Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Resurrection DLC Trophy Guide

smartbomb

xD91ofR.png

If you found this guide helpful and/or have any comments or feedback but you are not an

existing member, click here to register and become a member today!

Overview

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 8

-Offline: 5, 2-(B), 3-(S)

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to complete: 3 hours approx

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1+

-Number of missable trophies: None

-Glitched trophies: None

-Do cheat codes disable trophies?: Yes

-Do difficulty trophies stack?: Yes. Unlock Paladin difficulty by beating the DLC on any other difficulty.

Introduction

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Resurrection DLC is the second extra chapter available for the original Castlevania Lords of Shadow game and follows on from events of the first DLC, Reverie. Trophies are all story based with the exception of the Trials, which can be attempted only after that chapter's level has been beaten once already on any difficulty. It's worth noting that you can NOT play the DLC chapters until you have completed the original game, so if you have not done so, you will need to do this before you can play the DLC chapters.

Roadmap

Step 1 - Playthrough

As difficulty trophies stack, completing Chapter XIV on Paladin difficulty will unlock every other difficulty related trophy. Paladin can only be unlocked by completing the entire game (the original, not the DLC) on any other difficulty, so you can choose Squire difficulty if you wish. Complete the game start to finish and move on to Step 2 if you have not done so already.

Step 2 - Paladin Playthrough

With Paladin difficulty now unlocked, you can obtain the trophy "Epic victory - Chapter XIV" and any other difficulty trophies on any other difficulties you have yet to complete thanks to the trophy stacking.

Step 3 - Trials

Trials can only be attempted only after the level to which the trial applies has been completed on any difficulty at least once. As you have now unlocked all difficulty related trophies, feel free to knock the difficulty level down to make things a little less hectic as you go back to complete the trials.

Trophy Guide

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/420/50.jpg

Skirmish - Chapter XIV (B)

Finish the levels from Chapter XIV in Squire difficulty

:tagdifficulty: :tagstackable:

See the trophy description "Epic victory - Chapter XIV"

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/420/51.jpg

Gest - Chapter XIV (B)

Finish the levels from Chapter XIV in Warrior difficulty

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/420/52.jpg

Crusade - Chapter XIV (S)

Finish the levels from Chapter XIV in Knight difficulty

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/420/53.jpg

Epic victory - Chapter XIV (S)

Finish the levels from Chapter XIV in Paladin difficulty

:tagdifficulty:

There are only 2 levels in Chapter XIV so there should not be too much trouble completing them both on Paladin difficulty. It would help enormously if you have taken the time to max out your Life Meter as well as both Light and Shadow Magic by collecting all of the gems in the original game so consider retracing your steps through earlier chapters to do this if you have not done so already and are finding the going a little tough.

Also worthy of note is that the last level should be approached with a full health bar and full light and shadow magic bars as the end boss fight is extremely difficult. There are 16 Flaming Skeleton enemies once you complete the jumping mini game spawning in lots of 4 but you can double jump to the chasm above without fighting any of them whatsoever, highly recommended as the boss fight is next and you will need maximum everything to defeat him. See Here for a strategy on this boss fight. In addition to this guide and the detailed boss fight walkthrough, x410xDragon has also written a superb Forgotten One FAQ which can be found Here

**NOTE** Do NOT lower the difficulty mid chapter, as this will be saved and completion of either chapter having done this will only count as complete on the lowest difficulty you set it to be.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/420/54.jpg

Trials - Chapter XIV (S)

Complete all the trials for Chapter XIV

With there being only 2 levels in this DLC Chapter, there are only 2 trials to complete. Below is a detail on each trial, a brief summary of how to obtain it, and a video to help you courtesy of Youtube user On3ManCr3w

Trial 1 : Chapter 14-1 - Defeat the Forgotten One after absorbing 100 Neutral Elemental Orbs during the fight against him.

This fight is tricky, and you must stay on your toes to defeat the Forgotten One. You must be able to raise your Focus Meter until it is full and remain unhit while attacking the Forgotten One to have him drop Neutral Elemental Orbs. On Paladin this can be quite difficult as it takes longer for your Focus Meter to fill up. Either way, stay on the move, get a quick combo in where you can, keep an eye out for his ground stomp and jump in the air when you see it coming. Make sure you collect the Neutral Elemental Orbs by holding down :l3: and/or :r3: before they disappear and sustain your attack and evade strategy until you have collected at least 100 Orbs - now defeat him and go on to complete the level to complete this trial.

