Is the HD remake worth it?

phoenragon

Is the HD version worth it?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the HD version worth it?

• Yes, even if you have previous versions of the game.
    • Yes, only if you don't have a previous version of the game.
    • No, it's not worth it.

This remake is an upscaled bodge job and is not in true HD, the Trophies are a joke as you only need two playthroughs to get all 12. Also add in the fact there is no (P), no Move Support and you have almost no reason to buy it if you already own the far superior Wii version. IMO this release is for completionists only :(.

There was a side-by-side-comparison done a while back that showed so I will try to find it.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resident-evil-4-hd/124116-how-different-gamecube-version.html

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typos.

Thanks terminator.

I hope to see more replies like yours, since you clearly supported your opinion on the matter. I'm hoping that enough people will do the poll as well so we can get an idea of the worthiness of this game at a glance.

Personally, I've enjoyed the Wii version so much that I don't see myself ponying up the dough to get the HD version. But that is one reason I started this poll: to find out what others think as well.

There's additional info here:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resident-evil-4-hd/127828-hd-changes-gc-wii-ps2.html

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resident-evil-4-hd/126099-being-remaster-how-would-you-rate-re4-hd.html The consensus in this poll was it was average at best but others liked it though I guess it depends on much of an RE fan you are.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo.

There's additional info here:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resident-evil-4-hd/127828-hd-changes-gc-wii-ps2.html

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resident-evil-4-hd/126099-being-remaster-how-would-you-rate-re4-hd.html The consensus in this poll was it was average at best but others liked it though I guess it depends on much of an RE fan you are.

Thanks. Reading through the other poll thread now. They are really tearing into the HD remake :eek: but I'm glad to see some honest criticism. I'm still hoping this thread might answer the poll question a bit more directly.

I think it just depends on which version you own and if you find any incentive to play the remake.

I picked this up for $10, it was worth it in my opinion. Not exactly an impressive HD remake but it beats dusting my PS2 to pop in the game, updated graphics are nice. As a trophy hunter, this is obviously a disappointing list, would have liked to see a full set but I'll take it. There was no reason not to get it really.

I can see why a Wii owner would be hard pressed to shell out the money for this though.

• 2 weeks later...

trophies are terrible etc but the game as a whole i feel is worth it. i got it a month ago to get ready for resident evil 6. and on resi 5 right now aswell and i had resi 4 years ago and it is great, and even when i re purchased it a month ago it took me almost 20 hours to play through the game again. honestly get it i say, its creepy aswell, good atmosphere. i still have not deleted the game. prob play again next year at some point.

I think it just depends on which version you own and if you find any incentive to play the remake.

I picked this up for $10, it was worth it in my opinion. Not exactly an impressive HD remake but it beats dusting my PS2 to pop in the game, updated graphics are nice. As a trophy hunter, this is obviously a disappointing list, would have liked to see a full set but I'll take it. There was no reason not to get it really.

I can see why a Wii owner would be hard pressed to shell out the money for this though.

If I could snag it for $10, I'd probably get it too. But, as you pointed out, already having the Wii version puts me off spending $20 on the HD remake (especially since I got the Wii version for $12 and some change...) It doesn't help that I LOVE the Wii controls and RE4 HD doesn't support the move controller even though RE5 does <.< I wonder why that is?

• 1 month later...

I first played this game on Wii and it was my first time playing any RE game, LOVED IT.

To date, playing through it the first time, was one of the best gaming experiences i have ever had.

When RE5 was released i picked up my pre-order on day 1 and fell in love all over again, and this time i got that little "hit" of a trophy popping.

When i heard RE4 HD was being released WITH TROPHIES i couldn't wait to play through it again!! It had been a good year or so, it was almost like playing the game new again, with some memory of what was going to happen, but that "hit" of hearing the trophy pop was enough for me.

Yeah the trophy list wasn't all that deep and meaningful, but really the game IS fantastic, well worth playing through again even if it didn't have trophys, they are just the cherry on top really.

Anyway, you guys that are criticizing the game were expecting more from it that it gave, fair enough............ my point is its a fantastic game by itself without anything else, so the 12 trophies it does give you, just take them and be happy, enjoy playing the game again and move on, after all this is a PS3 trophy site isn't it?? You wouldn't be here if you didn't care about the trophies :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Reason I bought it was based off nostalgia. Remembered it being a lot of fun when I beat it a few times on PS2. Got a digital copy with my RE6 and I gotta say it still holds up pretty well. While it claims to be an HD port the game doesn't look as good as I hoped but I didn't expect Capcom to go all out and redo the game from the ground up.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh yes, very worth it. The best game of 2005. The one that first introduced the over-the-shoulder aim and with it revolutionized gaming. It's not really worth the money if you already own more of the same copy on other systems, but this one has HD graphics (which really didn't matter to me), trophies, and all the bonus content from the PS2. Overall, it's a great buy if you never played it before.

• 1 year later...

If you have the Wii version, not worth it as honestly I'd say the Wii version is the best version. But, if you have the GC or the awful ps2 version then I'd say yes. The game doesn't look bad by any means to me, but at the same time the Wii controls worked so well with the game (even if it did make the game piss easy.) and even the Wii version didn't look bad. As everyone has said the trophies are a joke (the hardest one involving collecting all the bottle caps.) so they really dropped the ball on that one. I would pick it up on sale, especially if you can get the bundle with Code Veronica X at a discount.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...