My opinion on Uncharted

Uncharted is a very famos saga, and everyone usually sucks Naughty Dogs dick calling some of the greatest developers out there.

I disagree though. I bought the Uncharted Collection, and I almost regret it tbh. I havent even played Uncharted 3. I just dont feel like it. Some people say that Nuaghty Dog are the best on storytelling. Really? You need to play better games, watch better movies or read some quality books. These games are the definition of clichés and 1 dimensional characters. The shooting feels nice, except in Uncharted 1. Holy shit. They are like sponges and once you shoot them they move all over the place. The graphics in Uncharted 2 are really really good. Not gonna deny it. Even Uncharted 1 looks good. Havent tried 3 like I said. But damn man, why the fuck so much climbing in this game? Even the protagonist says it in Uncharted 2. They developers knew you had to climb like King Kong in this game.

All in all, Uncharted is overrated imo, along with Naughty Dog. They dont deserve so much praise. I bought the collection to see what people talked so much about, and found almost nothing. Kojima Productions, FromSoftware, even some indie studios like Thatgamecompany, deserve more credit.

Just my 2 cents.

I enjoy the climbing lol It breaks up the game so you aren't shooting bad guys 100% of the time and its during those bits the best lines of dialogue happen.

I think when a game is hyped up so much and then you come to the party late, you're bound to feel underwhelmed because time has past, the game maybe doesn't hold up to your expectations compared to newer games. At the time Uncharted 2 was mind blowing but now there are many other games that can do stuff better than older games could as technology advances etc... thats just the way it is.

Edited by LThriller5

My opinion on Uncharted

Uncharted is a very famos saga, and everyone usually sucks Naughty Dogs dick calling some of the greatest developers out there.

I disagree though. I bought the Uncharted Collection, and I almost regret it tbh. I havent even played Uncharted 3. I just dont feel like it. Some people say that Nuaghty Dog are the best on storytelling. Really? You need to play better games, watch better movies or read some quality books. These games are the definition of clichés and 1 dimensional characters. The shooting feels nice, except in Uncharted 1. Holy shit. They are like sponges and once you shoot them they move all over the place. The graphics in Uncharted 2 are really really good. Not gonna deny it. Even Uncharted 1 looks good. Havent tried 3 like I said. But damn man, why the fuck so much climbing in this game? Even the protagonist says it in Uncharted 2. They developers knew you had to climb like King Kong in this game.

All in all, Uncharted is overrated imo, along with Naughty Dog. They dont deserve so much praise. I bought the collection to see what people talked so much about, and found almost nothing.

I agree with pretty much everything here, though I do find the climbing fun. These games get far too much praise for what they are.

I didnt come to Uncharted with super high expectations. I definitely see why some people like Uncharted 2 so much. Graphics are great, etc. But there is really nothing new. Tell someone to play MGS 3, and the survival mechanic of having to hunt animals and search for fruits is still cool. What other games do that nowdays? Most games are dumbed down for the masses. I believe that you can still appreciate for what it is even if it is old, and Uncharted has nothing to offer.

You need to play better games, watch better movies or read some quality books.

Thank you for those excellent recommendations of specific games, movies, and books I should take a look at to see better stories than Uncharted. They definitely helped solidify your point. :applause: Not that it matters. Just because there are better stories than Uncharted doesn't mean Uncharted is immediately not enjoyable.

Uncharted has nothing to offer.

:facepalm:

Uncharted is like a summer action movie. Nothing too deep, it's not going to change the face of the medium, but it's still enjoyable. Yeah, people definitely overrated the games, but to say it has nothing to offer is just taking things to the opposite extreme, and is laughably stupid. Especially after you said in your first post that "the shooting feels nice" and "the graphics are really really good". Maybe you didn't realize this, but shooting that feels good and nice graphics are things the games offer. :rolleyes: Some people enjoy the climbing bits as well, which is another thing the games offer.

Edited by mjc0961

100% agree with everything said in the OP (well, I didn't hate climbing so much but yeah). Not even interested in playing UC3 after 1-2. Cliché stories (the main part everyone praises in them), very average TPS gameplay. The only standout is the graphics, that's indeed awesome. But that's not what I play games for.

