Eric's Favorite Games of the Generation

Hey everyone! I'm back with my 3rd(?) editorial, with the new generation of consoles now released into the wild I though it would be a perfect time to list my top 5 PS3 exclusive games and my top 5 games of the generation. Keep in mind that I haven't played every game ever released. So if anyone gives a shit about my opinions sit down and get comfortable. :)

NOTE: I do have one game on both lists so I just copied what I said and put it on both.

Top 5 PS3 Exlusives

1. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix

Let me just start by saying I'm a massive KH fanboy so I tend to overlook some of these games flaws a bit more than others. Anyway I have loved this series since I played the first game way back in 03' or 04' (can't remember which) and have played almost every game released, so when I heard they were finally going to make an HD collection I was thrilled to say the least. This game comes with KH1, KH RE:Com and the cutscenes from 358/2 days. KH1 is the best of the two full games on disc but if you are a fan you will play RE:Com just for the story. I wasn't very upset when I found out that 358/2 wouldn't be playable because frankly, that game was pretty weak. These games look great in HD and having trophies to go for motivated me to do everything I possibly could. All in all a great game.

2. LittleBigPlanet 2

I wasn't expecting much back when I played the first LBP but it pleasantly surprised me with its fun game play and the amazing levels other players came up with. Even though I sucked at making levels I still had tons of fun messing around with my friends in the level creator. The second game took everything I loved about the first game and improved it, adding new gadgets and new ways to make levels. This is one of those games I can play for hours without really doing anything and come away with a smile on my face.

3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

This is another game that took everything great from the first game and improved upon it, from starting the game climbing a train that is falling off a cliff to running on top of that same train later in the story, this game keeps you on your toes. Excellent graphics and great game play kept every fight fun and every set piece moment jaw dropping, I never knew what was coming next. Combined with the pretty fun multiplayer this game had some decent replay value as well.

4. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time

As a long time fan of the Ratchet and Clank games this game was an easy purchase. It combined the tried and true game play from the earlier games with new locations, weapons, gadgets and enemies and provided a great game that I still occasionally play to this day. This was the last great Ratchet game (I haven't played Nexus yet) and I hope they return to this type of game in the future rather than games like All 4 One.

5. God of War 3

Another game that I am a longtime fan of, this game seemed to take forever to come out after I saw the big cliff-hanger ending of the second game. This one really delivered with its great game play and creative deaths, there was never a dull moment to be had. Watching Kratos finally get his revenge was epic and something I won't soon forget.

Edited by Eric-B14

Top 5 Games of the Generation

1. Bioshock Infinite

I just finished this game yesterday and I can honestly say I enjoyed this game more than any other in recent memory. From the great story to exploring the mysterious Columbia I was enthralled the entire time. Every character was interesting and unique with recordings adding backstory to most of them. This game will really make you think, especially the farther you get in the story. The only complaint I have with this game is the combat was pretty repetitive, other than that this game is perfect to me.

2. Red Dead Redemption

After being fairly disappointed by GTA IV I was wary to try another RockStar game, but boy am I glad I did. This game was amazing, the only good western I have ever played. The story is about an old bandit trying to hunt down the members of his old gang so he can finally enjoy a quiet life with his family, its a great story to say the least with a fantastic ending. I played this game for hours just hunting animals or exploring around the towns and wilderness and was never bored even for a second. There's a lot of fun to be had by playing with your friends online also.

3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I was pretty hyped for this game and it didn't disappoint. I will admit I was worried when I heard about all the glitches this game had but luckily I didn't play it until after it had been out for awhile so most of the really bad glitches were long gone. I had a lot of fun on this game and still play it once in awhile just because its so easy to pick up and explore for a few hours without having to think too much. Most of the fun I had was just from exploring and seeing what trouble I could cause. The only thing I dislike about this game is the freaking glitchy DLC trophies that screwed me out of my 100% but I won't talk to much about that because I could seriously write half a book on why that pisses me off. Aside from that I love this game and am waiting for a return to Tamriel in the future.

4. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix

Let me just start by saying I'm a massive KH fanboy so I tend to overlook some of these games flaws a bit more than others. Anyway I have loved this series since I played the first game way back in 03' or 04' (can't remember which) and have played almost every game released, so when I heard they were finally going to make an HD collection I was thrilled to say the least. This game comes with KH1, KH RE:Com and the cutscenes from 358/2 days. KH1 is the best of the two full games on disc but if you are a fan you will play RE:Com just for the story. I wasn't very upset when I found out that 358/2 wouldn't be playable because frankly, that game was pretty weak. These games look great in HD and having trophies to go for motivated me to do everything I possibly could. All in all a great game.

5. Fallout 3

Another game from the makers of Skyrim, this one takes place in post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. Just like Skyrim, alot of the fun in this one comes from just going out into the wastes and exploring, you'll come across new locations, travelling merchants and tons of enemies to shoot in the face. One of the coolest things about this game is the V.A.T.S system which allows you to freeze the game and select which part of an enemy you would like to attack, its a neat feature that I used all the time. The only reason this is lower than Skyrim is that I had a lot of freezes with this game, which did impede the fun I was having, still one of my favorite games though.

Thanks for reading everyone, let me know what you think. :D

Edited by Eric-B14

• 2 months later...

Nice list! I definitely agree with Fallout 3, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, and Bioshock (never played Infinite, but I'd say either 1 or 2 are both great and deservant of the spot).

I'd personally throw Metal Gear Solid 4 on there as a game of the generation, and maybe Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, as that certainly was majorly influential for FPS's and a ton of fun.

Edited by JDefense96