TIP: It is significantly more tricky to sustain a combo and therefore get Orbs from the Forgotten One after Round 1 of this fight, so purposefully fail to deflect the energy attack which leads you on to Round 2 and keep attacking and failing the QTE until you reach 100 Orbs. Thanks to Turbo Squirrel for the tip

Here is a video showing how it is done :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXZltsxtc2E]YouTube - ‪Castlevania Lords of Shadow Resurrection Chapter 14-1 Dimensional Prison Trial‬‏[/ame]

Trial 2 : Chapter 14-2 - Finish the level after destroying all the Flaming Skeleton Warriors

There are 16 Flaming Skeleton Warriors all located in the same place on this level and they spawn in groups of 4. You can immediately dispose of a group of them by using a Dark Crystal to instantly kill them, very handy if you are on Paladin difficulty. The same strategies that applied to the original game Skeleton enemies apply here, try to counter their attacks in good time and unleash heavy combo's to break down their shields. Similarly, don't forget about their ability to reform once you have beaten them once if you do not finish them off with a ground attack. If this is too much of a challenge and you keep getting killed, don't forget you can knock the difficulty down to something more manageable - just remember not to do this on your Paladin playthrough. Once you have killed all 16 of these enemies, continue on to the end of the level.

Here is a video showing how this can be done :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7C9ALiI47s]YouTube - ‪Castlevania Lords of Shadow Resurrection Chapter 14-2 The Underworld Trial‬‏[/ame]

Edited by Terminator
Replaced a missing banner.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter XIV Boss Fight - Paladin Difficulty

I'm an average skilled gamer, and this fight took well over 500 tries. Bosses in the main game are somewhat easy, and can be killed using your ultimate magic attacks, but the Forgotten One is altogether a different beast and you will need to work hard and fast to defeat him. Below is a strategy which will hopefully give you the edge against what is easily your toughest adversary in the entire game.

Step 1 - Prep work :

It is imperative that you take on the Forgotten One with a full life bar as well as full light and shadow magic meters, anything less and you are putting yourself even further away from what already is a huge disadvantage. There are no Neutral Elemental Orb statues on this level so make sure you skip straight past the Flaming Skeleton enemies as they will beyond doubt take either some of your life or magic. As for Dark Crystals, they will do you no good here so don't worry if you don't have one. If you need to top up on Life or Magic, replay Chapter V level II as it is extremely short and there is both a Neutral Elemental Orb statue and a Life statue just before the end of the level. Once your ready, proceed to the boss.

Step 2 - Learn the Boss moves :

If you fail to see these coming, the fight will be over very quickly. If you get hit by even one attack, chances are he will follow up with another and leave you in a very bad way, so try to anticipate them and counter as best you can. For large sections of the fight, you will be in mid air, yet you can not afford to dangle there for too long, remember, you can use the ground slam move if you need to get to ground quickly to avoid his attacks. Here is a list of his moves and how best to avoid them :

Dash - Here the boss will dash towards you with a shoulder charge. It is extremely quick and knocks you onto your back leaving you open to a huge blow and usually a restart screen. You should see this coming when he swings his body round to prepare for the dash and roll either side of it to get out of the way before he dashes.

Sword Swipe - If you stand on the ground in front of the boss long enough, he will swing with his giant sword and half kill you as well as knock you over. Double jump to avoid this and also land a few hits if you are in a good position. This attack can also be through the air if you hang long enough near him trying to string out a combo that is too long. It is unavoidable as you have as said, hung in the air too long.

Claw - Again this is an attack which is aimed at stopping you from being in the air too long around the boss. Is has a shorter range than the mid air sword swipe but is just as lethal if you are hit by it, so be careful not to try a 7 hit combo or anything.

Downward Sword Strike - As it sounds. You can avoid this usually by double jumping to the side of it or rolling to the left or right. If you see it coming, avoid it at all costs as this attack takes the most damage from you and you will be very lucky to recover from it.

Downward Sword Slam - Here the boss slams both swords down at either side of you, then slams them together on the ground. A double jump will avoid this attack and a few hits can be made if you are positioned just right.

Stomp - Here the boss just stamps his foot. Double jump away from him when you see him raise his leg as if you are near him, the force will knock you down.

Wrecking Ball - There are two kinds of attacks here, one will be an overhead downward slam which gives off a shockwave, and one which he swings in a semi circle on the ground. Hit double jump for both attacks and try to get some attacks in and quickly move away.

Air Stomp - The boss will jump off the screen for a couple of seconds and try to slam down on you. Double tap the run button to sprint out of the way, jumping when you see him reappear to avoid the shockwave from his landing. No room for an attack here, this is all avoidance.

Spears - The boss will throw five spears in an arc around him which ignite on contact with the ground and streak in lines of fire. As you see him prepare this attack, double jump to him and attack, as you seem to be immune from these while in the air for the most part, although one will hit you regardless occasionally.

