Red Alert 3 Commander's Challenge

Red Alert 3 Commander's Challenge ~ Trophy Guide and Road Map

This guide is intended for use on PS3Trophies.org only. You may not copy this guide and post it elsewhere, regardless of if you try to pass it off as your own work or give me credit. Changing the wording slightly to try to pass it off as your own work is also forbidden.

If you still have any questions to ask about this game and its trophies, or just want to say thanks, feel free to create an account and say hi. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, and there are plenty of other great guides for other games written by others who will be happy to help you get your trophies.

Overview:

- Estimated trophy difficulty: 7.5/10

- Offline: 12 (8 (B), 3 (S), 1 (G))

- Online: 0

- Approximate amount of time to 100%: About 10-30 hours, depending on skill and a bit of luck.

- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: n/a

- Number of missable trophies: 0

- Glitched trophies: 2 (Victor, Future Leader)

- Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats

The trophy difficulty has been decided by the members in the Trophy Difficulty Thread, which you may view here: Trophy Difficulty Rating - PS3Trophies.org

Introduction: Red Alert 3: Commander's Challenge has no minimum number of playthroughs and no missable trophies due to the way the game is set up. Rather than having a set campaign or story mode that you play in a set order, you start the game with a blank mission selection screen with one challenge unlocked. When you complete this challenge, you will find that more challenges unlock. As you play these new challenges and complete them, you will unlock more and more challenges until you have unlocked them all. However, at any time you are free to replay a challenge you have already completed, meaning that if you miss a trophy requirement the first time you play a challenge, you can easily play it again at your leisure.

Unfortunately, the game does have two glitched trophies. "Victor" requires that you complete all 13 main path challenges, and "Future Leader" requires that you complete every challenge in the game. However, if you complete the all of the challenges under par time your first time through, you will unlock "Superior Commander" and "King Of The World" without getting "Victor" and "Future Leader". The easiest remedy to this situation is to purposely leave one of the main path challenges completed over par time until you have unlocked "Victor" and "Future Leader", then go back and complete that last challenge under par time.

Step 1: Tutorial

The first thing you should do upon starting the game is play the tutorial missions. This will give you the "Star Pupil" trophy, as well as teaching you how to play the game if you haven't already played Command and Conquer Red Alert 3: Ultimate Edition.

Step 2: Complete All Challenges With Any Time

Simply play the challenges so you can unlock new ones and work towards "Victor" and "Future Leader". The real importance of this step is due to the glitches with those two trophies: as mentioned in the introduction, you will want to be sure you have at least one main path mission with a completion time over par so you avoid the glitches. You will also acquire "First Blood", "Battle Tested", and "Battle Hardened" as you work on this step. This is also a good time to acquire "Big Game Hunter", "Going Commando", "Killed A Ton", and "Recycler" as it's unlikely that you can get the trophies and complete the respective missions under par time at the same time.

Step 3: Complete All Challenges Under Par Time

All you should have left here is "Superior Commander" and "King Of The World", so just keep working towards completing the challenges under par time.

Conclusion: You can replay any challenge at any time you wish, so the only thing to note here is one final warning about the glitched trophies. If you avoid triggering the glitches, you'll get all the trophies in this game with some time and patience.

Edited by mjc0961
new forum cleanup

01.jpg Star Pupil (B)

Complete all lessons in the tutorial

Simply select Tutorial from the main menu and complete the five lessons. You must play all of them until they end naturally with the Victorious banner displayed.

02.jpg Victor (B)

Complete all 13 main path challenge missions

Main path challenges appear on the mission selection screen as a circular crosshairs icon. Every time you complete one main path challenge, a new one is unlocked for you to play until you have unlocked all 13 of them. Complete all 13 of these challenges to unlock the trophy. For challenge strategies, see "King Of The World".

WARNING: This trophy does not stack with "Superior Commander", so make sure that you complete at least one of the challenges over the par time before completing all 13 main path challenges.

06.jpg Battle Tested (B)

Complete any 10 challenge missions

Simply complete any 10 challenges to unlock this trophy. The 10 challenges may be a mix of both main path challenges and optional challenges. You do not have to complete the 10 missions under par time to unlock this trophy. For challenge strategies, see "King Of The World".

