Record of Agarest War ZERO

Harder than Disgaea 4?

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone tried to compare this platinum to one in Disgaea 4.

That one is nigh impossible because of random numbers involved. When you have to reload the save for 10 hours straight to get a single item you want(out of several dozen extremely rare items needed for plat), it's insane. If you are grinding levels to beat high-level enemies(which is, according to the difficulty thread, the hardest part) at least you're making some progress, and if you take a rest, you can always come back and overcome the obstacle by just investing more time.

Still, Agarest Zero is ranked 8.5 and D4 7.5

So I wanted to know, what's especially hard about this game? Does the grind involve random elements making it hardly bearable, or something? Some very rare monsters to catch? Or maybe sequences of extremely hard battles that last several hours and if you lose you have to start from the very beginning?

I want to play another SRPG, but I'm a bit afraid of hard challenges on my patience.

Investing hours on the other hand is not a problem, if they are spent playing the game and not just reloading the saves.

I'm really not the most qualified to answer this question, so I'll heavily qualify my answer. I have completely finished the first Agarest and am two trophies away from the platinum. I am well over halfway done with the main story in this, but not even close to completely done, not to mention the Boundary Plane (I guess you could call that the post-game), and I'm planning on starting a New Game + when I go for platinum. I also have Disgaea 4, but it's the first Disgaea game I've played, and I've barely played it at that. I just beat Axel Warden at the very beginning, so I know nothing of how hard that platinum is.

All that out of the way, from what I do know, I would say this game is harder than Disgaea to platinum, but much less of a grind, if what you say is true, and mostly real gameplay. I don't think there really ever is any reason you need to reload saves in this game, unless you just mess up. In the first one, the extent to which it was a grind was that some titles (which are like in-game trophies, except they also give you bonuses within the game, such as items, and there are almost 150 of them) require you to kill a certain number of a certain monster, so you just enter that level and kill it several times, but none of those were too ridiculous. Agarest Zero's trophies seem very similar to the first, and the gameplay is nearly identical (meaning the mechanics of how the game works, not like they just remade the first one), so I would seriously doubt that there's an extreme amount of grinding involved, let alone save-load redundancy like you mentioned. While it sounds like Disgaea 4 is a pain in the ass to platinum, it isn't physically that difficult compared to Agarest Zero, but Agarest Zero is significantly less of a grind.

Edit: I forgot to add that I don't know why you would want to start with this game. If you want the newest, Agarest 2 is already out, and if you want the original, you should start with the first one. Although I guess you might say you want to start here since it's a prequel.

Edited by Stacheldraht

The 2nd one isn't yet out in Europe, and the original doesn't have trophies, so I figured as Zero is a prequel I could start with it and then continue to the trophy-less one if I happen to like the gameplay and the setting a lot.

The 2nd one isn't yet out in Europe, and the original doesn't have trophies, so I figured as Zero is a prequel I could start with it and then continue to the trophy-less one if I happen to like the gameplay and the setting a lot.

The 1st Record of Agarest War game has trophies in America only and is only a PSN Store title(also available on Xbox 360 for retail with an awesome limited edition) which would mean you would have to make an American PSN account on your European PS3 and obtain an American PSN Store card to buy it and earn the trophies and if you want the DLC for it which does help to get the platinum a little easier.

But I do agree it never hurts to go with the prequel 1st.

• 2 weeks later...
Or you could play he 2"1st one without trophies to get your clear save to make Zeros platinum easier

Record of Agarest War Zero is the 2nd game in the series and also a prequel game to the 1st game. Record of Agarest War 2 is the 3rd game and Record of Agarest War Marriage is the 4th(even though that's for PSP so that doesn't count for much of anything.

Record of Agarest War games are made a little easier if you keep your save files and also download the DLC.

Record of Agarest War Zero is the 2nd game in the series and also a prequel game to the 1st game. Record of Agarest War 2 is the 3rd game and Record of Agarest War Marriage is the 4th(even though that's for PSP so that doesn't count for much of anything.

Record of Agarest War games are made a little easier if you keep your save files and also download the DLC.

I'm aware of this. Lol. I'm currently working on this one with a clear save from Agarest War. I was saying to the OP that he could play he first one to get a clear save to make it easier for Zero's platinum. Lol.