Level 1 to 50 in 8 hours.

Eternal21

I decided to post a thread dedicated to how to accomplish this, because that information is spread all over, and incomplete. Ideally it should be in the Trophy Guide thread, so people trying to level up are not wasting their time.

I went from level 1 to 50 in two 5 hour sessions, and would've done it even faster if I knew the trick from the beginning. Here's what you need to do:

If you're already level 40 or more ($200,000+ XP), stop reading. This thread won't help you. Also, it seems that the method doesn't work for digital copies of the game because they come pre-patched to 1.07 already. It also won't work with GOTY editions since they're pre-patched as well. If that's the case you can buy a disc (must be non-GOTY disc) version on e-Bay for $10 or so. Make sure you buy the disc with only John Marston on the cover.

1. Rockstar patched the game a few years back, lowering the XP gained from hideouts three-fold. So instead making $1,300 per minute, you'll be only making $400, and spend 30 hours boosting.

2. To get around the patch, delete your game data (not save data, just game data). The downside is, it will also delete everything you earned in multiplayer, so if you're already a level 40 or more, don't bother with this method.

3. Once you delete game data, you'll need to re-install the game. Then start it up, and when it asks you to upgrade to patch 1.07, click NO. You will have to play RDR offline (can't be signed into PSN). When the game starts, sign into Singleplayer first, then from there click Start, select Multiplayer and pick LAN (you can't enter LAN from main menu directly without installing the patch). You will now be making 3x as much cash from hideouts.

4. People will tell you to go to Solomon's Folly, but I found it to be too spread out. Twin Rocks hideout is much smaller/linear easier to remember. After a number of playthroughs (and you'll have to clear that hideout 250-300 times), you'll be able to consistently hit 1:00 - 1:10 seconds, which nets you $1,337. That's without hitting a single headshot, but you need to chain all 22 kills together.

5. When you start the game, don't go directly to Twin Rocks. Get to Tumbleweed hideout first, to get a Bolt Action Rifle (you can see where it is in the following video). Note - you may need to clear out the barn and the church before it is available. Here's a shortcut tip from Hamza305:

One trick I've found is that to get the Bolt Action Rifle, you don't need to clear out the barn or church at all. Set your marker to Tumbleweed and use a transport marker to get there. When you arrive, you'll be outside the barn with enemies shooting at you. Kill the first 2 or 3 and one of them will ALWAYS drop a Bolt Action Rifle. Take it and bolt towards Twin Rocks. This saves me a lot of time since I don't have to clear out any other hideouts apart from Twin Rocks itself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6YE0H8YFo]Red Dead Redemption - Bolt Action Rifle Location In *HD* - YouTube[/ame]

6. Once you have the rifle go to Twin Rocks, and simply keep clearing the hideout over and over using Bolt Action Rifle - it only takes a single shot to kill most enemies (the ones with Top Hats take two shots). Even if you die the rifle stays with you, and you earn it after you reach level 40, so you no longer need to grab it from the other place.

7. You won't be making a lot of money initially, but after a few games you'll figure out the best way to do it. After a few dozen games I was able to make $1,337 every single game, occasionally even going into $1,700 range (you need to beat the mission in under 1 minute).

8. The way I would do it is:

- When you spawn run down and shoot the guard on top of the big rock closest to you.

- After that use the big rock as cover (don't use R1, simply walk behind it if too many people are shooting at you, to only target the right-most enemies, and work your way towards the center).

- Once you defeat the 2 waves only 4 more enemies appear, use that time to run towards the center and pick up 1 or 2 ammo boxes, but kill one enemy every now and then to keep the kill chain active. You don't need to pick up ammo every round, but once you get low, or die during a session, you should make the trip.

- When you get good you'll be able to get 22 kill chain every time.

- After a bunch of games in a row, the radar stops working, which makes getting chain kills almost impossible. You need to get on the horse and leave Twin Rocks, and then come right back for it to start working again.

- I never used dead-eye or tried going for headshots. I found it more trouble than worth it, and a waste of bullets. You may try it - maybe it will work for you (one trick is the fact that you can skip reloading animation if you hit dead-eye while reloading)

- I'm sure you know this already, but just in case you don't: make sure you set your targeting to 'Casual' mode.

I timed how much cash I was making, and it came out to be about $50,000 per hour (that includes having to clear the radar, load times etc.). That means you could theoretically reach level 50 (@ $337,000) in less than 7 hours. But clearly that's not going to happen right away, because you need to get good at that level first.

Once you reach level 50, you'll get your trophy, and you can safely upgrade to patch 1.07 when prompted. If there are any questions, post them and I'll do my best to answer.