12.jpg First Blood (B)

Complete the first challenge mission, "Dead Meat"

Dead Meat will be the only challenge you can play at the start of the game, so you cannot miss this. Choose whichever faction you like, it does not matter. When you start you will already have a vehicle producing structure, so start building anti-infantry units: Sickles if you're the Soviets, Riptide ACVs if you're the Allies, and Mecha Tengus if you're the Rising Sun. When you have about five or six ready, send them to the enemy base to attack the Barracks. You may safely ignore the Attack Dogs, but if the enemy trains any other type of infantry, kill them. When the Barracks is destroyed, attack the Construction Yard next (you may want to send more units to help speed things up). From there, simply destroy the Power Plants and Ore Refineries to complete the mission and unlock the trophy.

03.jpg Superior Commander (S)

Complete all 13 main path challenge missions under par time

Main path challenges appear on the mission selection screen as a circular crosshairs icon. Every time you complete one main path challenge, a new one is unlocked for you to play until you have unlocked all 13 of them. Complete all 13 of these challenges under par time (mission icon has a gold star on it on the mission selection screen) to unlock the trophy. For challenge strategies, see "King Of The World".

NOTE: If you use the Red Alert button at any time during a challenge, your completion time will automatically be set to 99:59, so do not use it when attempting to complete challenges under par time.

WARNING: This trophy does not stack with "Victor", so make sure that you complete at least one of the challenges over the par time before completing all 13 main path challenges.

04.jpg Future Leader (S)

Complete all 50 challenge missions

You will unlock new challenges as you complete existing challenges. You must complete all 13 main path challenges and many of the optional challenges, which appear as triangles on the mission selection screen, in order to unlock all 50 challenges in the game. Once you unlock and complete all 50 of the challenges, you will receive this trophy. For challenge strategies, see "King Of The World".

WARNING: This trophy does not stack with "King Of The World", so make sure that you complete at least one of the challenges over the par time before completing all 50 challenges.

07.jpg Battle Hardened (S)

Complete any 25 challenge missions

Simply complete any 25 challenges to unlock this trophy. The 25 challenges may be a mix of both main path challenges and optional challenges. You do not have to complete the 25 missions under par time to unlock this trophy. For challenge strategies, see "King Of The World".

05.jpg King Of The World (G)

Complete all 50 challenge missions under par time

You will unlock new challenges as you complete existing challenges. You must complete all 13 main path challenges and many of the optional challenges, which appear as triangles on the mission selection screen, in order to unlock all 50 challenges in the game. Once you unlock all 50 of the challenges and complete them under par time, you will receive this trophy.

NOTE: If you use the Red Alert button at any time during a challenge, your completion time will automatically be set to 99:59, so do not use it when attempting to complete challenges under par time.

How you tackle these challenges is up to you. Here are various sources for helpful strategies if you get stuck, but be warned that they might not always work. Sometimes the AI will predict what you will do and counter you causing you to miss the par time, and other times they will just sit there and let you destroy them. If they predict your moves, just try the same strategy again or try another strategy.

GameFAQs: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising (PC) FAQ/Walkthrough by RainingMetal - Text walkthrough by RainingMetal of GameFAQs. Skip to section 5.000 for the Commander's Challenge walkthroughs.

YouTube - Kheapathic's Channel - Video waltkthroughs by Kheapathic of YouTube. These are great for two reasons: One, the videos are of the PS3 version, not the PC version. And two, the videos are simply showing how to win under par time instead of going for the fastest time on the leaderboard, so you shouldn't have trouble doing what is done in the videos. This channel has videos for other games as well so take advantage of the "Search Uploads" field.

YouTube - CrazyOneRA3's Channel - Video walkthroughs by CrazyOneRA3 of YouTube. These are videos where the player goes for the fastest possible time on the PC version, and most of them involve abusing the Rising Sun's nanocores. However, some are not like this and instead have strategies that are more manageable for the average player, so they're worth checking out.

