Jdimaria3's Reviews (Vita, PS3, PS4)

Jdimaria3's Reviews

Hi guys,

I actually have created a website where I have begun to review PS3, PS4, and Vita games. I will post reviews in here but include links if people want to see how it looks on the full site.

Comment and let me know if you agree/disagree with my scores and what you think of my reviews. If there are any ways to improve them, I'm all ears.

Reviews:

PS3:

Minecraft: PS3 Edition

PS4:

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Vita:

Resistance: Burning Skies

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Cross Platform:

Sound Shapes

Thomas Was Alone

The Walking Dead

Edited by JDefense96
New format

Resistance: Burning Skies Review

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

Developer: Nihilistic Software

Genre: First - Person Shooter

Release Date: May 29, 2012

MSRP: $39.99

How does the first true portable dual analog FPS fare?

Resistance: Burning Skies is the most recent Resistance game to release (following 2011's Resistance 3) and second portable Resistance adventure (Resistance: Retribution released on the PSP in 2009). The series has been consistently been released to widespread critical acclaim, but that's no surprise coming from a developer as talented as Insomniac. However, unlike those games, this one was not developed by Insomniac or SCE Bend; it was developed by a rather unknown, new studio: Nihilistic Software. So, how did they do in bringing such a great series to the Vita? Rather well, actually.

Resistance: Burning Skies follows the story of a firefighter named Tom Riley, who we play as in the initial days of the Chimeran invasion. Early in the story, Tom's family leaves for a protection camp, and he stays behind to help fend of the invaders. He later goes to find them only to discover their camp was attacked by the Chimera and they were kidnapped. From there on, it's your pretty standard fare for an FPS. The story isn't particularly interesting, but it's definitely not bad; it was good enough to keep me playing, and that's what counts. The voice acting for all characters was well done. One thing that slightly bothered me were the cutscenes in between missions (of which there are six in the game, and will take approximately 6 hours to complete). These cutscenes are presented in a comic book style, minute long scene from a different characters perspective. I would've preferred if it related more closely to Tom and his story. It is not majorly detrimental to the game, because what is presented in these scenes is good.

The graphics in the game look great. I encountered a few technical glitches and hiccups in my time playing (one of which involved a killed Chimera floating in the air and suddenly spiraling off to the side) but, again, they were not detrimental to the experience at all. This is one of the better looking games on the Vita, but it is not Uncharted: Golden Abyss quality. However, for a handheld, these are great.

Now, to what everyone cares most about: the gameplay. The game does play fundamentally like a first person shooter on one of our home consoles. The only real difference is that because of the lack of triggers, grenades and secondary fire was remapped to the touchscreen (which work as you want them to for the most part), and the lack of a clickable left and right stick means that running and meleeing were also remapped to the touchscreen (though you can also run by pushing down on the d-pad, which works very well because of its close proximity to the left stick; you can hold down the run button without removing your thumb from the stick, which is very convenient). Gunplay is tight and responsive, just as an FPS should be. If you're looking for an FPS fix on the go, this will definitely quench that thirst.

There is also a multiplayer component, though this leaves some things to be desired. There are not many modes; multiplayer consists of either small or large games (your choice) of deathmatch and team deathmatch. There is a "all modes" option which just plays all the modes in one plalist and mixes up the order in which you play them. A survival game mode was later added on, and while the idea is interesting, it wasn't executed quite well; games are over in about a minute or less every time (it consists of 2 Chimera and 6 humans; if a Chimera kills a human, they respawn as a Chimera. The game goes until everyone is a Chimera). There is a steady progression system that could warrant you to return to the multiplayer, if it weren't for one glaring problem: matchmaking is absolutely horrid. The amount of people playing is rather low, and the only game mode I was ever able to get into a lobby for was "all modes" (it seems like basically every single person plays in this mode). When I got into a lobby (which did happen every time I clicked "all modes"), I was very frequently disconnected from the lobby and booted back to the main multiplayer screen and forced to re-enter matchmaking. However, when I was finally able to get into a game, the game ran flawlessly. I never encountered any glitches of any sort.

Overall, this is a good debut portable, twin stick FPS. I expect as the Vita gets older, developers will hone their ability to create good FPS games for it and better improve their servers and matchmaking. If you're looking for a portable FPS, this is your best bet for the time being.

Pros:

+Solid gameplay

+Good looking graphics

+Good voice acting

Cons:

-Story is somewhat lacking

-Multiplayer matchmaking is poor

8.0 Graphics: The graphics are great, especially for a portable game. It consistently looks crisp and there are very few graphical glitches.

8.0 Sound: Voice acting is good, sound affects are classic FPS fare, and the occasional orchestral piece is nice.

8.5 Gameplay: Gameplay is precise and fun. Some touchscreen remapping doesn't quite always work as wanted which can be aggravating, but for the most part it is well executed.

