What Character Are You?

Brandon_2535

What character are you currently play with? Also, what upgrades are you using?

Thought it would be fun to discuss how everyone is playing.

Do you use all defensive upgrades? All offensive upgrades? All tactical upgrades? A combination of those?

I have a level 45 Armand. I played online co-op and got reset a few upgrades, though. Which means I no longer have the ability to purchase all of the upgrades. Pretty lame.

Anyway, I have all but two upgrades purchased. I don't really like Armand's shield ability. It's alright if you're in a bind and need to escape or get health, but I didn't think it was that great otherwise. The upgrade where you can deflect enemy bullets and rockets is pretty neat, but the shield doesn't stay up for very long, even when it's fully upgraded. With that said, I tend to stay away from his tactical upgrades. I am enjoying the ram plate, though.

Wasn't a huge fan of the offensive upgrades either. This is where I'm missing the top two upgrades, though. I guess if I had the upgrade for a bigger magazine size it might be worth it. I just felt like counting on secondary ammunition was a bad idea. Once you start upgrading the regular machine gun during actual missions, it's super affective. I suppose secondary ammunition might come in handy during the heavier battles, though.

I prefer the defensive upgrades. The game is pretty tough and if you're not careful, you can lose a ton of damage very quickly. Let me start off by saying that the "Second Chance" upgrade is not worth it. If you pick up a health pack in time to keep your life, it barely gives you any health to start with. It would be nice if it re-filled your health bar at least half way, but it only gives you a small sliver. Totally lame. Don't use it. Auto repair is a good start, but it's pretty slow and only activates when you are low on health. I would suggest getting rid of it once you start purchasing more upgrades.

With all that said, here's what I am currently using:

• Ram Plate
  • Hardened Hull
  • Spare Parts
  • Extra Life

If you're early in the game, the "Extra Life" upgrade isn't really necessary. The battles get pretty tough later on, though. I think it would be nice to have when you start the hardcore play-through too. If you run out of lives in co-op, you don't get credit for the mission even if your partner(s) finish, so that's why it would be a good thing to have.

So, that's what I'm using and prefer to have when I roll into battle.

What about you? What character are you going to try next?

Edited by Brandon_2535

I'm playing the chick with the EMP, and found that ability to be extremely useful. In addition to disabling enemy weapons you can upgrade it to deal damage. Fully upgraded EMP kills all smaller enemies in one go, and dish moderate damage on all others.

Love the gameplay mechanics, but the hardcore difficulty is just suffocating, and requires tremendous amount of patience and perseverance. And the thing with the guided enemy missiles that almost always find their target, is really cheap. I'm 3 levels away from maximizing my character, and after that i'm reverting to normal, because i feel like i'm starting to gradually hate on this game. :mad:

Edited by nastich88

The delay in Roxy's air stike, and the immobility for Gunnar's Heavy Cannon make them both unsuitable for when you're in a tight bind...

I have been playing as Diz, with these upgrades: Hardened Hull, Auto-Reload secondary weapons, secondary weapons Magazine Size Elite and Static Shock. With these upgrades: you have more health, and you recover more health when picking up a health pack. These two secondary weapon upgrades allow you to store up to six rockets and it auto-replenishes the ammo too! Static Shock allows you to get out of a tough bind in style.

I will have to try the setup Yoszek described in the guide (Defense:Hardened Hull, Tactics: Static Shock-Elite & Efficiency-Elite & Super Charged).

• 4 months later...

I'm using Diz at level 45 with all 4 slots used to boost the EMP: Faster cool down, Faster cool down elite, range increase and duration increase with minor damage boost.

This has proven extremely effective. the EMP is devastating with this setup and you can use it often. If you pick where to use it wisely, the toughest battles on each stage become much more manageable. Particularly areas of level 9 which have tanks and multiple rocket turrets in the same place.

I'm now levelling up Gunnar. His special shield ability seems hugely inferior.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For my first run I did Roxy. I tried Gunnar and Armand, but they didn't feel very strong early on. Got through the game, and got all the trophies on my sub account. It wasn't easy on Hardcore, but once I got the hang of using her, I did alright.

For my second run on my main account, I switched to Diz, and I didn't fail a mission until I got to Level 9 on Hardcore. I quit a couple of times on Level 6 when trying to get the 50X combo and Alien rank. Diz is far more forgiving, especially with the upgraded EMP.

• 1 month later...