Updated: Tips for Boosting RDR Online Trophies (The Glitch is back May 12th 2015)

swotam

As of May 12th 2015, the RDR servers have been hacked yet again :(.

OK, maybe not the most catchy title for this thread but I wanted to post some tips on how to get the various RDR online trophies needed for the Plat considering all the issues with the servers lately. This won't cover any DLC trophies.

None of these strategies are new, and most are adapted from other posts I found here or elsewhere online. However, they all work even with the server problems and can be done with a single boosting partner so I guess that's what matters.

There are 9 online trophies required to get the Platinum. These are:

Have Gun Will Travel, Slow on the Draw, Hit the Trail, Posse Up!, The Quick and Everyone Else, How the West Was Won, Go Team!, Most Wanted, Red Dead Rockstar.

So, here we go:

Have Gun Will Travel

Complete all Hideouts in a single public Free Roam session

In a Private Online session, complete Nosalida, Tesoro Azul, Fort Mercer, Gaptooth Breach, Twin Rocks, Solomon's Folly, and Tumbleweed. Then, switch to a Public Online session and complete Pike's Basin. The reason I suggest Pike's Basin is because even if the enemies don't spawn due to server issues you can still destroy the weapon crates and complete the hideout successfully. As long as you did these all in the same Multiplayer session and didn't return to Single Player, the trophy should pop shortly afterwards.

Slow on the Draw

Get 10 assists in a single Hideout in a public Free Roam session

Get a boosting partner, join a Public Free Roam session, and form a posse. Make sure you can both see each other and that your horses come when called. Go to the Twin Rocks hideout (south side is best) and get close enough to see the message on screen that says to kill the gang members but do not engage them. Make sure there are enemies there (red dots on radar) so that the hideout won't autocomplete as soon as you arrive. If any of these things don't work, jump sessions until all three happen.

While standing near the hideout (but not close enough for the gang members to shoot at you), have your boosting partner whistle for their horse. Shoot your partner's horse in the rear twice with a pistol, then have your boosting partner should kill their horse with a headshot using the shotgun. You will get an assist message on screen. Repeat 10 times and your trophy will pop. Occasionally an assist won't register so repeat as needed until you each get 10.

Hit the Trail

Get from Blackwater to Escalera before sundown in a public Free Roam session

Nothing special here except to make sure that your horse will come when you call it. Join a Friendly Free Roam session to eliminate any chance of someone killing you along the way. Just go to Blackwater and hop on your horse. Leave after sunrise (6:00 am) and ride to Escalera before sundown (6:00 pm). Easy trophy.

Posse Up!

Create a posse and get the maximum number of members (8 members including yourself)

This is obviously easier if you can get a few friends to help you out, but otherwise just join a Public Online session (preferably one with a bunch of people) and invite them to your posse. If some people don't join try sending them a message on PSN letting them know that you're trying to get a trophy and that you'd appreciate it if they could join for a few minutes. Odds are some will be willing to help you out. Continue to invite people as they join and eventually you'll get it. Try to stay in the same session rather than jumping from one to another since doing so will bring your existing posse members with you and some people won't like it if you do that. It may take a while, but patience is a virtue.

The Quick and Everyone Else

Be the top scoring player in any three consecutive FFA games in public matches

You can do this legitimately with a bit of luck but given the state of the servers your luck may not get you that far, however it is easy to boost. From what I can determine, "consecutive FFA games" means that the person going for the trophy cannot return to Free Roam once you start the lobby as doing so will reset the count. Get a boosting partner and find a public session where you are the only ones there (or kick people to get it that way). Go to a town (Chuparosa is a good choice) and start a Free for All match using :triangle: at the post. Make sure your partner joins the lobby and that you are the only ones there, then vote to start and get the match underway. If anyone else joins before you start or after the duel, kick them immediately as this only works when there are 2 people in the match.

When the match starts you must win the duel. Immediately check to ensure that nobody else joined the match and kick them if necessary, then have your boosting partner logout of PSN. The match will end and you will be the winner by default. Choose to replay the same match and re-invite your boosting partner from the match lobby. Repeat this process and the trophy will pop upon completion of the third match.

Make sure you always check if anyone joined the match while the duel was happening. I'd say that 50% of the time there would be at least one more person in the match that needed to be kicked before my partner disconnected. If you forget and someone else is in your match you won't win (unless you do so legit) and will have to start the whole process over again.

How the West Was Won

Reach the top rank for multiplayer experience (Rank 50)

Two ways to do this. The legitimate way, or the glitched way. There's already a thread on how to use the glitch so I won't go into detail, but needless to say it involves going to MacFarlane's ranch and shooting one or more of the NPC's that are stuck in the ground. You can get from rank 1 - 50 in under an hour using the glitch, or after several dozen hours if playing legit, and the trophy will pop as soon as you hit Rank 50.

Go Team!

Be on the winning team for four consecutive victories in any team based game in public matches

Again you can do this legitimately, however that might be hard given the servers. Luckily a team match can consist of 2 people, one on each team, so grab your boosting partner and find a Public session where you are the only ones there. The strategy is exactly the same as The Quick and Everyone Else except that you need 4 wins rather than 3. I'd suggest doing one of the Gang matches in Armadillo but any one will do. Follow the same process as detailed above for The Quick and Everyone Else and your trophy will pop after the 4th "win".

Note that if you get stuck on the loading screen once you start the match (happened to me every time), wait about 30 seconds and then have your boosting partner disconnect from PSN. You will enter the match solo and immediately win. Repeat this process 3 more times and voila, trophy!