People love Uncharted because they're basically interactive Action movies...really awesome action movies.

Not to mention they're some of the most polished games on the market, have some of the best voice over work in gaming history, and provide real time cutscenes, something that wasn't really heard of when they came out.

Naughty Dog created masterpieces with the UC games, IMO. UC4 is the game I've been anticipating the most.

I agree with what MJC said.

To say the games offer nothing is ridiculous, the series has hit critical acclaim and blends together a myriad of elements in a complete game package.

When Uncharted 2 released in 2009 there was no blockbuster like film similar to it, it stood out as a cinematic masterpiece.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, to say they offer nothing is still completely absurd but I guess most people have a game series/dev they don't like or find overrated, personally I find every 4 hour long with no replay value game churned out by Platinum extremely overrated, but hey that's me.

Edited by Sellers

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, to say they offer nothing is still completely absurd but I guess most people have a game series/dev they don't like or find overrated, personally I find every 4 hour long with no replay value game churned out by Platinum games extremely overrated, but hey that's me.

Those games have 10x more replay value than any of Uncharted, because they actually have some variety in their gameplay mechanics. Uncharted, like you all said, is closer to an interactive action movie which is more of a watch one time thing.

Very bad example to compare to Platinum games... their games are the exact opposite of what you're describing.

Those games have 10x more replay value than any of Uncharted, because they actually have some variety in their gameplay mechanics. Uncharted, like you all said, is closer to an interactive action movie which is more of a watch one time thing.

Very bad example to compare to Platinum games... their games are the exact opposite of what you're describing.

I'm not comparing, I am just saying I find Platinum games overrated because their games are extremely short and for me offer no replay value.

Shame they took the multiplayer of Uncharted 2 at least, this added to its value.

I dont understand this part: "When Uncharted 2 released in 2009 there was no blockbuster like film similar to it, it stood out as a cinematic masterpiece."

No blockbuster film similar to it? I am not a fan of the big blockbuster movies like The Avengers, or Transformers, but I think that movies with a lot of explosions (Michael Bay) and people shooting at each other are out there by the thousands. How was Uncharted a unique cinematic experience? Isnt Uncharted a copy of Indiana Jones?

And by nothing to offer I mean something "interesting" or "relatively new/innovative". Many games have "Nice shooting" and "Nice graphics". Yes, that is something. But not something that would make me remember the game from the other 10 games that I have with nice graphics and nice shooting.

I dont care if the game is critically acclaimed. Every year COD gets a good score and it is a garbage game.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Please use the edit/multi quote button instead of multi-posting.

I've only played U2 but its not particularly standout game for me, Demons Souls released the same year absolutely destroys it in every way that matters in a video game imo, but Sony didnt believe that game was even worth publishing in the West lol shows you the kind of games they want to push which is sad.

The fact that cinematics, story and voice actor performances are the main bullet points everyone uses to recommend Naughty Dog games (including TLOU) tells you everything you need to know about their movie...err I mean 'games'.

1) Everyone has differing opinions on a game, so i'm not surprised that you don't like it

2) These games are the definition of clichés and 1 dimensional characters. -How so? You stated a lot of opinions in your post, but you never provide examples to back up your points.

3) ...You need to play better games, watch better movies or read some quality books... -This one really annoys me. So just because I like the Uncharted franchise and you don't, it automatically equates to me having s*** taste?

Edited by Liv3urway

The Uncharted games are incredibly fun. Escapism in it's purest form. The characters and their interactions are brilliant, which I think leads to most people confusing that as the game having a great story. Interesting, but not something I think about when thinking about the best stories.

Still, the games have plenty to offer. Hence, why they're so loved and critically acclaimed by many.

I dont care if the game is critically acclaimed. Every year COD gets a good score and it is a garbage game.

Well, critics judge games on a wide variety of features. They don't judge a game based on it having features they don't personally like, such as climbing, for example. Which is why I'd always trust a critic over a gamer.

