Want to Buy This Game - Should I?

Phodda

This game is pretty good, the battle system is very different from your average RPG and it is very fun. Although it is a bit hard to get used to it but once you do its great. The game has some very noticeable difficulty spikes so you'll probably have to grind a bit but if you are doing the arena battles (you have to if you want the plat) then you shouldn't have any problems. The story is weird to say the least but the gameplay makes up for it, if you are fan of RPG's you should definitely get this one.

Demon's Souls is also great so if you like Action RPG's better than SRPG's then you should probably get Demon's Souls instead. Wouldn't know about NIER as i haven't played it but i've heard really good comments about it.

this game should satisfy your rpg craving. as neo mentioned dark souls is more action orientated and nier is on the opposite side of difficulty compared to RoF.

i was happy with my RoF purchase and i enjoy rpgs more than other genres. the game was cheap and i got a lot of hours out of it so the decision to buy was more than worth it.

ive also enjoyed valkyria chronicles, eternal sonata, ffx13 and i would put RoF 2nd on my list of my favorite ps3 true-rpgs.

if you like rpgs and can get past the learning curve i dont see why you wouldnt enjoy RoF.

Yeah I've been on the fence on this game for awhile now. On one hand it looks pretty fun, on the other hand I get kinda the feel of Trinity: Souls of Zill'Ol when I see anything from this game.

Lot of filler mission and few story moments. Got that feeling from the reviews and gameplay footage I've watched, not actually heard anyone say it though.

Well, RoF is my 2nd favourite PS3 game so far (Beaten by Valkyria Chronicles) and 3rd favourite game so far this generation (ToV being number 1). Sure it has a steep learning curve (So steep that 2 of the 3 'friends' I lent my copy to didn't even finish the first chapter as they were so shit at it, I personally never found it THAT hard) but I like games that give some form of challenge, as long as it's not broken difficulty which this isn't. I liked the characters, I liked the battle system, I even liked the story. Never really hit the whole 'WHY THE FUCK AM I DOING THIS' phase I've gone through on the road to the plat with many other RPG's (WKC, SO4, FF XIII, CE, Nier, Ar Tonelico... Might be others). Almost reached it when doing the arena trophy, but not quite. I didn't really like the 'world map' though. Thought that was rather half assed.

As for the other two games you mentioned, they are both good games but of the two, I think Nier is better. Better story, better characters (Not just because your character on Demon's doesn't really have their own personality either, I really liked the ones in Nier, bar urm... Don't even remember his name... Magic guy...), more to do... It's just better. Though maxing all the weapons is a damn pain in the ass...

Edited by Tsunami

Lot of filler mission and few story moments. Got that feeling from the reviews and gameplay footage I've watched, not actually heard anyone say it though.

That describes this game pretty well actually, the story it's slow to start and when things start to get interesting it just ends with a lot of loose ends, don't expect much from this game's story.

Never really hit the whole 'WHY THE FUCK AM I DOING THIS' phase I've gone through on the road to the plat with many other RPG's (WKC, SO4, FF XIII, C.ng the arena trophy, but not quite. I didn't really like the 'world map' though. Thought that was rather half assed.

Really? I found the arena trophy to be as boring as the turtle farming in FFXIII, i mean its 50 battles that you have to do 10 times each, that's 500 battles it got really boring for me at some point. The battle system is fun indeed but when you have to repeat the same battle over and over and over it gets tedious.

And yeah it has a steep learning curve and you'll probably get smashed in the first chapter a couple times until you finally "understand" how to play the game. But it does get quite fun after you get used to it.

Really? I found the arena trophy to be as boring as the turtle farming in FFXIII, i mean its 50 battles that you have to do 10 times each, that's 500 battles it got really boring for me at some point. The battle system is fun indeed but when you have to repeat the same battle over and over and over it gets tedious.

Oh I imagine if I did it all in one go I would have definately reached the point of wondering why the hell I was doing it. But I didn't. I did bits as I was advancing the story to help with leveling. Made it much less tedious.

• 3 weeks later...