Unlimited XP Glitch in RDR Online (The Glitch is back Sept 6th, 2018)

swotam

As of May 12th 2015, the RDR servers have been hacked yet again :(.

I take no credit for discovering this, I just came across a post in another thread and thought it might be worthwhile creating a separate thread so that others might find the info more easily.

The glitch seems to be related to current issues with the RDR online servers, so who knows how long it will last. However, you can easily get from Level 1 to 50 within an hour or so without having to do much except stand there.

Basically, go to a public session (doesn't work in private), and go to MacFarlane's Ranch. You'll see loads of guys (NPCs) lying in the ground stuck. Shoot/melee one, then go somewhere to hide from the cops (my personal choice is the top of the barn, as the cops can't see you and will stop chasing you). If you go to the current player/score list, you'll see that your XP score is rapidly growing. Just stay put and it shouldn't stop. Even if it does, you can trigger it again by shooting one of the guys again.

I would suggest a Friendly Free Roam session so that other players don't kill you repeatedly. Once at MacFarlane's, the area around the train station seems to be the best spot. In a couple of Free Roam sessions there were at least a dozen NPC's stuck in the ground around the platform and office, and it seems like the more you shoot, the faster the XP will accumulate.

You'll know if the glitch is triggered if your screen goes all blurry and the middle portion starts shaking. The game audio will also make a low rumbling noise. You can press :down: to see your XP accumulate in real time.

Keep in mind that you will initially get a Wanted level when you shoot the NPC, however if you run away until your Wanted level goes away you can return to MacFarlane's and the XP will continue to accumulate while you just stand there. You can even shoot additional NPC's without gaining a new Wanted level.

This glitch can be used to get to Level 50 so that you can obtain the How the West Was Won trophy, and if you have the DLC you can also Pass into Legend (basically Prestige) to get the Legend trophy. You can also use the glitch to get additional Legend levels if you wish, all that's required is the time taken to gain the XP multiple times. If you want 5th level Legend it will take about 4 hours.

I would suggest that once you hit Level 50 you should change to a new Friendly Free Roam session before you choose to Pass into Legend. Despite the fact that XP is no longer accumulated once you hit 50, the glitch will continue to affect your current session and may cause you some issues if you try to do other things in-game without switching sessions first.

This glitch is also a great way to get Most Wanted, In a Hail of Bullets, and Long Arm of Marsten if you don't already have them.

When you shoot one of the NPC's stuck in the ground you'll get a Wanted level and then be flagged as a Public Enemy since the game will keep bumping up the bounty well over $1000 as it thinks you're killing the NPC over and over. Just go sit somewhere that the lawmen can't get at you (the back roof of the barn is a good spot) and after 10 minutes you should get Most Wanted. If it doesn't pop in-game, try reloading the game after you're done with the glitch and see if it shows up in your trophy list. You may also want to try entering the Outfitter after the 10 minutes have passed, however when in a glitched session the Outfitter may not load properly (happened to me twice).

For the Pistol and Rifle trophies, make sure you shoot at least 1 NPC with these weapon types. Since the game is counting that single shot over and over, you'll very quickly hit the 500 kills mark for each weapon type and the trophies will pop.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to add is I have actually found the same NPCs at Armadillo as well, and suspect they are to be found in most of the towns. The more you shoot the more do you get, so shoot 3 or so and then leave the console. Thanks for the post, anything to get the trophies faster helps. Glad there is something good to come out of these servers.

Okay quick add on.

Seems like the more of those people you shoot at (they are unkillable) the faster you will gain xp. They are found by the train station and also sometimes in big groups in the stables across from the station.

There are 2 types of this glitch,

1. Kill, screen goes blurry, sheriffs come after you and you go for as long as possible while accumulating a $40 addition to your bounty roughly every 2 seconds. For this one, best advice is to hide in the barn, although NPCs will sometimes magically climb up and try to kill you.

2. Kill, screen goes blurry. This one accumulates a bounty and gives you XP, but no sheriffs will come after you and you will lose your wanted level immediately. This one only works for around 5 minutes or so and then will forcefully quit the game to the XMB, still saving your progress. '

#1 is the one you want to go for, so if you get #2 just know that it won't last long and nothing is wrong with your game.

Personally I got a 10,000 bounty and gained 30+ levels before I got off, leaving me at 49 (don't want to accidentally pass into legend)

Anyone looking to level up fast should try this method before it gets patched (if).

Edited by Bounty V
please use the edit function instead of double posting

Personally I got a 10,000 bounty and gained 30+ levels before I got off, leaving me at 49 (don't want to accidentally pass into legend)

You have to Pass into Legend manually, it won't happen automatically unless you're on your 5th prestige. You can safely hit 50 without worrying about that.

