XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 03-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
BlackAsh

Default Powerslide technique

What's the best way to start a power slide?

tapping O does next to nothing, holding O too long creates oversteer
Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
LAUREANO011691

It took me a while to get the hang of it. It does vary from car to car. Id find one car you like, stick with that car for a while until you level up, then switch to a new car and learn that cars handling.

Basically you want to hold circle only for a little while (1-2 seconds) then balance your drift out. I use the left stick and sway back and forth (left to right to left to right...etc) to keep the car going the direction i want. I pretty much always hold the acceleration. Tap the breaks if your starting to lose control of your car. Doing so will help you have control of your steering. It does slow you down so make sure you only tap it a little (Unless your drift is so bad that your about the crash. In that case hold down the break to get full control).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
O BR

I personally just keep tapping the handbrake as long as I see the rear kick out. Then counter steer if needed (and depending on the car and the corner, you can control it a little more with easing the throttle). EDIT: Hmm, I guess it's more like knowing when the rear kicks out. For example on Wolfseye GT it takes two taps of the hand brake to get it into a slide.

On tighter turns I also use the normal brake while pressing the handbrake to decelerate faster and initiate the power slide at the same time.

Last edited by O BR; 03-31-2012 at 08:08 PM.
O BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Lurkki91

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Community Gaming Event Gold   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Its hard.. I found one car I can drive with though. Its the second last on the street category. Others are oversteering too easily. I cant get first on those domination races, but I guess practice helps.

Lurkki91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
BlackAsh

Hey, I just found out that Drifting is different than power sliding (what a Noob).

Drifting requires counter-steering while powersliding (just kicking out the rear) does not.

You can't powerslide through this game, you need to learn how to drift.

It takes some practice, I still occasionally oversteer scrubbing off too much speed.

Fun Fun game now that I know how to drive.

They really need(ed) to add a drifting tutorial to this game, I think a lot of people are getting turned off by how hard it is.

Last edited by BlackAsh; 04-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.
BlackAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Castel

Awards Showcase Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

I have to agree... I gave up on this game but went back to it one more time and finally started to get the hang of controlling the car(s) through the corners and am now more consistent in starring events after getting to know the tracks.

Still wouldn't call a great racer because the AI is rather brutal and just plain stupid sometimes (what's up with a car visually crashing in front of you and as you drive by the wreckage your position remains unchanged?!?!!!) but I am starting to enjoy it. For an arcade style racer drifting/sliding should have been more intuitive.

Aside from getting the feel of the tracks and controls, here are some observations that might be useful for people picking up this game.

- don't bother with the power 'shortcuts', they provide ZERO advantage in my experience except for a select few (the one that cuts of the really sharp corner can't think of the name atm and the baseball field)
- save your power boost for fragging and tanker trucks (very useful to create some breathing room once you capture 1st place)
- try to save a power for the last 1/4 of the track, you can either use it to prevent being fragged in the home stretch or to frag the CPU if they happen to sneak by you at the last moment
- don't wait too long to frag the lead car in the home stretch (if you are running 2nd), because they almost always use a power boost near the end so you won't be able to frag the 1st place car
- if you don't get near the front of the pack after the first lap just restart. It is my experience that is very hard to mount a comeback from 10-12th place after the first lap, but it is relatively 'easy' to maintain first place once you were able to create a 2-3 second lead
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
magmar126

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Member of the Month Winner   Platinum Submission   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

You should definately care for the Targets, maybe they're not immediate shortcuts but will help your power meter and getting several Targets will give awards.
These awards give XP (which you need to unlock later events) but also give a full boost when you meet the requirements.

I didn't bother fragging the AI, just went all out going for all targets and drift around every corner.
Using boost on straights should be common knowledge

magmar126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Castel

Awards Showcase Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmar126 View Post
You should definately care for the Targets, maybe they're not immediate shortcuts but will help your power meter and getting several Targets will give awards.
These awards give XP (which you need to unlock later events) but also give a full boost when you meet the requirements.

I didn't bother fragging the AI, just went all out going for all targets and drift around every corner.
Using boost on straights should be common knowledge
True, but my tips were geared towards winning the race. Say you have a full power bar and used it to crash a shortcut, most of the time you have to rebuild the power bar again at a time it could have been more useful to have it primed for a frag or to get out of trouble.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
O BR

^Actually on some cars there's a trick to using boost while drifting instead of saving it for the straights. Just a tip for ya.

And about the city targets. Your total score counts toward unlocking the later races within each district. If you keep avoiding the targets you'll going to have hard time meeting the score requirements.