this is the ultimate 'hate game'

alberick

played the campaign and a few custom matches and beware: if you are easily started DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

Even attacking with like 15 units vs 2 it's almost guaranteed that the opponent will roll a 6 all the time. You eventually get the territory but you lost like more than half of you troops.

Somehow i feel the dices are totally in favor of the AI.

plus the damn volcano always erupts when you are on it, ai it remains dormant most of the time.

AAAAAAAARGHHHHH

played the campaign and a few custom matches and plus the damn volcano always erupts when you are on it, ai it remains dormant most of the time.

So just conquer and leave there just one unit ;) You will still have it and You won't loose any unit. You can defend it from the outside.

I kept this 'continent' for the whole game just doing above.

I'd say that 4th mission is pain in the... 3 against one. But I've got idea what to do in the first place.

no it isn't, damn sure the ai favors itself by hitting 6's most of the time.:D

I noticed this too. Eventually I managed to start winning but during the first few games I played the dice seemed to be loaded in the A.I.'s favor. It was even able to successfully defend a country with just 2 guys when I attacked it with 10 because I kept rolling 2's and 3's and then every once in a while I'd roll a 5 or 6 and think "it's about time" then the sense of satisfaction was crushed when I saw that the A.I. had just tied my roll, and the defending troops always win the tie. Eventually I began to noticed that this happened to the a.I. as well when it attacked me when I earned the Ironman trophy during my third play through of the first map. Just keep playing eventually you'll start winning.

Tip: make sure if you get a choice for bonuses you choose carefully and don't just hit "X" to get to your turn more quickly. A bonus of "Add a additional die whenever you defend" is way better than the "Guaranteed card at end of turn" bonus.

Edited by jedi1josh
spelling error

Flame flame flame!!!

Be paranoid alberick. The whole world has it in for you and they're coming'.

I agree with alberick. I don't know much about how to figure out probabilities but if you have a unit of 8 men vs 1 man the laws of probability are on the side with 8 men. If you get to roll 3 dice against a lone trooper rolling only one die and he gets the high roll let's say 5 times in a row killing off more than half your troops, well that might not be astronomical by any means but I would think it to be a pretty rare feat. The problem here is that it happens every game, it happens so often in fact it might happen four or five times in one game. My only point I was making to alberick is that if you pay close attention it also happen to the AI when attacking each other and occasionally when attacking you. The Ironman trophy was one of the very first trophies I got playing this game. I got it during my first or second game, it shouldn't have been that easy to get.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this thread before playing the game because I was curious to see what a "hate game" was.

I kept this thread in mind when I was playing the tutorial and counted how many attacks I lost.

I lost 72/90 rolls while attacking before I turned the game off in disgust.

I would attack a territory that had 1 (yes 1) defending unit with my army of 8 and I would loose every single roll.

This happened to me 3 times - making it either impossible to keep a momentum going or just taking way too long to finish a game.

Needless to say I dont think I will be playing this one again.

no im not paranoid its just that....ok it might happen that you lose 8 men against 1 but it happens just too often, no matter if 8vs1 or 15 vs8 or whatever.

Maybe its just how the game's been programmd that the defender (no matter if AI or a human player) has a better chance to roll higher dices, thus the Ironman trophy (which would be impossible otherwise)

Listening to you guys bitch about the computer cheating on you just shows how ignorant you really are... this is how ALL Risk is played, not just the computer version! :p

Seriously, I have had games where three men in the middle of Russia held off the combined armies of Europe and Australia. Insanely dumb luck is a part of the game, but by the same token I've dumped a ton of reinforcements into a territory and then steam-rollered half the map, and I've done it on the PS3 version and the real version.

Also, a few things to keep in mind here;

#1 Defenders are STRONGER dice for dice. This means in a 2v2 or 1v1, the Defender will win more often than not.

#2 Defenders can get EVEN STRONGER!

3v3 follows the same rule as above - if the Defender has the +1 Dice bonus, expect to lose a LOT of soldiers shifting even 2 or 3 enemies.

Also, airfields can be used to grant the defender a +1 bonus to their highest dice roll. This means that they auto-win on a 5 or 6, which is 1/3rd of their possible rolls. Combine that with +1 dice, and you simply will not break them short of spamming an ungodly number of troops, or bulking up on offensive bonuses yourself.

well what we all thought the defender has a bias towards rolling a higher dice, which is normal as defending a position is easier than attacking. Also I noticed this without the defender having an airfield or the Defense die.

No need to get personal dude, if i would play Risk the board game with REAL dices, how would you make the defender roll higher numbers than the attacker?

I've played over 50 games and for the most part it is pretty fair. Every once in a while the rolls don't go in your favor and it seems like the computer is cheating, but other times I've had 15 armies steamroll a good portion of the map. If you check the war record on the main screen it tells how many times you've rolled each number and mine are all pretty close. It works both ways or the Ironman trophy would be REALLY hard to get.

• 2 weeks later...

LMFAO the computer is always against u, it's your opponent and trust me when I say this, I've had worse luck in real life then this game, I got one lucky fucking cousin that has the best luck in the world, he can win the mega millions lottery jackpots 10 times in a row if he wanted too and when u play risk with him, prepare to lose 100 men against one, and he doesnt gamble professionally he's 6. So for all u guys to say that this game is in complete favor, maybe it's cuz your playing stupid and ignorant idk I've done this a couple times and it's bit me in the ass

• 4 weeks later...

I'd definitely agree that the game is loaded in the AI favor for dice rolling. They do roll more 6's than the average, although I have a statistically significant higher number of 1's rolled over any other number too (although by only 3% deviation). Playing against friends and online, there is no advantage or disadvantage in the rolls from "loaded" electronic dice. I feel that the AI needs the advantage though since they make such poor decisions otherwise. Even with poor rolling, and an AI advantage, each level was beat first time through quite easily, assuming you have prior Risk experience. The AI performs well below that of even most beginners with only a dozen or so board game plays.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

there is a certain way to figure this game out very well though i am not as good at it as the pre 2008 pc version. not so bad at the board game version itself. my friends and i play risk very often don't like risk factions as much. the worst things about this game is the server issues of finding a match that is in you're own country, lol and of course the fact that i cannot play against a friend of mine with him having two other players. not even on player match/unranked!!!! that so pisses me off. though if you love risk you will buy it and you will like it. for some not at first. give it some time. same goes for Hoard on psn. i hope EA will release an older or newer version of the oldschool risk as well as risk factions 2!

Edited by UndergroundHipHopHead

• 5 months later...

I thought this was happening to me years ago, but some statistic tracking showed it was my imagination. The dice always favours the defender, but the defender gets no other bonus than draws equalling the victory for the defender. This game is no different than any other Risk in that regard.

Your best strategy is to let opponents attack you, not for you to attack them. Attack as little as possible. You're much more likely to lose a 20 vs 10 fight as the attacker than to lose a 20 vs 10 fight as the defender.

If you can secure the defence die, and ignore the temptation to expand beyond your ability to hold, you practically won the game right there.