7.0 Lasting Appeal: No real reason to play through the single player story again (you can get the platinum trophy from one playthrough), but if you're willing to stick through poor matchmaking then there is plenty to come back for in the multiplayer department.

Overall: 8.0

Great

Edited by JDefense96

Sound Shapes Review

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

Developer: Queasy Games

Genre: Platformer

Release Date: August 7, 2012

MSRP: $14.99

A fantastic musical platformer:

At its core, Sound Shapes is a musical platformer. By collecting circles scattered throughout each level, new components are added to the background music. When the music is in full effect, it sounds amazing. I recommend playing the game with headphones, if you have the option; it will make the music sound even better than just coming from the Vita's speakers. Gameplay is simple but fun - if you're familiar with sidescrolling platformers, you'll feel right at home here.

As you can probably guess from the game being a musical platformer, the sound design is absolutely amazing. The game is made up of five albums (worlds), each containing a few stages (there are a total of 20 stages in the main campaign). Each album has a different musical artist contributing to the music for that set of stages (this includes I Am Robot and Proud, Jim Guthrie, deadmau5, Beck, and developer Queasy Games) which adds nice variety to the few hours you'll spend playing through the campaign. Each album also has a very distinct visual style (which are created by different artists, including Vic Nguyen (Capy), Superbrothers, Colin Mancer, PixelJam, Pyramid Attack, and developer Queasy Games), which adds nice graphical variety. The graphics are simple, yet detailed and beautiful. The game looks great both on the Vita and on the big screen on the PS3.

Gameplay is your classic platformer fare, which is by no means a bad thing. You play as a blob (who can stick to many surfaces - this is very helpful), and your only goal is to get to the record at the end to complete the level and advance, collecting circles along the way. Controls are simple, tight and responsive, and vehicles are occasionally added to levels to incorporate new gameplay elements and environments and keep things fresh. By completing a level, you unlock items and sounds to use in creating your own levels - yes, you have a full featured level editor in which you can design both the visual look using unlocked objects and the audio using unlocked sounds. These levels can be uploaded to the community, and likewise you can download other people's created levels and albums - and play them offline whenever you want! After completing all 20 levels, you unlock two new modes; Death Mode and Beat School. Death Mode is essentially one portion of a level in which you have to collect a certain amount of circles within a certain period of time - and it's called death mode for a reason. Some levels aren't too bad, but other levels are extremely difficult to complete in the allotted time limit, and you will die. A lot. This adds a nice challenge and some replay value, because for each death mode level you beat, you earn a trophy. Beat School, on the other hand, is much more laid back. You hear an audio piece and try to recreate it using the in game creation tools. These also add more replay value, because you also earn a trophy for each of the beat school levels you complete.

If you have the $15 in your PSN wallet to spend, I would strongly encourage you to purchase this game. It's fun and addictive gameplay doesn't get old, there are plenty of reasons to keep coming back, and with a fantastic sound and art design to boot, you can't go wrong with Sound Shapes.

Pros:

+Amazing sound design

+Beautiful graphics

+Fun gameplay

+Plenty of reasons to keep coming back

Cons:

-Some death mode levels are VERY difficult

9.0 Graphics: The graphics are beautiful yet overall simplistic. Very varied art designs in the levels.

10 Sound: The sound design in this game is phenomenal throughout. Different artists and user created tracks keep things fresh. Collectable circles during the levels add new sound components to each level. Sounds great with headphones.

9.0 Gameplay: Gameplay is fun throughout. Death mode can get pretty difficult, but it is doable. There is a variety of gameplay elements thanks to vehicles, many different environments, and user created levels.

9.0 Lasting Appeal: Thanks to 20 campaign levels, 20 death mode levels, 16 beat school levels, a full blown level creator of your own, and a dedicated community creating many of their own levels and albums (which can be downloaded to your system and played whenever you want), there are plenty of reasons to keep coming back.

Overall: 9.1

Outstanding

Edited by JDefense96

Thomas Was Alone Review

Publisher: Curve Studios

Developer: Curve Studios/Mike Bithell

Genre: Platformer

Release Date: April 23, 2013

MSRP: $9.99

A simple but moving platformer:

Thomas Was Alone's developer describes the game as being about "friendship and jumping." That's good, because the game hits these two themes perfectly. The game follows a red rectangle named Thomas, the first self aware AI. In the beginning, he is alone. But as you progress through the game, Thomas meets more and more rectangles. Each rectangle has their own personalities - some are friendly, others are cold - and abilities - one can float on water, one can jump really high, one can stack itself to make a staircase of sorts, one acts as a trampoline to bounce the other rectangles higher, etc. Despite there being no facial expressions on these solid color rectangles, the narrator does a fantastic job of getting emotions across through his voice. You can identify with some rectangles and dislike other ones. Each rectangle has its own very distinct personality and you will care for these characters by the end - especially when some rectangles develop friendships or even crushes on other rectangles!