Here's a video of how a typical run should look like:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JCQs0JAHYQ]How to get 112 EXP per Second in Red Dead Redemption Multiplayer Free Roam 30 second Twin Rock Runs - YouTube[/ame]

And finally just for completness sake, a method of getting Legendary trophy, and still keeping your level 50 (NOTE: one poster claims he had to download patch 1.07 at this point, because it didn't work otherwise, so I recommend you get 1.07 first, since you no longer need unpatched game anyway):

1. Once you reach level 50 go to single player.

2. Turn Auto Save off.

3. Go to LAN Multiplayer.

4. Enter into Legend.

5. The trophy will pop.

6. Exit out of the game completely.

7. Start the game again, you'll still be level 50.

8. You can now turn auto-save on.

Edited by Eternal21

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with deleting the patch is that once you redownload it to play online is that it'll reset your rank. So whatever you did offline won't transfer over if you play online. And this sucks for the people that want the Legend DLC trophy where you have to prestige, or just wanted to simply play online.

Edited by Warbear

Not to sound rude, but this is very old news...

The problem with deleting the patch is that once you redownload it to play online is that it'll reset your rank. So whatever you did offline won't transfer over if you play online. And this sucks for the people that want the Legend DLC trophy where you have to prestige, or just wanted to simply play online.

Here's a few myths that I hope to clarify:

MYTH #1:

once you redownload it to play online is that it'll reset your rank

Fact: What gets reset, is your rank you earned BEFORE you deleted the patch. Once you delete it, and earn your new rank, it stays with you.

MYTH #2:

So whatever you did offline won't transfer over if you play online

Fact: Everything you earn offline transfers just fine, including XP, which is the most important piece of data (just did it myself last week).

MYTH #3:

And this sucks for the people that want the Legend DLC trophy where you have to prestige

Fact: Not only can you prestige with your 50, but you can keep that 50, by simply disabling autosave, and prestiging in LAN mode, or using the USB to backup online data (this is beyond the scope of this post though)

Thanks for bringing all those points up though, because it indicates that over 3 years after the game was released, people still don't know how to level up properly. As I've already stated, this information should be part of the guide. I spent a few hours researching it on multiple forums (including Xbox), and would also like to credit chrisheadshot for helpful info on patch behavior.

Edited by Eternal21

Not to sound rude, but this is very old news...

Whatever you do offline does transfer over to online, I can 100% guarantee it because I've done it 3 times. It's when you delete the patch that your stats reset so as long as you do the whole run to level 50 offline you will be level 50 when you reinstall the patch.

I still prefer Solomans Folly to Twin Rocks but everyone's got their preferences I guess:p. I just like Solomans Folly because you can clean up a whole heap of the enemies in the barn with a stick of dynamite.

Whatever you do offline does transfer over to online, I can 100% guarantee it because I've done it 3 times. It's when you delete the patch that your stats reset so as long as you do the whole run to level 50 offline you will be level 50 when you reinstall the patch.

I still prefer Solomans Folly to Twin Rocks but everyone's got their preferences I guess:p. I just like Solomans Folly because you can clean up a whole heap of the enemies in the barn with a stick of dynamite.

Ah okay. I remember resetting my stats back in 2010 so i guess something changed. Good to hear.

And yeah, for solo i did Solomon's Folly as well. Took me about 10 hours to reach rank 50 offline when i deleted the patch.

You gain more XP too when you start memorizing the spawns.

I've always wanted to try this method out, but I have the digital version (base game+Undead Nightmare 49.99 package from the PS store) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to unpatch the game, and unpatching is something I've actually done before on other (non-digital-copy) games.

I deleted the game by going to Game > Game Data Utility > Red Dead Redemption and deleting that file (it said 'Version: - ' for some reason). I reinstalled and never got the option to even patch the game when I started it. Does the digital version come prepatched and so this method doesn't work for digital copies of the game?

Does the digital version come prepatched and so this method doesn't work for digital copies of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if they pre-patched the digital version, in which case you may be out of luck here. Looks like you should be trying the Solomon's Folly method instead, and keep your fingers crossed for 4th of July extra XP event to happen.

Of course you could always try to pick up the original game disc on e-Bay (can probably get it for $10 at this point). It all depends on how much you value your time :).

Edited by Eternal21

I've always wanted to try this method out, but I have the digital version (base game+Undead Nightmare 49.99 package from the PS store) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to unpatch the game, and unpatching is something I've actually done before on other (non-digital-copy) games.

I deleted the game by going to Game > Game Data Utility > Red Dead Redemption and deleting that file (it said 'Version: - ' for some reason). I reinstalled and never got the option to even patch the game when I started it. Does the digital version come prepatched and so this method doesn't work for digital copies of the game?

its weird but I had the same issue with the Game of the Year Edition... it also shows 'Version: - '

after installing the game it never asked for a patch; tried doin everything offline and the same thing happens... also the multiplayer profile never suffer any changes after 3 reinstalls.

