Revenge of Shinobi ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap

Kheapathic

http://i.imgur.com/WCgkM3j.png

While you're here browsing the site, why not sign up and join our community.

Section 01. Overview

• Estimated Trophy Difficulty: 4.0
  • Offline Trophies: 12 (9(B), 2(S), 1(G))
  • Online Trophies: 0
  • Approximate time to (P)/100%: 1-4 Hours
  • Minimum Number of Playthroughs Needed: 1
  • Number of Missable Trophies: 6 - Beautiful Assassin (B), Shinobi Has Fallen (B), Shinobi Watches (B), A Clash With Evil (S), Brawn Over Ninjutsu (S), For Naoko. For peace. Shinobi forever! (G)
  • Glitched Trophies: None
  • Does difficulty affect trophies: No
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies: No

Section 02. Introduction

Revenge of Shinobi is a very old Sega Genesis/Master System game that originally launched in 1989. Everything that was in that game is here; unlike many of the HD remakes that are coming out, this is kept in it's 16-bit standard definition. If you're savvy on the game's history and know of the numerous versions, this is the final revision.

Section 2.1 - Controls

The options in this game are still labeled with the old Sega button of A, B, and C.

:up: = N/A

:left:/:right: = Move Left/Right

:down: = Crouch

:square: [A] = Ninjutsu

:cross: = Attack

:circle: [C] = Jump

:triangle: = N/A

:r1: = N/A

:l1: = N/A

:r2: = N/A

:l2: = N/A

:start: = Pause / Select Ninjutsu

:select: = Options

Section 2.2 - What you should know

There are a few things you should know when attempting these trophies.

Save/Load

The one change in this game is a save function. The game will save your game exactly how you see things on the screen, so while it is a useful tool, do not find yourself saving when you're in immediate danger. Keeping the save function in mind, the missable trophies can be attempted indefinitely until you earn the trophy.

The save/load function is found in the menu by pressing :select:.

Infinite Shurikens

One thing in this game is you have a finite amount of shurikins, but this can be changed. At the main menu screen, go into options and set the Shurikin counter to 00. Leave the cursor there for 10 seconds and you'll hear a noise and see the counter change from 00 to the Infinity symbol.

This does not prevent you from earning trophies.

Special Techniques

Strike / Shuriken - Joe will strike or throw a shuriken based on his distance from an enemy.

Double Jump - You can double jump if you press :circle: at the peak of your first jump.

Shuriken Spread - Press :cross: after double jumping to perform a multiple shuriken throw.

Power Ups

There are three types of power ups in the game. There is a 1UP which gives you one extra life, a Ninjutsu Scroll which gives you an extra use of Ninjutsu, and a POW which greatly increases your attack power.

Important Links

• Game Walkthrough is found HERE.
  • Stage 8-2 Map is found HERE.

Section 03. Walkthrough

Being a much older game, the game is very straight-forward but can be mind-numbingly difficult. The game is divided up into 24 stages; 8 main levels with 3 lesser stages. The biggest problem aside from the bosses is Stage 8-2; the entire state is one giant door maze, I strongly advise you to use the map linked above.

Section 3.1 - Playthrough

Once the game starts you can change the game difficulty if you want; it only gives you more lives, doesn't actually affect the game. Give yourself infinite shurikins and start the game. Every trophy can be earned in a single playthrough, use the save/load function to make sure you do not miss a single trophy.

To help make things easier, I would suggest keeping a POW powerup for as long as possible. It greatly increases your attack power but can be lost once you take a hit. It is almost paramount for earning the gold trophy as well.

Trophies Earned

(B) Beautiful Assassin (Missable)

(B) Shinobi Has Fallen (Missable)

(B) Shuriken Rain

(B) Behold! Emblem of Blue!

(B) The Traps of Neo Zeed

(B) Miraculous Ninja Arts

(B) Impenetrable Wall

(B) Shuriken Starburst

(B) Shinobi Watches (Missable)

(S) Brawn Over Ninjutsu (Missable)

(S) A Clash With Evil (Missable)

(G) For Naoko. For peace. Shinobi forever! (Missable)

Section 3.2 - Clean up

This is only required if you miss a trophy on your first playthrough. Hopefully you used the save/load function so you won't need to go through the game again.

