How is the game?

Lurkki91

It looks decent enough for me to like (after all I liked Cursed Crusade :)), but I have a couple of questions first.

1. Combat: Is there only one sword combo? I only see people use swing - swing - sting in the videos.. It seems too little for such a long game.

2. Customization: Is the eye patch only item the main character has to wear? Or can it be replaced?

3. What's the best feature of the game for you?

Thanks for anyone sharing their opinions and experiences.

I would also like to know how this game plays. I've been looking forward to it for a while, but I've read quite a few negative reviews. Lackluster visuals, poor controls, and unbalanced gameplay are just a few of the gripes that have appeared in just about every review I've read.

Well...

The graphics and Frame Rate could use a small improvement but nothing really that bad at all.

The controls are fine except that the Combat itself is a bit sloppy and takes a bit to get used to, Deep Silver should have thought out how the character hits its target a bit better but I'm starting to think it gets a bit better later as you learn skills. Since there isn't "Levels" in this game, its just an Exp based thing called Glory where you beef up your Specific Skills sets and then you buy Skills to use them from NPC's, which in my opinion, are a bit pricey, especially so early in the game.

I don't think the eye patch is going away, seems to be universal character design for the main character, also apparently (like I was told by storyline early in the game) your character loses his eye some point before Risen 2 so the Eye Patch only makes sense to not come off.

I don't really have a "favorite feature" but I do like the difference of this game honestly. Its nice to do a Pirate RPG instead of the same medieval RPG's that are constantly released (as good as they still are), nice change of pace for awhile I'd think. However I do like the Fast Travel when your on Islands. Once you buy the Islands map and walk into areas of an Island they stay on the map and you can Fast Travel to those areas while on the Island instantly, the loading screen even only takes a second or two, its fast and simple.

Honestly though... If your a picky person for the games you play then this game isn't for you. There are flaws with it and it isn't a traditional RPG, end of story. But if your a person like me who doesn't have High Standards for games and just enjoys a nice change of pace from time to time, give Risen 2 a shot.

Edited by Lyrikk

@ Lyrikk.

Have you played Two Worlds II ? It sounds like the gameplay is a little similar, if so I can look past the "little" things. I really ended up enjoying TWII after awhile, even with all it's little flaws. It just took a little while to get used to it and after awhile I didn't even notice them.

Yeah I bought that awhile back, I really enjoyed it as well. The lip syncing in that game got to me a bit but I grew to ignore it. Thats an under rated game.

All i can say is how happy i am to of cancel my collectors edition and rented instead graphics are bad frame rate for such dated graphics is terrible, Gameplay well seems very sloppy maybe it will get better but theres much better games out there and still so many good games still to come this year.

My honest opinion of this game is it is a bitter disappointment.

I had such high hopes for this game and originally I was simply going to buy it as soon as it came out. Thankfully, I decided on the safer route (which ultimately saved me £35) and rented it.

The graphics are poor. Not to sound too hard on the developers, but come on... I've played PS2 games with far superior graphics to what is on show in Risen 2. The same goes for the frame rate. I can't tell you how annoying it is to be running and only take a few steps before the game has a mini COD lag moment and I flash forward like I have superpowers.

The loading screens are a pain in the ass also. I read that this game was limited open world with you being able to explore separate islands seamlessly. Not true. At the start of the game I had a quest to go and speak with my Commander. Yes, that was the entire quest. To speak to an NPC. I walked out of my room and up some stairs and right before I got to him it went to a loading screen, albeit a brief one, but still, a loading screen. And what for? Did the game need a moment to properly load up a fat man with a telescope. COME ON!!

Moving on.

The combat is deeply flawed. I will be honest and say I haven't got nearly that far into the game to know if it improves and if you actually get better combos. The combat I have experienced is far too broken though and I started to ask myself... is this really all this guy can do? Fortunately, your characters inability to dole out anything close to resembling a decent combat style that might swiftly dispatch an enemy is balanced out with shocking AI. During one sword fight the guy I was fighting actually stood perfectly still while I slowly cut away at his health. And it wasn't until his health dropped to 50% that I think he thought to himself "hey, I might die here" and actually fought back.

I could go on, but to sum up... this game is poor. Even if you don't have high standards this game will still probably disappoint you. Obviously everyone has there own opinion and for you to make your own you have to play it for yourself. I do recommend renting it though, or perhaps convincing one of your friends to rent it so you don't have to shell out a single penny.

Edited by ForceGrip86

Alright, let's start.

How are the characters ?

Characters are moderately diverse, and at times, quirky.

The body motions make some of the dialogue quite amusing at times, even better with some of the actual script also.

How is the combat ?