:(

Would the method in the video still be recommended even if playing the patched version? It looks really quick and easy from the video. It's going to take longer than unpatched, but it still looks faster and more straightforward than other bandit camps.

Would the method in the video still be recommended even if playing the patched version? It looks really quick and easy from the video. It's going to take longer than unpatched, but it still looks faster and more straightforward than other bandit camps.

I agree. People say you'll get more money in Solomon's Folly, but maybe I just sucked, because this was much faster in my case. Plus it's so short you get to practice it way more, and get much better at it.

its weird but I had the same issue with the Game of the Year Edition... it also shows 'Version: - '

after installing the game it never asked for a patch; tried doin everything offline and the same thing happens... also the multiplayer profile never suffer any changes after 3 reinstalls.

:(

You cant delete GOTY edition Patches or digital version patches because they are pre patched. Any Patch that came out after GOTY or digital game was released then of coarse you can delete that game data but when it comes down to GOTY editions and late digital releases its already in the game. Sorry!

Just do it legit. I did(GOTY) didnt take to long to get to level 42 for me then 3xp week popped up and knock the last 8 lvls out in an hour. 2 words Pikes Basin.

Also 3xp happens quite often just wait for that if you like you will have it in no time!

Also 3xp happens quite often just wait for that if you like you will have it in no time!

I wouldn't say they happen often - you get 3, maybe 4 of those a year if you're lucky, and oftentimes they only last a few hours. I'd only wait if you're in no rush. I say - make your own triple weekend - everyday. By the time you got to level 42, a person using patch method, could reach 50 two times in a row, and then have some left over. I have better things to do than grind online XP legit.

Edited by Eternal21

I wouldn't say they happen often - you get 3, maybe 4 of those a year if you're lucky, and oftentimes they only last a few hours. I'd only wait if you're in no rush. I say - make your own triple weekend - everyday. By the time you got to level 42, a person using patch method, could reach 50 two times in a row, and then have some left over. I have better things to do than grind online XP legit.

What Im saying is not alot of people have the regular game anymore. UK got it Digital for free on PS+ Most others purchased GOTY edition so Pre patch method is out of the question for 3/4 of the people that own the game currently. Has been for a while now.

I owned the game the day it came out got to it shortly after that beat it but never touched MP. So I repurchased GOTY around christmas cause I gave away my old copy years ago. Many people on this site trade games in so they were in the same boat as me.

BTW 3xp last longer then a few hours I seen it last almost a week. Usually it lasts a weekend though and they let you know well in advance. Would only take a few hours doin Pikes basin with 3xp is all Im saying for those in that predicament.

Edited by tmac718

What Im saying is not alot of people have the regular game anymore. UK got it for free PS+ or GOTY edition so your method is out of the question for 3/4 of the people that own the game currently.

I owned the game the day it came out got to it shortly after that beat it but never touched MP because I wasnt really into MP games yet other then PC. So I repurchased GOTY cause I gave away my old copy years ago. Many people on this site trade games in so they were in the same boat as me.

I got the game on opening day as well. Again - it's just a matter of how much you value your time. You can buy original disc online for $10 at this point. I'd rather spend $10, and save myself 20 hours of grinding.

I just deleted the game data, I'm at the screen at when I click multiplayer, it doesn't give me access to LAN at all.

It just asks me to sign in, and when I decline I get sent back to the main screen.

Help?

Ok, might have been my bad, I entered LAN through single player.

So do I have to enter LAN through single player everytime now?

Edited by FootballPsycho
Merging.

Hmm, passing into legend in LAN with auto save off is not popping the trophy for me.

Edit: I assume I would have to download 1.07, enter online multiplayer with auto save off, pass into legend, trophy pop then quit to xmb?

It worked for me in LAN with autosave off, but by that time I already downloaded 1.07, so try downloading it first.

Congrats on leveling up in 1 day.

Edited by Eternal21

Ive been thinking about trying this patch deleting trophy cheat... but I think I am pretty close now (like high 30s or 40s) so I will just wait for another bonus weekend...

Anyone know where is a good place to watch out for rockstar announcing their bonus xp weekends? their facebook page?

Thanks!

It worked for me in LAN with autosave off, but by that time I already downloaded 1.07, so try downloading it first.

Congrats on leveling up in 1 day.

Thanks. Got a little problem though.

I can't seem to access outfitter now after updating and installing the DLC. I'm not too worried about this besides the fact the you have to get X number of kills with certain characters for DLC trophies. The outfitter loading screen just keeps loading endlessly.

Outfitter was working fine for me before I deleted the patch. I have googled and this problem seems prevalent but no fix has been widely accepted. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried accessing through online public and private and LAN, and deleting game options.

Edit: Ok, I deleted game data again, re-installed the update and re-downloaded only the Liars/Cheats and Legends/Killers DLC. Outfitter seems to be working now.

Edited by Vigawla