YouTube - razatack1337's Channel - Video walkthroughs by razattack1337 of YouTube. These are of the PC version, but aren't going for record times. Once again, this channel has many other videos so take advantage of the search feature.

WARNING: This trophy does not stack with "Future Leader", so make sure that you complete at least one of the challenges over the par time before completing all 50 challenges.

08.jpg Going Commando (B)

Kill 20 Enemy Commandoes

This trophy is most easily obtained in the optional challenge called The Omega Program. To unlock this challenge, you must complete the following challenges: Blood Feud (main path) -> Creeping Death (optional) -> High Water Mark (optional). Once you can play the challenge, you will need to kill 20 of your opponent's Yuriko clones to unlock the trophy. This is not cumulative, so you must kill 20 in one attempt at the challenge.

I recommend playing as the Soviets as you will start with one Natasha, who easily outranges your opponent's Yuriko clones. You will also be able mass produce Sickles which can easily take out Yuriko clones if they attack in a group, and their Flea Jump ability can also kill the clones easily if the Sickles land on them. So simply build as many Sickles as you can, and let your opponent keep sending Yuriko clones to your base for you to kill until you unlock the trophy. Make sure to leave some Sickles by the ramp that goes down into the water near your base in case the enemy sends a Yuriko clone at you that way, and try to avoid building your structures too close to the water if you can help it.

09.jpg Big Game Hunter (B)

Kill all giant bears in "Number One Threat to America"

As the description states, you can only get this trophy in the optional challenge called Number One Threat to America. To unlock this challenge, you must complete the following challenges: Defense of the Archipelago (main path) -> Crate and Red Barrel (optional) -> Are You Experienced (optional). Once you can play the challenge, you must kill all 25 of the giant bears on the map before defeating your opponent.

The giant bears look like a regular war bear, but much larger than normal. Their color is green on your radar. There are five giant bears swimming around in the lake in the center of the map, and five giant bears along each of the edges of the map. If you wish, you may attack your opponent and leave him with no way to produce more units before going after the giant bears, but it may help you to kill some before attacking as each giant bear will give a large veterancy bonus to the unit that kills it which will give you a large advantage when attacking your opponent's base.

Edited by mjc0961
new forum cleanup

10.jpg Killed A Ton (B)

Kill 20 Desolator Troopers

This trophy is most easily obtained in the optional challenge called Kill-A-Ton. To unlock this challenge, you must complete the following challenges: Symphony of Steel (main path) -> Dirty Tricks (optional). Once you can play the challenge, you will need to kill 20 of your opponent's Desolators to unlock the trophy. This is not cumulative, so you must kill 20 in one attempt at the challenge.

Play as whichever faction you feel comfortable with, and hit your opponent's base as soon as you can to cripple it. Make sure you have some anti-air at your base while you do this in case the opponent sends a Kirov your way. When you reach your opponent's base, try to take out his Construction Yard, War Factory, and Airfield. However, be sure you leave the Ore Refineries, Battle Lab, Super Reactor, and Barracks alone. With a Barracks as the only remaining unit producing structure, your opponent will be stuck with infantry as its only attack units, and will mostly train Flak Troopers and Desolators. From that point, keep killing the Desolators until the trophy unlocks.

11.jpg Recycler (B)

Kill 20 Steel Ronin

This trophy is most easily obtained in the main path challenge called Symphony of Steel. Once you can play the challenge, you will need to kill 20 of your opponent's Steel Ronin to unlock the trophy. This is not cumulative, so you must kill 20 in one attempt at the challenge.

I recommend playing as the Rising Sun so you can take advantage of their lack of a build radius. Build and deploy multiple Defender-VX towers near the entrance to the area your base is located. For extra support, train some Tankbusters and garrison them in the two builds on either side of the entrance. Soon enough, your opponent will send small groups of Steel Ronin and Archer Maidens to attack your base. However, to get in, they will have to get through your defenses which they should not be able to do. Keep repairing your Defender-VX towers and building more where needed, and let the opponent send their units to get slaughtered until the trophy unlocks. NOTE: Be sure to leave at least one gap in your defenses to allow enemy units to pass through. If you completely block off the entrance, enemy units will stop coming.

