What order should R&C be played in?

MHST_Guy

Good question! Personally, my favorites are the single player PS2 ones. I'd start going through the HD trilogy in order, if you can stomach the lower graphical quality. I'd then do the two PSN games and leave the (IMO) inferior multiplayer only All 4 One for last.

All 4 One is the only R&C game I haven't finished in a single run and had to return to sporadically over a period of many months, to finish a level or two before losing interest.

Edit: I don't think there is any real requirement for game order for story's sake, other than the very first one obviously introducing the characters and laying out their chemistry.

Edited by ars

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going to be playing them through, try doing it chronologically. It's not really necessary but there are some elements that carry over. Only small stuff if I remember correctly(haven't played through in a while, restarted the series last night). But make sure if you play the first one and are having doubts on it to try the second one first, the game mechanics are much better in that one and up. I found it incredibly difficult going back to the first one after playing the others.

• 1 month later...

like Ryan says the gameplay mechanics are very different in each game. i'd play R&C1 first. once you finish that up...damn (S)Bolt Collector...you'll definitely appreciate the changes in the next games. but is it just me or do the visuals look slightly better in R&C1 than 2? anyway the gameplay is a much smoother experience in the next games. i'd go with R&C1 cause its how the whole franchise started and its fun. :applause:

• 3 months later...
It goes the HD trilogy games in order, gladiator.

Then it goes R&C 'Future' which starts with Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty, A Crack in Time, All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault and i believe Nexus is the end.

I know im missing a couple of games. So someone else please add them

Missing games added.

Also, between the first 3 games, some stuff carries over. It is advisable (but not necessary) to play them in the order of release.

Edited by dcdfan

I bought R&C HD, All 4 One, Up your Aresenal, and Going Commando. Should I play them chronologically, or is there a better order?

I'm doing Going Commando right now...having just finished the first R&C. In Going Commando...there is a skill point/trophy called Old Skool where you have to kill all the enemies on a planet with the weapons from R&C. Since I just played the first one...I was able to get these weapons for free since I had a save file from that game. If you didn't have that file...you would have to purchase them. And since there are a few big money items to buy...I would suggest playing them in chronological order...that is unless you like grinding for bolts.

Edit: my bad...just noticed that the OP posted this a few months back...he's likely already finished with this. Why can't the date of the original post be listed next to the thread creator when you click on New Posts or Today's Posts? I know the forum at PSNTrophies lists the original date. I've replied to a few old threads...thinking they were new threads when I saw a new post.

Edited by sum1_worsethan_u