Gameplay consists of controlling the rectangles - all of them at some points - and getting them to the end of the level. Some levels will bend your mind with how to need to use the rectangles to help each other get to the finish. Others require fast paced platforming, and others require very precise platforming - these get a bit difficult and frustrating but once you get used to it it isn't so bad. While all the rectangles will eventually be together at some point, you will get some levels where you're only using two or three of them - this allows for character and relationship building, which adds a lot to the story and overall experience. The controls are very tight and responsive, but there will be a couple misjudged jumps that result in frustrating deaths. The checkpoint system is somewhat forgiving so this isn't a big issue though.

The graphics are minimalistic but attractive, the sound design is great, and the gameplay is fun. The only thing on the lacking side is the lasting appeal. To beat all 100 levels, it will take around 3-5 hours, and will often be completed in just 1-3 sittings. There are 20 tiny, hidden squares to find (which earn you trophies), but after finding those, there really isn't reason to play again. This is a story best experienced its first time through; afterwards it loses some of that special charm you got from your initial playthrough. Overall, I would definitely recommend Thomas Was Alone to anyone who likes platforming gameplay with a puzzle twist.

Pros:

+Minimalist but attractive graphics

+Fantastic and emotion filled narration, great soundtrack

+Fun gameplay that makes you think and make precise movements to complete the level and solve puzzles

+Some collectables to be found...

Cons:

-...but they don't add or unlock anything

-No real lasting value

8.5 Graphics: The graphics are minimalistic yet still undeniably attractive

10 Sound: The narration is fantastic, it conveys lots of emotions that really make you care for these rectangles; the soundtrack is great as well

9.0 Gameplay: The gameplay is fun - it does make you think to complete some puzzles and reach certain objectives, and some platforming sequences do require very precise jumps and placements of rectangles, but its an overall very enjoyable experience

7.0 Lasting Appeal: The story is great, but there isn't really a reason to play through it again. You may want to go back to get the collectables if you care about trophies, but otherwise there isn't a very compelling reason to play through again

Overall: 8.4

Great

The Walking Dead Review

Publisher: Telltale Games

Developer: Telltale Games

Genre: Adventure

Release Date: August 20, 2013

MSRP: $20 (digital), $25 (retail)

One of the greatest adventures in video games:

Telltale's The Walking Dead, released in 5 episodes throughout 2012 for the PS3/360/PC/Mac/iOS, was critically acclaimed, taking home many game of the year awards (including the VGA's). Now, after its initial announcement in March 2013, The Walking Dead has made its way to the Vita, with the "400 Days" DLC. The result is the ability to use touch controls and take the game on the go, something that is perfect for a "point and click" adventure game such as this, and at the $25 retail/$20 digital price point, that's equivalent to getting the 400 Days DLC/400 Days DLC and episode 5 for free, respectively - that's a great deal.

The story follows Lee Everett, a man who was in the backseat of a police car on his way to jail with a life sentence for murdering his wife and the man she cheated on him with, a state senator, when everything hits the fan. The car hits a person in the road and veers off into the woods. Lee wakes up to gunshots, screaming, and blood everywhere, and this is when you are able to take more control over him. He makes his way to a house where he finds a little girl surviving on her own: Clementine. Lee takes her under his wing and makes it his goal to protect her, no matter the cost.

Gameplay consists of interacting with objects in the environment to solve puzzles (that are generally pretty easy, but still fun and interesting), and talking to characters. This is a heavily story driven game with A LOT of dialogue. Lee is frequently presented with choices - these can be anything from what time of day to explore, to choosing who you want to side with in an argument, to being forced to choose which one of two people you want to save in a life and death situation. These are already intense decisions, but they are made even more tense by the fact that nearly every choice is on a timer. You literally have a matter of seconds to make some of these choices, and that's hard to do. I paused the game once or twice to ponder my options for a few minutes, (weighing the pros and cons of each result), before making a choice. These choices have lasting consequence. Something you do in episode 1 could come back to bite you in episode 4, for example.

Because the Vita sports a touch screen there are two control options; using the face buttons and analog sticks like on consoles, or using the touchscreen to select prompts/responses and look around. The game is perfect for touch devices, so I'd recommend using that, but both control schemes work great. Touch screen prompts, such as sliding your finger across the screen to throw a zombie in that direction, are added, and these work great. They aren't an annoyance at all like many quick time events, and are used sparingly. There is one slight downside to the gameplay, however. Whenever there is a transition from a cutscene to a gameplay scene, or even occasionally from cutscene to cutscene, there is a momentary freeze, usually taking about 5 seconds to pass. The game runs fine during gameplay, but these transitions are kind of annoying. Granted, this did also happen in the console version, but it was rarer; this happens between literally almost every scene. I also encountered another small glitch once or twice in which I would press an on screen button to select my choice, but the game wouldn't register it no matter how many times I tapped it. This was fixed by exiting to the main menu and re-loading my save. However, don't let these issues keep you from buying a fantastic game; it's just a minor annoyance in the overall picture.

