Resident Evil Code: Veronica X

Too dark?

I just bought the game and it's way too dark even with the brightness max'd. Oh and anyone noticed choppy framerate when cgi cutscenes are played? Overall it looks really nice, i love the improved lighting and shadows :)

http://nienagrani.pl/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2yotw8w.gif

Edited by Wolfie

Oh and anyone noticed choppy framerate when cgi cutscenes are played?

I have.

I couldn't tell if it was a fault of the original title, or a problem with this port. Regardless, it didn't bother me too much

Game brightness looks fine on my screen (granted I have a user setting which has the gamma much higher than the default), only thing I've noticed is that some scenes, particularly ones with the emphasis on the enhanced lighting (such as OP's picture) looking like they had a soft-blur filter applied.

I have.

I couldn't tell if it was a fault of the original title, or a problem with this port.

I'm pretty sure the slight lagging during the FMVs was not the case in the original version (or at least the PS2 version). Then again, FMVs never look very good after a HD conversion, but it's the first one where I've noticed lag as well.

Either way, the in-game graphics are quite different from before imo; they made everything darker and grittier, I assume to try and make it look more realistic. It took a while before I got used to it, but I think it works quite well. The only thing that really looks weird are less detailed parts of the character models; look at their ears. It makes me smile everytime a cutscene zooms in on a character's face. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Way too fucking dark. The original PS2 version actually looked better than this in every way. What were they thinking with this shit?

Given your name, I'm just going to assume you were trolling.

The PS2 and Dreamcast versions looked grey and washed out. The HD remaster looks much better. Sure it can be dark at times, but it's a Resident Evil game. Plus the game is during the night, so of course it's going to be dark.

There's no argument about the cutscenes, they look like complete shit. But that's because Capcom was lazy and didn't do anything to make them look good. All in all, this version looks the best compared to all the others. But that's just my opinion.

I'll say yes it's way too damn dark at times, while the frozen helipad looks like it's getting a vicious air brushing with how white/foggy it is. Half of the game I'm blind because of poor lighting; it works, because if it's dark it should look it. My only complaint is what they did with the Nosferatu battle, it could be my memory but I don't remember the visibility being that bad on the DC/PS2.

The only problem I have with the darkened areas is that some pick-up items are so much harder to see now. I passed by an area where I still knew there should be a green herb in a corner, but that corner was so dark that I simply couldn't see the herb anymore. So I was like "Huh? Did they remove some herbs from the game now?" Then I walked up to the pitch-black corner and tapped the action button. Soon enough, I found myself a green herb.

Luckily I'm making my A-rank notes while playing the PS2 version, so I won't be missing such things.

(Yeah, those notes which I haven't touched in months, motivation = 404)

The only problem I have with the darkened areas is that some pick-up items are so much harder to see now. I passed by an area where I still knew there should be a green herb in a corner, but that corner was so dark that I simply couldn't see the herb anymore. So I was like "Huh? Did they remove some herbs from the game now?" Then I walked up to the pitch-black corner and tapped the action button. Soon enough, I found myself a green herb.

Luckily I'm making my A-rank notes while playing the PS2 version, so I won't be missing such things.

(Yeah, those notes which I haven't touched in months, motivation = 404)

There's nothing wrong with putting it off. This is one of those games where you need to take your time otherwise you'll find yourself hating it. Notes and/or remembering is vital for this game. I had MS Word open with all the puzzle nonsense while I forced myself to remember where enemies appear, when they respawn and what they are. I got my final trophies a week or so ago and looking back on it, there are actually not a lot of enemies in the game. The hard part is not getting into a situation you can't get yourself out of. There's also a lot of those dark corners in this version, where I distinctly remember being able to see them on the earlier versions. The most noticeable corner is in the hallway under the tank (Christ - Rockfort Island); one of the corners has a blue herb, green herb and a shotgun shells pickup.

^ One of the things which worries me most are the Hunters. I remember this one time when I was playing as Chris; his health was still in green "Fine" condition, but I did take a few hits before, so I might have been close to yellow "Caution". Anyway, a Hunter jumps at me, slashes, and... off with Chris' head! Damn freaks... at least you can still see them clearly.

Heh, those darker areas make me wonder how a certain someone is still able to see where he goes...

[spoiler=435624653529]Wesker, the man with the sunglasses. Seriously now, does he have night sight with those eyes of his? -_-;

<edit> Wait, that would contradict RE5. Fission mailed.

Edited by Xernova

• 1 year later...

haha the game is supposed to be that dark :p its normal!

thats why you're given the lighter, and reasons why you have

to turn on the electricity in certain parts of the game :]

but I do agree that if you play it while there's still daylight outside

it can be quite hard at certain portions of the game to see :p