Spear Slam - This attack is a nightmare as it is so quick. It is done when you are in mid air beside him and it has a shockwave effect too. You need to be back out of the air when he sends a spear on a chain into the air and on the run so when the spear is yanked back down to the ground you are at a distance. This attack will be the end of you several times if you are not careful.

Try to anticipate all these moves and act accordingly or you will not last long at all.

Step 3 - First Round :

You begin the fight with a short sequence which see's Gabriel tear off some armour from the boss. It is this weak point you need to attack. The boss will begin this round by flexing in fury, use this small opportunity to get some hits in on him. From here on, your chances are very limited for attacks. Watch for each of his moves and counter them with attacks on his weak arm. In this round, use your magic very sparingly while trying to keep your lifebar as full as possible. Occasionally he will flex like he did at the start, use this golden window of opportunity to get some damage done. When you have dealt enough damage, the boss will fire 7 or 8 rocks outwards from him, and randomly send energy to them one by one making them explode. Wait near an unexploded one and tremor punch it when it is about to explode and complete the short sequence to start round 2.

Step 4 - Second Round :

Much the same as the first round but the weak point is now the shoulder, a little more harder to hit. Begin the round as you did the first and pretty much use the same methods. If you have conserved enough Shadow Magic, use it when the boss flexes for some reasonable damage, but turn it off when you break away for cover, magic wasted in this boss fight will spell big trouble. Save as much light magic as you can, restarting from the checkpoint if you use too much and are in bad shape. Learn his moves and try to gain a few hits where you can to wear him down. After enough damage, the boss will break away. He will throw 3 spears at you in an arc so double tap the run button to sprint away from them. Now, go back to them one by one and use the action button to pick them up. The screen will cut to the boss waling towards you, and you have a second to line up the target reticule with the boss and press :square: to hit him with it. The axis during this extremely short sequence is not inverted, so be careful you don't press down thinking the reticule will go up, down is down and up is up. You need to repeat this process with all 3 spears and not miss, as this will restart allow the boss to recharge some energy which you then have to work off again then back to the 3 spears sequence. Once done, complete the sequence and begin the next part.

Step 5 - Final Round :

Now the weak part is half of his head, a tiny target. And for this round, everything the boss does is the same, only twice as fast. You should have saved at least half of your light magic for this round or it will be extremely difficult to come away the victor. Begin the round like the last ones, except enable light magic for the few hits you get if you need to top up your life bar as this flex is the last one you will see so grab the opportunity with both hands. Now you just need to try and counter his attacks by trying to be in a spot where you can score a couple of hits and then run for it. Anything longer than a 3 hit mid air combo is likely to land you in trouble so don't keep tapping the attack button hoping for more damage as you will end up in major trouble. This is the last round so burn out any remaining magic and give it all you have. Once you land the final hit, the game is over - and a word from me, Congratulations !

Thanks to On3ManCr3w for additional tips re: the axis on Stage 4 and the ground slam allowing you a quick retreat!

Edited by Tuffinz
editorial sweep

Is it true we can't use the Ultimate moves on the Forgotten One for a easy win like we could with every bosses in LOS?

It's true. All but one of his weak points require air combos to reach, which (probably deliberately) renders Ultimate Light and Dark magic useless.

I'm not sure what the best alternative attacks would be, since the window to strike at the Forgotten One is short. The best I could manage was to activate Dark magic, jump and then hammer the attack button. I'm hoping there might be better alternatives in the Skill book, for when I try again on Paladin. It'll take ages otherwise! :(

Goddamn, I tried beating the Forgotten One on Medium difficulty first but after getting my ass handed to me several times I gave in and switched to Easy.

Thing is, I want my trophy percentage back to 100% so I definitely want to beat him on Paladin but...I'm dreading it.

Oh I'm dreading it.

smartbomb, you got some nice videos there :p anyway, i'll let you know when I make the PS3 versions so you can have some proper PS3 vids. That's probably when the U.S. DLC release though.

:eek:

Man, I used your videos to get me through my original Castlevania Trials - I even left you a comment on your channel - excellent work my friend :applause:

@Tetsujin - The lad I quoted makes it look easy. Don't you just want to kick him :p

The DLC is a steaming pile of horse shit.

Thanks for the guide though. I appreciate the amount of patience it probably took you to even play this thing.

Just my 2 cents: I found the final round with the Forgotten One (after you rip off his helmet or whatever that is) is the easiest of all! I managed to finish it on paladin difficulty without loosing any health or using light magic. Here' how - dodge everything he throw at you and don't try to land any hits - he's fast and your eagerness will most likely end with you dying. Instead ONLY TRY TO HURT HIM WHEN HE'S EXECUTING A DOUBLE SWORD ATTACK! Remember the double sword attack animation and when you see that he's preparing to do it DON'T MOVE - that way you will end up between the swords. That's your cue to jump and land a couple of hits - 3-4, no more - as the guide says he will most deffinetely kill you if you try to unleash a long combo. Rinse and repeat.