As the game is based on the comic books by Robert Kirkman and co., the art style features lots of comic book style, cel-shaded graphics. These look great and are a welcome change of scenery from the often "hyper-realistic" graphics seen in many of todays games. There are occasionally graphical glitches, but these are all small when you're really absorbed in the game, barely noticeable. The game is dark and brutal, and as a result there are a lot of dark and moody colors (browns, grays, dull greens, etc). There are occasional bright areas, but these are few and far between.

For a game that features a lot of dialogue, there needs to be good voice acting. Telltale knocked it out of the park with the voice actors here. Each one really conveys emotion in their character and made it their own. Their actions and vocal emotions really helped me as a player connect with each character in some way, which made choosing between them even harder. Some choices I had to make on my feet, while others tested my moral boundaries. I played my Lee as if I was him - instead of "what would Lee do?", it was, "what would I do?". Many choices are full of shades of grey; there are very rarely strict black and white choices, and these pushed my moral boundaries to the limit. The sound design is solid, and the actual soundtrack is fantastic. It really hits the emotional notes in all the right places.

When a game is heavily story and character driven, you expect a good ending. Telltale yet again nailed it; this is quite frankly one of the most emotional endings I have ever experienced in any medium. The voice acting combined with the soundtrack created a fantastic end to a fantastic story that was in fact able to bring me to tear up. Oh, and be sure to stick around after the credits for a bonus scene!

Including the 400 Days DLC was a nice bonus by Telltale, especially for the price point. The actual DLC is good - it's definitely a good prologue to season 2, though it is pretty short at around 1-1.5 hours. The new characters are definitely relatable, and some of the ways Telltale tied their stories together, along with some season 1 easter eggs if you play very close attention, was genius and definitely created some tension when the characters were finally bound to meet up. I wasn't a big fan of Bonnie, but liked the 5 other main characters. Despite only playing as each character for around 15 minutes, there are some pretty heavy and consequential choices to be made. I'm interested to see how this leads into season 2 now, especially with the promise of our save files carrying over.

The Walking Dead for Vita is a good port, and the game itself is a triumph in storytelling. Graphics are unique and look great, the voice acting/soundtrack is fantastic, and gameplay is classic point and click adventure fare. I highly recommend purchasing this game, especially for the low price point - it's a steal.

Pros:

+Unique, comic book cell shaded art style

+Voice acting is fantastic

+Soundtrack hits in all the right places

+The game is beautifully written

+Inriguing story

+Highly emotional ending

+All 5 episodes plus the 400 Days DLC for a very low price point

Cons:

-Short freeze/lag when transitioning between scenes, tapping on choice glitch

-Small graphical glitches

-The wait for season 2

9.0 Graphics: Unique cell shaded art style that definitely has the comic book feel they were going for

10 Sound: Voice acting is fantastic, soundtrack is beautiful - both are emotional

8.0 Gameplay: Classic point and click adventure fare, easy puzzles, easy to get the hang of. Freeze/lag when transitioning between scenes is a minor annoyance, and there are a few other small glitches - nothing here that wasn't in the console versions though

10 Lasting Appeal: Plenty of reason to play again and again to see how different choices would have impacted the story differently

Overall: 9.5

Outstanding

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Review

Publisher: Aksys Games

Developer: Chunsoft

Genre: Text-Based Adventure/Visual Novel

Release Date: October 23, 2012

MSRP: $39.99

An adventure for the ages:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is the second game in the Zero Escape series; this follows the highly praised 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. The fundamental principle behind this game is the prisoner's dilemma: two men are arrested for committing a crime, and are separated and put into different rooms with no means of communication with each other. A detective comes in to talk to both of them, and tells them both the same thing. If you stay silent, and your partner stays silent, you both do 2 years in prison. If you stay silent, but your partner rats you out, then he gets 1 year and you get 15 years. On the flipside, if you rat your partner out and he stays silent, you get 1 year and he gets 15. If you both spill the beans on each other, then you each get 10 years. However, in this game, depending on what you choose it can mean the difference between life and death. Every player in the game starts with 3 points, and to escape you need 9 points. If you and your partner both ally, then you each gain 2 points. If you ally while your partner betrays, you lose 2 points and your partner gains 3 points. If you betray your partner and they ally, you gain 3 points and they lose 2 points. If you both betray each other then neither of you gain or lose any points. At its core, this is a game about trust and betrayal.