And by nothing to offer I mean something "interesting" or "relatively new/innovative". Many games have "Nice shooting" and "Nice graphics". Yes, that is something. But not something that would make me remember the game from the other 10 games that I have with nice graphics and nice shooting.

Well it's all subjective, for some reason it irks you that people hold the series up high. If you don't like it that's fine, barely any games do innovative things these days, I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting.

What makes Uncharted's story work is that it knows exactly what it is. Until Dawn has recently got praises for the same reason. It doesn't try to be something it's not. Cliched by design, which isn't always a bad thing despite the negative connotation the word "cliched" brings. There's a reason why the Fast and the Furious series has 7 movies going on 10.

It gets praises not because we think it has an Oscar level story, but because we love the characters and have had a lot of fun with the story. More than we have most games. Just because a lot of people feel that way about Uncharted, doesn't mean everyone will. We've all played games praised to no end and have been left extremely disappointed. I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since ACII because I thought it was awful on all fronts. Yet someone reading this post will think I'm crazy for feeling that way about ACII. We all have different tastes. Turns out you didn't like Uncharted. It happens.

Replay value will always be dictated on a gamer by gamer basis. I've played Uncharted 2 for more hours than it took me to 100% Fallout 3. I have 22 playthroughs throughout the four games. I still have speedruns and Brutal to go through, which I'm really excited for. Can't get enough of them! We may agree that The Order has no replay value, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who's put 50+ hours into the game.

I played UC1 and, while it was enjoyable in gameplay, I found it to be almost intolerable. The characters are so damned cliché, and the story was mind numbingly underwritten, that I just couldn't bring myself to even try UC2 out of fear that it'd be like the unwanted sequel of a movie released a decade ago.

Don't get me wrong, I understand its appeal, the gameplay was great (as I said). But the characters, I just knew that Sully was the sleazy old man who'd met a woman in every bar in the Carribean as soon as I saw that slicked back hair and creepy moustache. In fact all of the characters had their scripts cut and pasted from some Indiana Jones movie or something.

And the story, oh man. It started off great, I was intrigued, but then it must've hit 5 O'Clock and the writters wanted to get home before dinner was cold, so suddenly... (maybe spoilers?)

[spoiler=aghrealmonsters]so suddenly, they just explain everything away with monsters. "Wow, this thing happened? Oh, they're monsters, just 'cause." Explaining away the ending with monsters was the easy way out.

I guess they were trying for a curve ball, some massive twist, thing. But it ended up just falling flat on its face.

Anyway, for those reasons, yea, I won't be touching any other UC.

Bonus round: The line of "Wow, nobody's ever been in this ruins/cave for the last two hundred years!" being said in a room lit by lights powered by a nearby diesel generator happened a few too many times for me too...

Edited by Metdevil

1) Everyone has differing opinions on a game, so i'm not surprised that you don't like it

2) These games are the definition of clichés and 1 dimensional characters. -How so? You stated a lot of opinions in your post, but you never provide examples to back up your points.

3) ...You need to play better games, watch better movies or read some quality books... -This one really annoys me. So just because I like the Uncharted franchise and you don't, it automatically equates to me having s*** taste?

2)Love between the male protagonist and the female protagonist. Villain wants huge amounts of power to conquer the world/become immortal. Villain has the behavior and aspect of a psychopath (scars, big, muscles). Magical thing with super powers (the blue pool from U2). Explosions in a train, car, helicopters. The protagonist has a goofy personality but actually is very strong, smart, is a good person, etc. Etc. I could go on but I would have to replay the game.

3) I never said that. You can like it. But the more you know, the better your point of reference. With more knowledge and experience, you can make better comparisons. For example, if you only watch Disney or Pixar movies, that is all you know about animated movies. But if you expand your horizon, with movies like Le Tableu, Colorful, or Princess Kaguya, now you are going to see Disney movies in a different way.

The Uncharted games are incredibly fun. Escapism in it's purest form. The characters and their interactions are brilliant, which I think leads to most people confusing that as the game having a great story. Interesting, but not something I think about when thinking about the best stories.