Thanks for posting this, I had heard there where some glitches happening now but didn't realise they were so awesome :) What initiated all the current glitches online? ie what changed?

Having reached lvl50 before (seperate account) and grinding upto 40 on this one I'm glad I could get to lvl 50 quick :D

Things were relatively stable online up until a few weeks ago. That's when a modder (or group of modders) claimed "credit" for fucking the game up.

It's great for boosting XP, but it's made the rest of the online nearly unplayable. (Hideouts auto-completing, horses not coming when called, etc.) All kinds of workarounds exist for other trophies, but on balance I'd say it's been a nuisance at best.

Some of those workarounds are detailed in this thread:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/red-dead-redemption/221202-multiplayer-servers-down.html

Ya, while the glitch is great for leveling up the game is pretty much broken for most other things. I've only been playing the online since last week and it's been an endless stream of failing to connect, getting stuck on load screens, hideouts auto-completing, invisible players, invisible weapons, horses not coming when called, matches not loading, being unable to earn $$, complete system lockups, and getting randomly kicked back to XMB. I opened a ticket with R* and as you'd expect there's been no response.

I'd highly recommend the strategy of starting Single Player first and then launching Online via the Multiplayer menu. The Online Private sessions seem fine, it's just the public ones that get messed up. However, some trophies require you to be in a public session so that's very hit and miss at the moment.

Despite the fact that the glitch is so helpful for leveling, I really hope R* gets things fixed soon. The game looks like it could be a lot of fun once they get it working again.

I'm unable to even get online, just loads forever on a friendly free roam session :/

EDIT: Still just stuck on a loading screen, any ideas?

Harry best way to get it in, is to get a friend who is in the glitch to give you a multiplayer invite! (it seems to bypass the problems with sessions not loading)

Also just as an update it seems that you gain XP faster the more 'dead' bodies you shoot, however as a word of warning if you shoot too many your PS3 will crash :p.

Edited by BinkUncia

I'd highly recommend the strategy of starting Single Player first and then launching Online via the Multiplayer menu. The Online Private sessions seem fine, it's just the public ones that get messed up. However, some trophies require you to be in a public session so that's very hit and miss at the moment.

Despite the fact that the glitch is so helpful for leveling, I really hope R* gets things fixed soon. The game looks like it could be a lot of fun once they get it working again.

Private sessions can be glitched as well, but in general this happens only when players enter them from public ones. So starting in single player is half the solution. The other half is quitting to the XMB and restarting in single player whenever you want to switch from public to private. Glitches seem to attach themselves to each player and spread like a virus to everyone else in the session. So...when encountering glitches in private, everyone in the session needs to quit/restart in SP and await invites without anyone ever touching a public room. It's the only thing that seems to work.

And yes, it is a fun game. Played it years ago with friends (before any of this current nonsense) and had a blast. Hope it gets a patch, or at minimum a temporary server shutdown/refresh to cleanse the glitches.

I'm unable to even get online, just loads forever on a friendly free roam session :/

EDIT: Still just stuck on a loading screen, any ideas?

Only thing you can do is quit the game. Unless it locks your system up, in which case you must shut it off manually.

But to prevent this happening in the future, consider deleting only the RDR file marked Game Options in the Saved Data Utility. Back up the file beforehand if that makes you uncomfortable. Worked great for me.

Let me start by admitting I have taken advantage of the current state that the RDR servers are in. It seems to be commonly held that the servers have been hacked. If they are indeed in this state due to the deliberate actions of "hackers" or "modders", I question, are my actions defensible? By partaking have I made myself complicit in the original act?

An analogy, if I may.

I am walking down the street when I come across a bank. A robber has come before me, broken in, cracked the safe and made off with a sum of loot. I decide, by virtue of the fact that the bank has already been infiltrated, to help myself to the remaining money. Am I also guilty, or innocent, of theft?

I do partake in boosting trophies (I believe it to be above board and not equivalent to hacking) and have taken advantage of "glitches" that benefit players but I feel in my heart that this is somehow different.

Truly, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, except perhaps myself. I just wanted to discuss this and get other peoples thoughts.

Edited by Zealot

Let me start by admitting I have taken advantage of the current state that the RDR servers are in. It seems to be commonly held that the servers have been hacked. If they are indeed in this state due to the deliberate actions of "hackers" or "modders", I question, are my actions defensible? By partaking have I made myself complicit in the original act?

An analogy, if I may.

I am walking down the street when I come across a bank. A robber has come before me, broken in, cracked the safe and made off with a sum of loot. I decide, by virtue of the fact that the bank has already been infiltrated, to help myself to the remaining money. Am I also guilty, or innocent, of theft?

