Retro City Rampage (PS3 & Vita)

Thoughts on the game? Throw them here!

spoonman

I've been following the progress of this for quite a while now and I really enjoyed the demo. That being said, I thought the sprites were a tad too small. Perhaps V-Blank should have gone with SNES style graphics with a little more detail and shading in the pixels.

I try to put myself in the mindset of when I was a young lad playing my NES back in the day and found it to be pretty enjoyable. I also love all of the references and jokes. In the short amount of time it takes to get through the demo I saw a ton of them.

So what do you guys think of it? Is it worth $15 in your opinion.

I don't really know. I'm trying to spend $105 on PSN so I can get $20 store credit in November. I've bought everything from Sound Shapes to Zen Pinball tables, Machinarium, Derrik the Deathfin, Shinobi, Sunflowers and another year of PS Plus. Now I'm down to $16 and I'm not sure what else to buy. I keep playing the demo for this. I just wish it was like the NES game River City Ransom and less like Grand Theft Auto 2 (yet even older looking). Also there aren't enough trophies to be a $15 game. Sound Shapes has a lot and platinum. I just want there to be at least 20-30 trophies. I don't care much for multiplayer. The cross buy is a must too. I'm glad they added that. Why it wasn't on a PS Plus discount is something I'll never understand. I might have to wait for the price to lower. I want Pure Chess too. That isn't 2 player though. So I can't make up my mind. All chess games should have local 2 player versus at least. PSN games sometimes are really good or overrated and lacking in a few things.

Is it worth $15? If you don't have PS Plus, yes. If you do, probably not, even though I am tempted to buy it because I grew up on NES. It should of had a discount for PS Plus members.

Edited by UndergroundHipHopHead

Absolutely loving it so far. If you grew up in the 80`s or early 90`s I would say it is a must buy. Little things like seeing the Ninja Turtles Van or the A-Team Van driving around town are just awesome. Easily worth the price of admission especially if you own both systems(I do) despite it`s dissapointing lack of platinum trophy :(

I thought it was hilarious (the demo), and fun, but the major problem I had with it was that there was just too damn much going on at once!

People would be talking while I was getting attacked by police, and I had to choose to read the text and get shot up, or defend myself and miss out on what was said.

Some text disappeared way too quickly and I missed it. I had no idea what any of the HUD items were, I was too focused on trying to keep up with what was going on in game, it was so fast paced.

Just a jumbled sense of information overload, and not a real sleek interface.

Did you guys know that the areas in the game are streets and places in Vancouver B.C.? That was one of the reasons I got the game :p

Damn is it fun as hell though, I'm barely in to the game because I'm just spending all my time just fucking around on the map.

I heard at some point you get to beat up Zack Morris. I can't even describe how awesome that sounds.

It's great albeit frustrating towards the end, but also, my save somehow glitched from utilizing the transferring back to Vita and vice versa. My points, money, and some stats were reset...so I didn't get the trophy for getting all of the time machine parts despite beating the game, and 100% will be impossible unless I start over (which I care about more than the trophies...).

I don't think it's something a patch will fix, so this is just, disheartening.

• 2 weeks later...
Why it wasn't on a PS Plus discount is something I'll never understand.
Because then you'd be looking for even more junk you don't actually want to spend your precious $100 to get the rebate, even though you wasted more than $20 just to get that rebate. :rolleyes:

And more whining about the trophies? Really? As chems1919 said, you don't deserve to play this awesome game with that kind of mentality.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome game, tons of fun. As a child of the 80's I thought all the references were pretty damn funny. Only drawback (and it's a small one) is that there are so many references and the whole thing is pretty fast-paced that you barely have time to appreciate one (or secretly congratulate yourself for even getting it--you know you do it) before another comes barreling through. But it's all part of the appeal. Definitely pick this one up.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a little trouble with the last two Sprees for the Gold trophy and haven't even bothered attempting Death Cam/No Death, but this game on the whole was enjoyable and the references are entertaining.

The 8-bit style has the feel of old games, but the HD display makes the game really pop which is a nice juxtaposition.

I found it funny (purely on a trophy hunting perspective) that you actually don't have to beat Buttnick in the end to win all trophies - if that's what your going for...Turbo (the only benefit from beating the story) doesn't really seem to help win any sprees. I finished the game anyway, but I thought it was interesting that it isn't necessary. (but then you miss out on the last three or four references and different play styles the game throws at you in the end, so do it anyway)

Did everything there was to do in this game. With the exception of the Arcade Challenges, in which I did every one of them with Gold except two, took a break, in that, I mean I quit out of the game, played something else, came back to it, and all my medals were gone.

Wouldn't buy it for this reason. Glad it's free on Playstation Plus.

For some reason, Challenge 13 keeps disappearing. My advice to anyone who played through Story mode: Never skip the second Sweat Bomber mission when it gives you the option to, otherwise your Arcade Challenges will be glitched. I guess my save file is bugged now, as my Gold medal scores DID upload and stick on the Leaderboards, my medals do not save to the game itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved it. I got it for free on PS+, but am thinking of actually purchasing it while it's on sale.

It felt like it took forever for this game to come out. I remember anticipating it's release on the Wii when it was announced.

It may just be me, I don't know if it was intentional, but did anyone else feel like the dodge patterns for the final boss were paying homage to "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!"?

I really hope we see a sequel on the next-gen consoles. And maybe have the graphics look like something on SNES.

Edited by HorrorGod

• 9 months later...

Well worth it IMO... I have GTA 5 and every full version release since GTA1 and GTA2 on PC.

If you grew up in the 90s and had an NES and shit hell and for just 15 no way you can complain....

some people cry no platinum but that is how almost all PSN games are and who cares? I try to get all the trophies I can but hell some the people on here with act like they get paid to get trophies with platinums on damn never every game lol...

good fun game well worth the lil 15 imo!