Still, the games have plenty to offer. Hence, why they're so loved and critically acclaimed by many.

Well, critics judge games on a wide variety of features. They don't judge a game based on it having features they don't personally like, such as climbing, for example. Which is why I'd always trust a critic over a gamer.

I dont understad the part of "interactions with characters". What is so special about them?

And I believe that the big critics most of the time just give good scores to hyped and big AAA games. Just go to Metacritic, many games have 8.5 by the "official critics", while the user score could be 5 or even less. I believe gamers more. Nonetheless, there are some youtubers who I relatively trust when it comes to reviews. They are not big and popular like Pewdiepie, and that is why I trust them. They dont get paid.

What makes Uncharted's story work is that it knows exactly what it is. Until Dawn has recently got praises for the same reason. It doesn't try to be something it's not. Cliched by design, which isn't always a bad thing despite the negative connotation the word "cliched" brings. There's a reason why the Fast and the Furious series has 7 movies going on 10

The problem with clichés is that it makes it predictable. Have you ever gone to watch a blockbuster movie like The Avengers, Batman, Ironman, expecting the good guys to be defeated? I already know the ending of the movie! Something bad happens (the obstacle the heroes have to overcome), the heroes fix it, the end. Sometimes an extra dies like the guy with the arrows in The Avengers 2. I dont know how people dont get tired of it. I mean, it is the same everytime.

Same in games. If you play Bloodborne, would you be able to predict the ending of the game? Hell no. That makes it interesting. The environments of Bloodborne are fantastic, well designed, not cliché at all. That makes it intriguing.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Please use the edit/multi quote button instead of multi-posting.

I wouldn't say Uncharted has not re-playability just because its a linear story based game. I've replayed all the Uncharted games many times, I would say at least once a year. For me its like when people sit down to watch their favourite movie for the umpteenth time because they enjoy it and want to experience the story again.

I want to hear my favourite lines again, watch all the cutscenes, replay through my favourite sections etc... Uncharted 2 is my favourite game but I also really enjoy the Dark Souls games too. Different games tick different boxes of enjoyment for me as with everyone else and I'm glad theres such a wide variety of games out there to suit everyones different tastes.

Everyone won't like every game as much as others, I liked The Last of Us about as much as the Uncharted series but didn't think it was anywhere near the best game I've ever played like a lot of people. Naughty Dog is probably my favorite developer for linear games with good stories but everyone has their own opinions. :)

I dont understad the part of "interactions with characters". What is so special about them?

The humour, the camaraderie, the care that they have each other; all backed up by fantastic voice acting.

And I believe that the big critics most of the time just give good scores to hyped and big AAA games. Just go to Metacritic, many games have 8.5 by the "official critics", while the user score could be 5 or even less. I believe gamers more. Nonetheless, there are some youtubers who I relatively trust when it comes to reviews. They are not big and popular like Pewdiepie, and that is why I trust them. They dont get paid.

Those gamers on Metacritic that either give the game a score of 10/10 or 0/10? Hence why the user score is usually 5/10? Those gamers? :/

This comes back to my biggest issue with amateur reviewers like your average gamer: 'I don't like side-scrolling platformers so LittleBigPlanet gets a 0/10!!!'.

The idea that critics get paid to write nice reviews gets bundled around a lot. Didn't stop Destiny, Battlefront and COD: Ghosts from getting average reviews.

100% agree with everything said in the OP (well, I didn't hate climbing so much but yeah). Not even interested in playing UC3 after 1-2. Cliché stories (the main part everyone praises in them), very average TPS gameplay. The only standout is the graphics, that's indeed awesome. But that's not what I play games for.

^This.

I also think the series is a bit overrated, at least mechanically from a TPS aspect, when excellent TPS games like Max Payne 3, Vanquish and even the new Tomb Raider exist. I know the game is more than a TPS (puzzles, platforming, etc.), but it is it's core mechanic.

Having said all that, to say it has nothing to offer is quite ridiculous.

Edited by rotoninja