I do partake in boosting trophies (I believe it to be above board and not equivalent to hacking) and have taken advantage of "glitches" that benefit players but I feel in my heart that this is somehow different.

Truly, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, except perhaps myself. I just wanted to discuss this and get other peoples thoughts.

I suppose on some level you're right, morally/ethically speaking. It certainly feels different to know this current mess of glitches was made on purpose, whether or not the glitch in question was intended by the modders.

But we are talking about video games, not bank robberies. Games were meant to be played. The primary notion of ethics is that the ends never justify the means. But in reality, the only morally defensible action here would be to avoid multiplayer entirely unless/until there's a fix. I don't believe that's reasonable.

I think the overriding point in all of this is the dirty feeling one gets when abusing this glitch. Especially those of us who played the game before all this. We know from experience how long it takes to level up legit (even back when 2x/3x/4x weekends were commonplace). But we still do this because it's just so damn tempting. Nobody can deny wanting to get the associated trophies quickly, and right now this is the fastest way to do so without violating any policies.

Already passed into Legend. Works in private as well btw.

Good to know. Now, private rooms shouldn't be glitched by default. In this case (for XP boosting purposes only), you would want to visit public before switching to private since you do want glitches to appear.

Currently in Friendly Free Roam and watching my XP bar steadily climb whilst ducked behind some fences near the barn at McFarlane's Ranch. So thankful for seeing this post. I got to lvl. 28 in the past with the help of Exp boost weekends, and even then I felt I wasn't gonna get to lvl. 50... I love the game, just not grinding in MP so much...

Bear in mind that if you find that your guns are invisible and therefore not working, you can still activate the glitch with your fists/knife. Seems pretty obvious but a few of my friends didn't realise.

An analogy, if I may.

That's actually a bad example. You're not entering the bank vault were the codes are stored. You're on the street picking up the money the robberes have carlessly dropped leaving the bank. If you were to hack into the bank, then you're guilty. As a custmer of the bank that has poor security you may want to withdraw your funds ASAP before they close the doors. If that means picking up so loose change you find on the floor then pick it up.

I suppose on some level you're right, morally/ethically speaking. It certainly feels different to know this current mess of glitches was made on purpose, whether or not the glitch in question was intended by the modders.

But we are talking about video games, not bank robberies. Games were meant to be played. The primary notion of ethics is that the ends never justify the means. But in reality, the only morally defensible action here would be to avoid multiplayer entirely unless/until there's a fix. I don't believe that's reasonable.

I think the overriding point in all of this is the dirty feeling one gets when abusing this glitch. Especially those of us who played the game before all this. We know from experience how long it takes to level up legit (even back when 2x/3x/4x weekends were commonplace). But we still do this because it's just so damn tempting. Nobody can deny wanting to get the associated trophies quickly, and right now this is the fastest way to do so without violating any policies.

Thanks for your thoughts Thumbs. Yes, I was only considering this from a moral/ethical perspective, not taking into account any actual policies. I will assume hackers do what they do either to gain advantage for themselves or destroy something for/disadvantage others. It would seem logical that the XP "glitch" was the intention as it is seemingly the only positive, if you can call it that, outcome of their handiwork. Perhaps they didn't intend everyone to be able to gain from this but that's how it turned out.

That's actually a bad example. You're not entering the bank vault were the codes are stored. You're on the street picking up the money the robberes have carlessly dropped leaving the bank. If you were to hack into the bank, then you're guilty. As a custmer of the bank that has poor security you may want to withdraw your funds ASAP before they close the doors. If that means picking up so loose change you find on the floor then pick it up.

Thanks for your reply Seeeya. Although I can see your point, I disagree, and I believe the analogy fits rather well here, but perhaps I should have elaborated. If I am aware that the bank has been robbed then, in my opinion, taking money that is obviously from there, whether it be laying outside in the street or inside at the tellers desk or anywhere else, is stealing. Just because I didn't personally crack or even enter the safe doesn't mean that taking the money wouldn't be considered theft in this case. Ownership can't transfer to me simply on the grounds that someone else took it illegally first. Sort of a "two wrongs don't make a right" scenario. The lack of security at the bank also doesn't give me any right to withdraw the funds by illegitimate means.

It seems as though R* may take the same stance as above at least, as they have promised to strip the GTA$ from any and all players who have either actively "glitched" or innocently received it.

http://i.imgur.com/wgQiWru.png

This may mean that all "ill-gotten" XP derived from the current start of affairs on RDR servers could be stripped from all of us who have partaken.

Seriously though guys, I'm not trying to turn this into a controversy, I just find it interesting to talk about these kinds of things. Of course, morals and ethics are very personal and can certainly differ a lot which can make discussions very difficult. But thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Edited by Zealot