Also he usualy follows the double sword move with any of the blast wave attacks so prepare to run for your life.

Edited by purifico

What is the best stage to fully replenish my Light & Dark magics?

I think I will need it every time playing that Chapter, had a hard time fighting Forgotten One even on Squire...

Wygol Village. A very short level with a Neutral Elemental statue and a Life Statue at the end.

Good luck fighting him on Paladin :)

Just wondering, when I reach a checkpoint during the fight and die, do I come back to the checkpoint fully healed?

Unfortunately not, you will restart with what you passed the checkpoint with, so as the boss walkthrough states, try to conserve as much magic as you can for when he gets really upset right after the second checkpoint. Trust me, if you are out of magic going into the last stage of the fight, you are in some serious trouble and will more than likely be required to try all over again.

And I recommend having at least 3/4 health at the 3rd checkpoint and all or at least 95% of your magic bars full. I spent an hour trying to beat him on paladin with less than a 4th health and while I got really close I had to restart. Got to his 3rd phase with half health and managed to beat him but it was brutal. Would have had 3/4 health if not for screwing up the spear part at the end of phase 2. Only trials left and I'll have my 100% completion again, yay!

I was really stuborn. My first run was in Paladin mode. I had no magic in this stage, and throughout the level I lost bit by bit my life, to a point where when I reached the final part of the boss, my energy was just a tiny little bar where ANY of his hit were 1-hit killing me. I knew the easy solution would be to quit the stage and go search some magic. But instead I wasted one hour to learn his pattern to perfection. His pattern is quite easy to read since it's pretty much the same as before...the only problem is the speed he's doing them now, so you have to change your strategy for some move (the horizontal sword slash move in particular, where many time, you just can't runaway fast enough if you're too close to him after a bunch of hit). And one tiny mistake, and you need to restart that whole part.

But I finally did it. The hard way. And it was SOOOO satisfying, to a point where I really enjoyed this DLC. The combat was a lot of fun without any magic and no life left, if you can do it without getting hit once, you really feel like the ultimate bad-ass.

Edited by Drac Mazoku

I finally got all DLC trophies.

He wasn't that hard after all in Paladin, barely got hit and had full Light & Shadow magic for the last round.

I took time to learn his pattern and how to dodge his attack on Warrior, then I played Knight and barely got hit, so I was ready for Paladin.

I finally got all DLC trophies.

He wasn't that hard after all in Paladin, barely got hit and had full Light & Shadow magic for the last round.

I took time to learn his pattern and how to dodge his attack on Warrior, then I played Knight and barely got hit, so I was ready for Paladin.

Nice one mate, congratulations :applause:

Hi, i go straight for paladin too, i must admit it was kinda difficult but once u learn his moves after 3-4h of deaths :p its easy.

btw this dlc dissapoint me, i expect atleast a decent cinematic :S but nothing at all.

cya

I know what you mean, it was a little disappointing to have the jap style moving comic things instead of beautiful cinematics.

Well done on defeating the DLC :applause:

I had no magic in this stage, ... when I reached the final part of the boss, my energy was just a tiny little bar where ANY of his hit were 1-hit killing me.

I made the same mistake. I figured I was doing well enough at the second checkpoint that I would breeze through to the credits. The final phase took me well over 30 retries to beat. I was in a position where I needed to finish him without taking any damage at all, because any attack he did was enough to kill me outright.

I think luck ends up playing a part here. You need to be fortunate enough to get a high number of attacks you can retaliate after (there are only really two at this point - the double swords attack and the one where he drags the wrecking ball through an ark), and a low number of attacks which are really hard to evade.

(the horizontal sword slash move in particular, where many time, you just can't runaway fast enough if you're too close to him after a bunch of hit).

I also found the quick horizontal sword swipe the hardest to avoid. If you're at the wrong range when he chooses to use this, you're basically dead. I was never able to escape it. Second only to that, would be the barrage of needles. Again, if you're in a bad place when this starts this, there's a high probability you'll be taking lots of damage.

In case anyone else is wondering, the Dark Crystal summon does no damage at all to the Forgotten One :(

EDIT: Actually the guide covers most of what I've said. Nice work Smartbomb!

The only thing I'd add is about the first trial. It might be worth stressing that folks should get all 100 neutral orbs on the very first stage of the boss battle. I got 98 orbs quickly and easily there, then progressed past the checkpoint, thinking I'd get the last 2 orbs easily. It turns out the second phase is much, much harder to get orbs from. Those last 2 orbs took about 10 minutes! :o

Edited by TurboSquirrel