Let's just get this out of the way now: the story is phenomenal. The characters are all relatable; you can understand their motivations to do what they do, and the developers really make you care for some of them. Other characters will certainly be the target of your hatred, while still others may surprise you when their true natures are shown. I felt terrible for betraying some characters when I saw their reactions - some characters were absolutely crushed, others were infuriated - and I myself would get angry when people betrayed me when I would ally. Betraying someones trust, even in a video game, has its consequences. This is a dark game in every way - there are some well placed jokes every once in a while, but for the most part, this is a dark and gruesome story, full of murder, distrust, tension, and even occasional suicides. This is one of the most complex and intriguing stories in the industry. There are many twists and turns within the plot that will keep you on the edge of your seat. When I started playing, I played it for 7 hours straight with no breaks - I couldn't get enough of it. Then, when I was in the home stretch, I played it for another 6.5-7 stretch with no breaks. The story is that good. There was one plot hole that was kind of distracting in retrospect, but I didn't even notice it until after I completed the game and went on miscellaneous forums online to discuss the story, and you may be that way too. I was too into the story to even notice it. There are a whopping 24 endings, and to see the final, "true" ending, you have to experience all the other endings first.

That may sound tedious, but the developers were smart enough to work around that. They created something called the "flow system", which is actually introduced in the story. It shows all the different paths you could have taken and allows you to rewind to a choice moment and make a different choice to see what happens if you would have picked that choice. All this is accomplished by a few simple taps on the screen. It is a very easy concept to grasp once you see it for yourself, and is an integral part of the experience to view all the endings and alternate pathways. Things start to delve into science fiction category after you've experienced multiple endings, and this is shown through "story locks". Story locks are portions of the story in which it is possible to progress, but it is locked until you play through other pathways and endings to discover the answer for the lock. The true ending blew my mind and left me eagerly anticipating the third and final entry in the trilogy, which is probably still at least a year away - hopefully the wait doesn't kill me. Oh, and the story here? To experience all the endings and unlock the true ending, it will take around 25 hours.

Gameplay consists or "escape the room" sequences, in which you must use items in the room you're in (with occasional hints from your two partners) to create new items and solve puzzles. Some puzzles are MUCH more difficult than the others and will require patience to complete. Each room also has a secret file, that by solving a puzzle for and unlocking you get more information that helps you to better understand the story. Some puzzles are mind-bending and will really require you to think hard to solve, but the payoff is worth it in the end - more story details. To make things easier for us when going down different paths, you are able to "skip" dialogue you have already seen by double tapping "square", and you never have to complete an escape more than once. There are a total of 16 escapes to complete in this game - the final one is particularly challenging.

Graphics look sharp and crisp on the Vita's beautiful screen, with well rendered character models and some animations to help story flow better in certain sections. However, some environments do look drab and bland, but there are a couple of very different looking environments scattered around to mix things up. The crisp graphics and higher resolution make the text much more readable - this is good, because as this is a text-based adventure/visual novel, there is a lot of text to read through. Characters also have full featured voice acting during story sequences (though there is a lack of voice acting in escape sequences). Your character, unfortunately, does not have voice acting, though it really isn't a big deal overall. The sound effects are good, and occasional background music also fits the tension and mood of the game perfectly.

If I were to make two suggestions: the first would be to go out and get this game as soon as possible. Even if you haven't played the previous game, 999, the story still stands on its own and makes near perfect sense, though it is more impactful if you have played 999 before. The seconds would be to play with pen and paper or a notepad of some sort - if a characters gives you a code or password of some sort: WRITE IT DOWN. You will need them later on in different endings. In short, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is a must own game for any Vita (or 3DS) owner who loves investing themselves in a great story. The wait for the third game may just kill you though.

Pros:

+Fantastic, engrossing story

+Great cast of characters

+Mind-blowing ending

+Mind-bending gameplay

+Sharp, crisp graphics

+Great voice acting

Cons:

-One distracting plot hole

-Some extremely difficult puzzles

-Lack of voice acting during escape sequences

-The wait for part 3 will be tough

9.0 Graphics: Graphics are sharp and crisp, characters are beautiful, but many environments are a bit bland.

9.0 Sound: The voice acting is great, sound effects are good and surprised me at some points, and background music fits the tone of the game perfectly.

8.5 Gameplay: Gameplay consists solely of completely (sometimes very hard) puzzles and reading text. It works, though.

10 Lasting Appeal: You will want to play through every ending to experience the true ending, and after that, you may want to play through again - there are a lot of small things I missed my first time around that I picked up when seeing it again later.

Overall: 9.1

Outstanding

• 2 weeks later...

Red Dead Redemption Review

Publisher: Rockstar Games

Developer: Rockstar San Diego

Genre: Action Adventure

Release Date: May 18, 2010

Price: $59.99

The only way to be a cowboy while having loads of fun at the same time.