Edited by Terminator
Replaced missing banner.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgBeautiful Assassin (B)

The dancing lady in Chinatown must not be defeated!

(Missable) This trophy is specific to Stage 6-1. There are 3 dancing lady enemies in this stage; they appear as females in light-blue dresses. They will attack you, but you must get through the stage without killing a single one to earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgShinobi Has Fallen (B)

How was that dive into the waterfall?

This trophy is specific to Stage 2-1. There are numerous places you can fall to your death. Simply jump into one of these gaps where a waterfall is present and you will earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgShuriken Rain (B)

Use 300 Shuriken.

This trophy should come by simply playing the game or you can simply throw shurikens over and over until this trophy pops. You can also perform Joe's 8-way Shuriken attack to speed up this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgBehold! Emblem of Blue! (B)

Appreciate the SEGA logo.

When you first boot up the game you're taken to a menu with 4 different options. Choose to start the game and simply let the Sega logo roll until you earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgThe Traps of Neo Zeed (B)

Trigger 10 bombs.

This trophy should come by simply playing the game. There are boxes scattered around every level in the game; some of these boxes have power ups while others have bombs in them. Break the boxes and watch the bomb traps explode to earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgMiraculous Ninja Arts (B)

Use all four types of Ninjutsu in one game.

This trophy will require careful playing. At the start of every level you will have 1 use of Ninjutsu, you can pick up power ups to get another use of Ninjutsu if you can find them. To change which Ninjutsu you have selected; press :start: and then :left: or :right: to select one of four Ninjutsu. Use each Ninjutsu at least once in a single playthrough (without continuing) to earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgImpenetrable Wall (B)

Guard 10 attacks with your cross-guard.

This trophy isn't as hard as it sounds and requires you to have a POW upgrade. When you have a POW upgrade you should notice Joe will have his hands in a cross formation as he walks, this is his cross guard and will block all small projectiles. Find an enemy who's in a defensive position, keep your distance but walk towards them when they shoot or throw a shuriken at you to block it. After blocking 10 projectiles you will earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgShuriken Starburt (B)

Demonstrate Joe Musashi's 8-way Shuriken Attack.

This trophy is very easy to do. To perform the 8-way Shuriken attack you need to throw a shuriken after performing a double jump. To perform a double jump you need to jump at the peak of your first jump. Once you're into the second double throw a shuriken and Joe will throw 8 shurikens in a 90 degree arc and earn you this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/234.jpgShinobi Watches (B)

Stand atop the brick pillar in 3-1. Ninja Style!

(Missable) This trophy is specific to Stage 3-1. As you go through the level you'll see tall brick pillars; double jump to the top of any of the pillars to earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/ECB.jpgA Clash With Evil (S)

Defeat the Round 1 boss without using the 8-way Shuriken Attack.

(Missable) This trophy is specific to Stage 1-3; the boss is a giant Samurai and his weak spot is the crest on his helmet. To earn this trophy, you cannot use Joe's 8-way Shuriken attack once you enter the stage. You cannot use it even after defeating the boss. Now to damage the boss, you need to get close to bait him into swinging his sword. When he swings, you need to hit the crest on his helmet with a shuriken. Do this until he dies to earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/ECB.jpgBrawn Over Ninjutsu (S)

Finish 6-1 without using any Ninjutsu.

(Missable) This trophy is specific to Stage 6-1. This stage has a lot of jumps and enemies waiting for you in blind spots. There's even a very hard jump to make near the end of the level, but make it all the way through without using any Ninjutsu and you'll earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1544/C9E.jpgFor Naoko. For peace. Shinobi forever! (G)

Rescue Naoko without using a continue.

(Missable) This can be one of the most difficult trophies in the game and happens on Stage 8-3. Once you enter the room, you'll see Naoko behind a wall while the ceiling slowly lowers towards her. You need to defeat Zeed before the ceiling flattens her completely. You can stall the descent of the ceiling momentarily by flinging a shuriken into an opening on the left or right side of the room. Make it from the start of the game and defeat Zeed before Naoko gets crushed to earn this trophy, all while not using a single continue. Utilizing the Save/Load function makes this a lot easier then playing the game straight.