Edited by mjc0961
new forum cleanup

Well, there we go. I'll let it sit a few days for input and whatnot before heading over to the submit section. Plus, I have to wait for the secret trophies to be added so I have them listed in the correct order.

Also, my apologies to mendel and Peisco: I accidentally lied to you guys about the road map. I said I didn't need any steps, but after I remembered about the tutorial trophy, so that makes a step, and then I figured making two steps after helps avoid that nasty glitch. Which reminds me, glitch confirmation: A Word of Warning - Xbox360Achievements.org

Yes, it's the 360 version, but I'll be damned if I'm going to test it on the PS3. If it is here which is extremely likely, I don't want to have to play it all again for Victor and Future Leader.

Alright, enough yapping from me. Enjoy the guide!

MJC you seem to play alot of games i play... I was going to do a trophy guide for this but ater the sonic unleashed one iwas fed up:P
I really just got lucky in that nobody else around here seemed to play this game, so I got to slide in and make this. ;)

Anyway I guess since there's no feedback right now (did anyone else besides you, dougatt, and myself buy this game?), I'll submit it.

I think 10 hours is actually a bit of an overestimation, to be honest. If you're really good at the game and know exactly what to do in each mission, each mission's par time is usually under 10 minutes, so if you nearly all of them under par the first time you play, you could probably get all the trophies in 2-5 hours. I didn't put that in the map though, because I didn't want people to get the false impression that they could download this with no prior knowledge of Red Alert 3 and get a quick set of trophies.

I think 10 hours is actually a bit of an overestimation, to be honest. If you're really good at the game and know exactly what to do in each mission, each mission's par time is usually under 10 minutes, so if you nearly all of them under par the first time you play, you could probably get all the trophies in 2-5 hours. I didn't put that in the map though, because I didn't want people to get the false impression that they could download this with no prior knowledge of Red Alert 3 and get a quick set of trophies.

I can do that easy i own a copy of RA3 on ps3 and PC + I also own uprising on pc so i can do it in that time. That is IF i get back to playing it lol.

Yeah, I figured. But I didn't want to put out a false sense of "quick trophies", because if you haven't played Red Alert 3 before, you're not getting it that fast at all. In fact, maybe 30 hours for the high end is an underestimation. If you don't know all the old RA3 units, this game will probably kick your ass all over the place and then laugh at you as you lay there bleeding on the floor.

My problem is that I find the game boring. I could have all the trophies by now, but man, it gets boring just having match after match of "kill the other guy(s)." It's lacking the variety of the campaign mode from RA3 and other Red Alert games. I'm not too motivated to finish it right away, but the only trophies I have left are "beat the missions" which I obviously don't need to have to say "Okay go here for strategies" in the guide. Otherwise I would have to be ashamed of myself as the former guide mogul for doing a guide before getting them all. :p

• 1 year later...
Thank you sir! :cool: But yeah, not many people picked this game up. Ah well.

Great guide mjc. I just started playing yesterday and I'm not sure if its not having a co-commander but this games pretty hard and IMO it's harder then C&C RA3 UE. I'm saving looking at vids untill I finish it myself which will take some time.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

soo maybe i missed something but no strategies on how to actually beat any of the missions? no offense but this guide is a complete waste of time. i already know what each trophy requirement is, it says what i have to do under my trophys.

edit nevermind, i missed the 4 links you posted to other peoples tips to beat the missions

Edited by melodicmizery

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the guide mjc, especially the info about the glitched trophies. I would have been really pissed had I not known to leave a challenge over par and had to play them all again.

Played them on PC years ago so it was quite a blast from the past but it's a lot more difficult with a controller :(

• 4 weeks later...
I agree this game is alot harder, I played C&C 1 for PS1.

Generals and C&C 3 Tiberium Wars/Kanes Wrath on PC they are not as hard as this Commanders Challenge.

Yep, this is pretty hard stuff. It's too bad they didn't include the campaign missions that the PC got, those were hard too.

• 10 months later...