It’s no secret that the Wild West has been overdone, often to the point of laugh out loud movies and video games just because they’re so bad. But then there are those shining gems, the ones where you go, “wow, this is actually really good!” Well, Red Dead Redemption is one of those shining gems.

Whether you’re starting fights in saloons, riding your horse around the countryside, playing the main storyline, attacking bandit hideouts, hunting animals, gambling, tying people to train tracks and watching them get run over, or just shooting people for no reason, you’re always having a blast.

You play as John Marston, a former gang member who left it after they betrayed him. The government decides that your old gang members need to be put to rest and recruit you to do so. Well, technically, they say if you don’t do this for us we’ll kill your wife and son, who we’ve kidnapped by the way. This results in John yelling at the government agents whenever he sees them. Throughout the game, you begin to sympathize more and more for John and resent the government more and more. The story is really well set up and will have you hooked until the end. It’s one of the best stories in a while and also some of the best characters in a while. The characters are very varied, from comedic characters such as Irish the drunk, to the no fun and games, 100% serious characters such as the government agents.

As you progress throughout the game, you will increase or decrease your fame and honor meters. The game adapts to what you do. So, if you choose to side with U.S. Marshalls and help all the damsels in distress, you gain perks like only getting pursued by law after a murder or two, no penalty for stealing horses, and discounts in stores. If you take the low road, then you may find yourself being attacked on sight by law enforcement in every town. You can buy outfits for your character, and search for pieces to complete others. These outfits, specifically the bandit ones, will cause gang members the gang who’s outfit you’re wearing to think of you as a friend and not attack you.

Rockstar did a really good job bringing the world alive. Sunsets look amazing, and riding through the west, you’ll see wild animals running around, flowers to pick, areas of thick and almost no vegetation, snow-capped mountains, towns and settlements, forests, deserts, rivers, etc. The soundtrack that plays in the background fits the game perfectly. While you’re riding you might also find random people asking for help. Sometimes their horse was stolen and you have to track it down, other times people will be waiting for you to come “help” them and then they’ll ambush you.

While it’s nice that Rockstar could implement so much into the game, have it look great, and run really well, it’s not perfect. It comes so close, but there are a few weird bugs and glitches. Sometimes the engine can’t keep up with all the action going on and causes the game to freeze for a second. It’s really only a small bug though, and won’t affect your experience very much.

Rockstar added the ability to replay missions, which is a welcome addition. Did you really like, let’s say, storming a gang hideout and executing their leader at point blank range? Then go ahead and play it again. I also like the checkpoint system, as it saves after every mission. Also, instead of having a limited number of places to save, which is where you buy property, you can set up a camp. At the camp you can save, change outfits, or fast travel to any location on the map by discovering it or setting a waypoint. The mini-map is also very useful, showing things such as you, your allies, enemies, flowers to pick, your houses and buyable property, mini-games like five finger-filet and horseshoes, shops, trails to follow to get to your objective, roads, and train tracks. It works really well and is very effective. I also like that you could listen to characters conversations on your way to objectives with them, but it was annoying that they may get cut off mid sentence when you reach the objective. They should finish the sentence and then start the cutscene or mission.

The soundtrack in this game is outstanding. The music fits in perfectly, and a few moments in the game actually have a real song playing, which were really the best moments in the game. The credits, while not many people care, actually has the perfect songs playing and make you actually want to watch them just to hear those songs. The song playing at one point towards the end of the game after the encounter with Dutch is perfect. And then you can hear animals rustling in bushes around you, birds calling from high above, and the horse’s hooves beating against the ground while you’re riding. The voice acting is done excellently, with the lipsynching done really well and rarely off. When it is off, it’s only by a millisecond but still noticeable.

The duels and gunfights are also done really well, the controls are always tight and responsive. The duels and gunfights are exactly as you would hope they would be, fast, fun, and furious. Satisfying spurts of blood shoot out of enemies when they’re shot. The only issue with the controls is when you’re riding a horse. It can take a while to turn around, which may cause you to lose a mission or have to restart when you’re chasing someone.

You’re campaign run-through should take roughly 14 hours if you just do the story missions, maybe around 20 hours if you do other things in the huge world of Red Dead Redemption. But once you beat the game, you won’t just want to stop. Beating the game is about 60-70% of the single player game. To 100% the game, you will need to be profitable in all the mini-games, (blackjack, poker, liar’s dice, horseshoes, five finger filet, and arm wrestling), unlock all of the 15 outfits, clear all 8 gang hideouts, get every weapon and every horse, complete every main and side quest, complete all the challenges, and uncover every location on the map. Is it hard? Not really, but it is very time-consuming.

