First Impression

Pinhead

I like rythm games a lot, though so far I've steared clear of the ones with trophies so I won't have to admit defeat :whistle: or not, it just sounds fun at least. I'm just finishing up my first batch of them, and that are the old trophy-less ones. Of those, Rock Revolution from Konami is the one I like best.

Admittedly, it took me time getting used to the kick drum being a note instead of a bar, but the whole timing system and gameplay is just more interesting than in the clones that followed.

The only thing that has so far saddened me about the rhythm game genre is the greed of the devs, who in my part of the world pumped out something like 15 games in 4 years, all basically the same game. Like rhythm can only be done like that.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the PSN store last week and found a new Bullet-Hell-Rhythm-Shooter. And I get to borrow it from Sony as long as my + is active, how sweet.

Went for tutorial, and I felt like a damn kid in a candy store man, I haven't giggled like this since first discovering Bubble Bobble man, damn. So old school, even the music makes you cringe like the 8-bit shooters of yore :D

But the gameplay is great, I play it with an Arcade Stick / Guitar Controller, and it really feels like two different versions of the same game.

My first 15 minutes with this were so damn fun I'll never forget them. So full of WTF! moments as gameplay elements get introduced and I got caught up in it, like excited to see what they'd throw at me next, but at the same time opting to rather replay levels for a Lower Score, yet another ingenious element that really tickles the old-schooler in me, as sadly the game only has 10 levels in it and I wanted to savor some flavor.

I guess it's a 'not-4-everyone' kinda game, but I for one love it and after beating campaign once and replayed a whole lot on certain stages the game is just growing on me more and more.

This will likely stay on my hard drive a long time. I'll have a hard enough time getting all the trophies as my eyes have difficulties with continuous bouts of such bright colors. When I deploy the OverDrive I usually miss a lot of bullets I just don't see for some reason, very annoying, but dampening the brightness and nearly draining all color from the TV seems to be helping.

But apart from that, even if I get all the trophies done, this is the kinda quick Arcade fun I like to have lying there, to be grabbed at as a snack inbetween games, for a quicky if console is on and I get a few minutes to spare and so on.

Edited by Pinhead

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a weird gamer.. I usually never play 1 game straight for hours since I own so many different platforms, and it bores me to play just game. I love this game. When I first played it I also was like WTF I'm moving backwards? I also like how you have to evade shots, you have to get a "new low score" to be higher in the leaderboards. I played the demo and I brought it right away. Even though we seen games like this, I like how the developers tried something new to the gameplay element. I would play maybe 3-4 songs at a time, then play Gci, GhostRecon, or U3.

• 3 weeks later...