Zeed Fight

[spoiler=ZeedFight]

This fight is not hard if you come properly prepared.

To successfully attack Zeed, you need to get close and strike while crouching. This will make Zeed's hair straighten out and once he's done posing, he will throw his hair at you. Dodge his hair and strike him when you can until he dies.

Dodging his hair is very difficult for the unpracticed. This can be mitigated by using the Ikazuchi Jutsu. This jutsu protects you from his attacks. Getting through the Labyrinth with a POW and two uses of Ninjutsu makes this trophy very easy. It is not needed, but it is highly recommended as attempting it otherwise is nigh impossible.

Special Thanks

-DChen (GameFaqs): for the walkthrough.

-Nash (GameFaqs): for the Labyrinth Map.

-RED_REBEL44: for the Banner.

Edited by Terminator
Guide revision by Terminator 02/03/2015.

Is there something special you have to do when triggering the bombs?

I'm on level 4 now and it still hasn't popped.

I even tried letting 10 of them do damage while exploding and nothing. :(

I'm thinking this is a glitch unless I'm missing something very obvious.

I really hope not since I like to get 100% on my favorite games and this one is a top 10er for me.

Please ignore that. ;) It ended up working just as I typed this.

Edited by spoonman

Is there something special you have to do when triggering the bombs?

I'm on level 4 now and it still hasn't popped.

I even tried letting 10 of them do damage while exploding and nothing. :(

I'm thinking this is a glitch unless I'm missing something very obvious.

I really hope not since I like to get 100% on my favorite games and this one is a top 10er for me.

Please ignore that. ;) It ended up working just as I typed this.

This guide will come In handy thanks :) I got to many games to played at the moment.

Nice one mate, I was going to write a guide for this myself but you beat me to it :p

All looks good, it's an easy 100% with the save feature and the infinite ninja star cheat (which still works!). I remembered that from the megadrive/genesis days lol.

Thank you and I remember it too, I was never able to save Naoko back then. Even though I had to use save/load I'm so happy I was finally able to do it.

Thank you and I remember it too, I was never able to save Naoko back then. Even though I had to use save/load I'm so happy I was finally able to do it.

When I first played ROS on the Genesis I didn't realize you could throw shurikens into the walls to temperarily stop the ceiling from crushing Naoko. I was wondering what that weird wood sound was for a while... Hehe

After I figured that out it was (and still is) pretty easy.

Don't forget to play the Japanese rom "The Super Shinobi" to view the real ending. It's a shame they changed the USA ending.

Edited by spoonman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, so final boss, didnt relize I was already going to be fighting him, came very unprepared, I think he has about 4-5 hits left, I have 1 hit left, no ninjitsu, no POW, celings about to smash the s*%t out of whats her face. My question is this, for the trophy to save her without using continues, does this mean without dying at all (because Ive saved through the game without any deaths) or is it after I lose every life, will it ask me to continue? Because if I let myself die once, I can start the fight over and have full health and ninjitsu. Advice?

• 2 months later...

Thx for the guide. Just two things...

For the Traps of Neo Zeed trophy you need to manually activate the bomb touching it and running from the little blast, if you break the box with the bomb from afar with a shuriken it doesn't count.

And if somebody had problems with the level 8-2, this video is very good and fast

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kysOOu-DKw]Revenge of Shinobi Round 8-2 - YouTube[/ame]

For the Traps of Neo Zeed trophy you need to manually activate the bomb touching it and running from the little blast, if you break the box with the bomb from afar with a shuriken it doesn't count.

I don't think you have to. I received mine without ever touching a single bomb bar a couple by accident.

When I first played ROS on the Genesis I didn't realize you could throw shurikens into the walls to temperarily stop the ceiling from crushing Naoko. I was wondering what that weird wood sound was for a while... Hehe

After I figured that out it was (and still is) pretty easy.

Don't forget to play the Japanese rom "The Super Shinobi" to view the real ending. It's a shame they changed the USA ending.

I'll have to check out the other ending. I played the US version, and after getting the gold trophy I went back and purposely let her get smashed to see what happens. To my surprise, she got back up and I got the exact same ending! :confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...