Even after you completely 100 percent the game, or whenever you want, you can play the really fun multiplayer. These are 16 player diversions that are actually pretty fun. My favorite part about it is at the beginning of every match, where are the players are standing in a circle and you all draw your pistols and star shooting each other. The multiplayer ranges from free for all modes to modes like team deathmatch and capture the flag. The best part about the multiplayer is the public free roam lobby, where up to 16 players can do whatever they want together in the entire map. You level up and get experience for completing objectives and getting kills, and you unlock more guns, character models, modes to play in, and mounts to ride. In free roam you can storm gang hideouts, kill each other for no reason, or just ride around the gorgeous world of Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead Redemption is one of those games that's going to become a classic. It deserves every award that it wins, and deserves to be in every gamer's library. This is a game that will linger in your mind for a long time to come.

Pros:

+Outstanding graphics

+Great sound

+Very fun gameplay

+Lots of replayability

Cons:

-Free Roam isn't as fun if you don't have some friends playing with you in it

10 Graphics: Some of the best graphics of the generation, it looks gorgeous.

10 Sound: The soundtrack, songs, and voice acting are all implemented perfectly.

10 Gameplay: The most fun I’ve had with a game for a while. Controls are great.

10 Replayability: There is A TON to do in Red Dead, and you’ll have a blast with it.

Overall: 10

Masterpiece

(Note: I wrote this when I was 14 (3 years ago!) so try not to be too harsh on me for simple sounding sentences and grammatical errors! :D)

Edited by JDefense96

• 3 months later...

Minecraft: PS3 Edition Review

Publisher: Mojang

Developer: 4J Studios

Genre: Adventure

Release Date: December 17, 2013

MSRP: $19.99

A fantastic, adventure filled game limited only by your imagination:

Minecraft is a bit of a phenomena. Since originally being released in Alpha on the PC in 2009 (and formally released in November of 2011), it has effectively taken over the internet, and nearly the world. Originally the concept of one man - Markus Persson, better known by his internet handle, Notch - it was developed slowly but surely, with new features constantly added. As it grew in popularity, Notch founded a company, Mojang, where development was handled by more and more people, with more and more features being added. It later expanded onto iOS and Android in 2011 and the Xbox 360 in 2012. Now, after heavy demand, Minecraft has finally made it's way to the PS3 (and soon, the PS4 and PS Vita). But how does it compare to the other versions of the game?

At it's core, Minecraft is a game about gathering, placing, and building with blocks. When you start the game, you are placed into a randomly generated world with no direction. You have complete and utter freedom. Of course, this is one of the biggest downfalls to new players; they simply don't know what to do. 4J has implemented an immensely helpful tutorial mode that helps not only newcomers learn the basics, but also Minecraft aficionados get acquainted with the control scheme and user interface.

http://imgur.com/7RWtO0A

4J has crafted a smooth and easy to use user interface for the console versions. Using, placing, and breaking items are extremely easy and fluid. However, the most important feature is it's crafting, as this allows the user to create new items, tools, and building and decoration blocks; how could someone possibly create a system as easy to use as dragging and dropping items into the desired positions on a crafting square on the PC, when there's no mouse for use on the PS3? 4J again came up with an intuitive solution that allows for an easy, stress free experience when crafting. As long as the items you need to craft are in your inventory, you simply select on the item you want to craft from a menu that sorts items into categories and then merely requires you to scroll through and click. It's easy, fast, and straightforward; what more could you ask for?

With the controls being easy to use, the only issue left is that there is a sharp learning curve; the first few hours will likely be spent trying to figure out how to create certain blocks (what blocks are needed to do so), how to survive the night, how exactly to advance in the game, and the occasional case of "builders block". There is an "end" to the game with a final boss, though even after this boss is defeated, the player can explore, mine, craft, and build in their world as they see fit.

http://imgur.com/mA3FDED

Gameplay itself is extremely fun; as mentioned previously, the user interface is very intuitive, and exploring your randomly generated world is a joy. The game is always filled with secrets and new things to discover; there are many species of animals roaming the lands (pigs, cows, chickens, dogs, squids, fish, and sheep) and many different enemies (read: mobs) to fight during the night that all offer different abilities and require smart thinking to defeat in large groups. There is a dynamic day/night cycle, and a few different types of land (forests, oceans, deserts, tundras, etc). Gathering materials to build your next project - whether it be a simple dirt house, an expanded residence, a castle, a town, a monument, or whatever pops up in your imagination - is itself a fun task. Mining, a core aspect of the game, will yield stone and rare minerals, which can respectively be used to build and improve your tools and armor. Mining itself can admittedly be rather tedious, but the excitement of finding caves to explore and finally reaching the so desired diamonds is always an exhilarating one.