Most Wanted

Become a Public Enemy for 10 minutes and escape alive in a public Free Roam session

This is very easy to get in a Friendly Free Roam session if you are planning on using the glitch to get XP at MacFarlane's Ranch. When you shoot one of the NPC's stuck in the ground you'll get a Wanted level and then be flagged as a Public Enemy since the game will keep pushing the bounty over $1000 as it thinks you're killing the NPC over and over. Just go sit somewhere that the lawmen can't get at you (the back roof of the barn is a good spot) and after 10 minutes you should get Most Wanted. If it doesn't pop in-game, try reloading the game after you're done with the glitch and see if it shows up in your trophy list. You may also want to try entering the Outfitter after the 10 minutes have passed, however when in a glitched session the Outfitter may not load properly. Overall this is easy to get, just don't die for 10 minutes and you're good to go.

Red Dead Rockstar

Kill a Rockstar or someone with this Trophy in a public multiplayer match

Just kill someone who already has the trophy, which is pretty much everyone who's been playing for any length of time. Easily boosted if you have a partner with the trophy since you'll get it when you boost The Quick and Everyone Else or Go Team! Otherwise just play public FFA shootout matches until it pops. I got it on my first kill in a public FFA match, it's pretty common. No worries on this one.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... many of these strategies are quite new to me. :applause:

Thanks, I appreciate it. My personal favorite is the "shoot the horse in the ass" method of getting the gang hideout assists. It's funny that it works, and even funnier when you're both done and there's 20+ dead horses lying on the ground at your feet.

Great thread Swotam, well done, very informative. LOL at the horse assist tip. :rofl:

Thanks, appreciate it.

How do you do gaptooth bridge with the server issues? It tells me to go into the mine, and then the cart never spawns

Try doing all the hideouts, except the last one, in a Private session, just do the final hideout (I'd suggest Pike's Basin) in a Public session.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the tips, swotan. Aside from the one that requires you to kill 500 enemies with a mounted gun (which I'm close to achieving by boosting it in El Presidio), I'm missing five of the multiplayer trophies to get to the platinum, so these tips certainly help.

Thanks for these tips Swotam, great job you did here, I hope that they are still effective, just tried online last night and could not comprehend why my guy is holding air instead of a rifle! wtf!!?? And this morning I check internet and see what has happened with R* online game and servers and all. This is exactly what I need, so I applause you my friend, applause ;D

Can the Go Team trophy be unlocked in a Free for All or does it have to be a Team Deathmatch.

No, it has to be a team-based match. But it's still very easy since you need only one person per "team." I've gotten these for many people now (not boosting them any more, sorry), and the only thing that can really mess it up is having someone join before your partner DCs from PSN. Then you have to win legit or start over with zero wins. The other thing is if more than one joins, you won't be able to kick them because you won't have enough votes. But I've never found it too difficult to find a mostly empty free roam to boost this in.

The servers are ridiculously slow and while I'm waiting for my friend to rejoin, somebody joins the match. It gets so annoying playing on the shitty servers.

Yeah that sucks man. Keep trying. The only thing that took time for me was finding an empty lobby to start. That could take a few minutes, and then I would invite whoever needed the trophy. You're probably doing this already, but make sure the friend DCs immediately after you win the standoff. I would always hit select really fast after I died to see we were still just 2, and then DC. And be sure to invite as soon as you see them back online (with the other accepting as quickly as possible).

After that, maybe try slightly different times of day. Or try hardcore/friendly free roams. Difficulty is irrelevant since you're not actually playing.

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Good luck to you.

Yeah I was guessing it was disconnect. I will probably wait till the servers are fixed. Were the servers always this slow or was faster before it fucked up? It's the waiting and freezing part that pisses me off.

It's a great game, but it's always been a glitchy mess even before the worst of it started late last year. Remember that if your partner is stuck in a loading screen after you start the match, he/she can wait about 30 seconds and then disconnect. You should still get a win.

Also, if you're having general problems getting stuck in endless loading screens or having the game freeze up: Delete only the file marked Game Options in the Saved Data Utility.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the tips. I wish the DLC trophies were as easy to get.

Most of the DLC stuff is actually easier to do than the main game stuff other than the trophies that require groups of people. :p Since it's such a mess to try and get in a public game that you can earn the trophies in they're a lot harder than doing the DLC in private.

I'm almost done with online at this point (only need advanced co-op and pass into legend- I'm alreday lvl 50 but I don't want to lose my guns) and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I've expected. The public trophies Go Team and The Quick and Everyone Else are very difficult to get because 90% of the time you get a glitched session but I've actually found a way to get them- when your session is glitched players will be able to join but you will be stuck on loading before the match starts. Most of them quit after 1-2 mins and you're left alone. That counts as a win and helped me a lot to get both trophies kind of legit. The DLC is mostly very easy except for 3 trophies which are a matter of getting enough people in a session and I was surprised that there are still so many people playnling despite the problems with servers. I got lucky and spent only 1 afternoon boosting them and helping other people get them thanks to an amazing group of boosters who were very patient (one time we wasted 35 mins because it disconnected right as a player was about to win).

• 3 weeks later...
So if I start taking the gang posts in a private and then do the last one in public it will unlock the trophy? Just wondering since it says in a single public session.

Yes that's the way around that trophy. I think there's a specific one you have to leave for last though since the ones with only enemies don't count properly when done in a glitched public game. I think it's the one in the ravine area north-west of Macfarlene's Ranch where you have to blow stuff up at the end.