At the start of the game, if I mounted a sword to a wooden combat dummy, I would impale myself on it. Now, once you get a pistol and a musket, the game widens up, along with learning to kick and parry. Still pretty bad. bring with a crewman to damage soak and just shoot away, but it gets "Slightly" better.

How is the story ?

Cliched, big bad enemy awakens from people looting temple. Items spread out. Collect them. Dispatch big bad enemy.

Other things.

The exp and skill learning system is flawed.

At the start of the game you need to aquire MASSIVE amounts of gold to learn the base skills like kick and whatnot, which just isn't available. Also to learn to pickpocket and lockpick takes ALOT of money to learn. These skills are hugely beneficial to learn, and key for the game, but very expensive to learn.

Now - Personal opinion.

I like the game, took abit to get to grow on me, but once it did, it's actually pretty enjoyable.

Rent or buy - Unless you really love RPG's. I would rent it. Though buying the CE will net you the exp. packs and you may be a completionist who needs that 100% and several of the trophies are exp. pack related.

What amazes me is people trash this game for framerate issues when Dragons Dogma was an absolute cesspool of frame drops and equally horrible graphics that didn't justify them and yet people obsess over it enough to warrant a sequel.

But, all that aside, this game has some absolutely atrocious framerates and isn't worth a purchase at all. The battle system is abysmal as well. It was meant for PC and was horribly optimized for consoles, but if I remember right the first game was supposedly pretty bad as well but the main draw was exploration. Pass until you hear about the framerates being fixed.

Edited by Ziras

My honest opinion of this game is it is a bitter disappointment.

I had such high hopes for this game and originally I was simply going to buy it as soon as it came out. Thankfully, I decided on the safer route (which ultimately saved me £35) and rented it.

The graphics are poor. Not to sound too hard on the developers, but come on... I've played PS2 games with far superior graphics to what is on show in Risen 2. The same goes for the frame rate. I can't tell you how annoying it is to be running and only take a few steps before the game has a mini COD lag moment and I flash forward like I have superpowers.

The loading screens are a pain in the ass also. I read that this game was limited open world with you being able to explore separate islands seamlessly. Not true. At the start of the game I had a quest to go and speak with my Commander. Yes, that was the entire quest. To speak to an NPC. I walked out of my room and up some stairs and right before I got to him it went to a loading screen, albeit a brief one, but still, a loading screen. And what for? Did the game need a moment to properly load up a fat man with a telescope. COME ON!!

Moving on.

The combat is deeply flawed. I will be honest and say I haven't got nearly that far into the game to know if it improves and if you actually get better combos. The combat I have experienced is far too broken though and I started to ask myself... is this really all this guy can do? Fortunately, your characters inability to dole out anything close to resembling a decent combat style that might swiftly dispatch an enemy is balanced out with shocking AI. During one sword fight the guy I was fighting actually stood perfectly still while I slowly cut away at his health. And it wasn't until his health dropped to 50% that I think he thought to himself "hey, I might die here" and actually fought back.

I could go on, but to sum up... this game is poor. Even if you don't have high standards this game will still probably disappoint you. Obviously everyone has there own opinion and for you to make your own you have to play it for yourself. I do recommend renting it though, or perhaps convincing one of your friends to rent it so you don't have to shell out a single penny.

This. Totally.

I have to say that most of the complaints are pretty valid. But I somehow still like this game. It's not the best RPG ever, but it's still been funny and addictive. But then I'm one of the rare peolpe that didn't enjoy Skyrim because of the combat system.

Edited by blevensp1

I have to say that most of the complaints are pretty valid. But I somehow still like this game. It's not the best RPG ever, but it's still been funny and addictive. But then I'm one of the rare peolpe that didn't enjoy Skyrim because of the combat system.

I agree totally :) Its not the best action rpg for sure, but still has something about it that shines. I still enjoyed the first risen more tbh, but I am also one of the people that didnt like skyrim, however that is mainly due to the fact that I played morrowind and can see how far bethesda has truly fallen since then :( But when I first got this game, I was really looking forward to it but then became really worried when I started to play it. But for some reason a few hours into it, I was pretty hooked. Cant really explain why, just something about it just shines though I cant put my finger on it :) Some of the mobs types are really neat ideas and really worth playing just for some of them, and a lot of the dialogue is pretty funny and witty for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, this game IS quite nice once you get past the initial shock, just like the old Gothic games. While the graphics are not that good, they deliver great atmosphere at times and the jungle looks dense and convincing. The clear difference to many other games is that there is no dof effect blurring the distance and that makes it look quite rough.

Certainly recommended for those who think there aren't enough open western RPG's for PS3!

• 5 months later...