Playing the game solo is fun, as it allows you to experience the game however you want without distractions, but playing the game with friends augments the experience to unbelievably high levels of enjoyment. You can do virtually anything today - with two or more creative minds together, who knows what could be accomplished? Opening your world to multiplayer is a simple button click away, and its easy to invite friends and join their worlds on the fly. The lasting appeal of Minecraft, whether playing solo or with friends, is endless, and the possibilities are limitless.

http://imgur.com/0np6NDd

The graphics in the game are likewise beautiful; it is an extremely unique art style that suits the game's purposes wonderfully. Not only are the graphics pretty (though not quite up to par with the PC version), the soundtrack is simple yet memorable. Never have I felt so happy to hear music then when a song starts playing in Minecraft; led by the talented C418, the soundtrack is full of a variety of real and electronic instruments that constantly got stuck in my head as I played. The sound effects are well implemented; you'll never forget the sinister "hissssssss...." coming from right behind you as a Creeper walks up and explodes.

In conclusion, Minecraft is an absolute joy to play in every way; whether solo or with friends, there is always some fun to do, and because of the game's complete freedom and limitless possibilities, there is always a new and exciting place to go or project to build. The user interface created by the talented developers at 4J helps exponentially with acquainting new users to the control scheme and base ideals behind the game, and both the graphics and soundtrack are beautiful. With endless replayability, and an extremely affordable price at only $19.99, this is a game that each and every person who is capable should experience. It's one you certainly won't ever forget.

Pros:

+Open ended gameplay

+Tons to do

+Endless replayability

+Extremely fun multiplayer

+Beautiful graphics

+Engaging soundtrack

+Intuitive UI

Cons:

-Limited world size on consoles

-Somewhat large learning curve (though going through it is worth it)

-Mining is a bit tedious

9.0 Graphics: A unique, charming, and beautiful art style, with smartly designed blocks, characters, and items.

10 Sound: An absolutely amazing soundtrack that will surely be a favorite. Simple, relaxing, and very memorable.

9.5 Gameplay: Quite simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences available. There is always something fun and exciting to do or accomplish.

10 Lasting Appeal: Literally limitless replayability, with a wealth of content, fun multiplayer, and the ability to build anything in your wildest dreams.

Overall: 9.6

Outstanding

• 2 months later...

Octodad: Dadliest Catch Review

Publisher: Young Horses

Developer: Young Horses

Genre: Adventure, Puzzle

Release Date: April 22, 2014

MSRP: $14.99

One of the most downright hilarious games you will ever play

The game's catchphrase, "Loving Father. Caring Husband. Secret Octopus" should give you an indication of the absolutely bizarre concept and nature of the game. When starting the game, you aren't given much context at all, though you'll quickly pick up the simplistic, humorous, and surprisingly heartwarming plot pretty quickly. You begin the game on Octodad's wedding day, a truly triumphant moment for this sea creature turned octopus in disguise. From here on out, you must control Octodad and attempt to have him perform normal, everyday tasks without arousing much suspicion - obviously a difficult task for our protagonist. Octodad will need to get ready in the morning, cook lunch, perform chores, go shopping, and visit the aquarium, among other things, and each location and task has it's own charm that is certain to get a few laughs - not only because of the sheer hilarity of the situation, but because of the gameplay itself.

As you might imagine, controlling an octopus isn't the easiest thing in the world. The developers came up with an intuitive way to get around this situation - each of his tentacles are controlled by different shoulder buttons. This takes some getting used to, but before you know it you'll be running around as if you'd been an octopus your whole life. While the developers certainly got the controls and gameplay's simple tasks down, there are still occasional glitches where Octodad will get stuck on something in the environment and have to restart form the latest checkpoint. Other than that one glitch, I didn't notice anything else, and it ran rather smoothly.

The graphic's cartoony style works fantastically for a game such as this, and the sound effects are great as well - Octodad's blubs and the captions that accompanied them had me laughing out loud numerous times. Other characters had solid voice acting as well, and the sound of countless objects being knocked aside, falling, and breaking in Octodad's chaotic struggle to be normal adds to the experience and humor.

While the game is inherently fun, it should be noted that it only takes about an hour and a half to beat the game, and it's tough to really justify a $15 price tag for that. There are collectible ties to find, which you can equip to Octodad, and a co-op mode, in which case each player controls a different limb on Octodad, both of which are welcome distractions but don't do too much to lengthen the experience in the long run.

Despite this, don't pass let Octodad pass you by; this is certainly one of the funniest games in recent memory, and playing it, whether alone or with a couple friends, will lead to some great memories.

Pros:

+Hilarious

+Good, heartwarming story

+Gameplay

+Attractive graphics

+Great sound design

Cons:

-Rather short

-Limited replay value

8.0 Graphics: A great art style the compliments the game nicely

9.0 Sound: Humorous sound design with great effects and dialogue

8.0 Gameplay: An absolutely riot that will leave you smiling at every turn, intuitive controls

6.5 Lasting Appeal: Ties to collect, a co-op mode, different difficulties, replayability of individual chapters, and trophies are welcome diversions, but don't ultimately lead to much replay value.

Overall: 7.6

Good

Let me know what you think!