Am I the only one that finds this game frustrating?

Knight21

I play a lot of platformers (and games from many other genres) and I die noticeably more often in this game than any other 3D platformer I've played, including even Jak 2, which a lot of people find that game infuriating.

It mainly started with planet gasper where you try to kill those hovering bombs but they just encircle you, complicating your aiming, and killing them with the wrench is a no no as they explode on you.

Then the resort island planet, whatever that is called, with those red jumping spiked animals require a lot of ammo to kill as they are abundant and while using the wrench works, it doesn't help when many others jump on you and you'll end up dying anyway.

I am asking, am I the only one with these gripes? Everyone says this game is so fun, but I wish I am having the same as everyone else but I am not...

I play a lot of platformers (and games from many other genres) and I die noticeably more often in this game than any other 3D platformer I've played, including even Jak 2, which a lot of people find that game infuriating.

It mainly started with planet gasper where you try to kill those hovering bombs but they just encircle you, complicating your aiming, and killing them with the wrench is a no no as they explode on you.

Then the resort island planet, whatever that is called, with those red jumping spiked animals require a lot of ammo to kill as they are abundant and while using the wrench works, it doesn't help when many others jump on you and you'll end up dying anyway.

I am asking, am I the only one with these gripes? Everyone says this game is so fun, but I wish I am having the same as everyone else but I am not...

I found this game incredibly frustrating as well. So I had had it up to here and as soon as I unlocked the ability to buy health upgrades, I did so. And I also glitched to buy even more orbs. Game became slightly more tolerable.

Not at all. I actually beat this game 5 times because i didn't know about the bolts glitch...

Those spiked animals are the blowfish right? If so, use the vacuum weapon on them. Works wonders. You can suck em up in a matter of seconds and use them as ammo on eachother :)

This is my least favorite Ratchet game (and I own them all. Despite owning them, I'm excluding A4O and FFA from this because those are disgraces to the Ratchet games) mainly because there is no strafing. It caused pointless frustration and the lack of bolts to buy weapons with is also another big issue with R&C 1.

R&C 2 is a vast improvement, and R&C 3 goes that step further and allows you to buy ammo for your weapons all at once. One tap of the :cross: button and you're refilled and ready to go.

Not that I didn't have fun with this game, I just found the sequals better.

This game almost made me hate Ratchet & Clank (I had played all PS3 R&C games multiple times, but never the PS2 games) for the following reasons (to name a few):

• Lack of staffing
  • Inability to pause the game with the quick select menu
  • Ratchet becoming immobile when he throws the wrench
  • Hit detection issues
  • Poor Slingshot mechanic (especially on Oltanis)
  • Enemies attacking from unseen corners of an area as you enter
  • Poor camera angles
  • Sparse checkpoints and ammo crates
  • Not regaining ammo back you used before failing a checkpoint

I actually decided to give up on this game when I reached Drek's Fleet; that is, until the easy bolt glitch location was discovered. That enabled me to buy the ultra nanotech upgrade, the RYNO, and Tesla Claw (I hadn't been able to get the latter because I couldn't bank enough bolts, having to spend so much replenishing ammo every time I failed checkpoint). After that I breezed through the game and finally got the plat.

R&C 2 is WAY, WAY better, though I can't believe R&C1 was ever considered good enough and popular enough to warrant a sequel.

• Poor camera angles

Remember this is an old game. Sparse checkpoints were the norm back in 2001, and so was unforgiving death penalties such as no ammo regain. It was also the beginning of the 3D platforming era, so bad camera angels are acceptable.

Your other points are valid though.

when i was 10 i was frustrated as HELL with this game! i understand your anger;) but when you're on Pokitaru(the island resort) use the SUCK CANNON!

your anger will disappear, plus later on the suck cannon can save hours (final boss)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the feeling. I've gone back to this game and can literally only play a bit at a time. The knowledge that the others are much improved and wanting to see the roots of the series keep me going through this but I know I won't even be aiming for trophies!

This game almost made me hate Ratchet & Clank (I had played all PS3 R&C games multiple times, but never the PS2 games) for the following reasons (to name a few):

• Lack of staffing
  • Inability to pause the game with the quick select menu
  • Ratchet becoming immobile when he throws the wrench
  • Hit detection issues
  • Poor Slingshot mechanic (especially on Oltanis)
  • Enemies attacking from unseen corners of an area as you enter
  • Poor camera angles

Every time I go back to play older games I expect to find this type of problems since bad to non-existent check points and bad camera angles were normal. I find this issues bothersome but not enough to make the experience frustrating or make me hate the game.

I actually decided to give up on this game when I reached Drek's Fleet; that is, until the easy bolt glitch location was discovered. That enabled me to buy the ultra nanotech upgrade, the RYNO, and Tesla Claw (I hadn't been able to get the latter because I couldn't bank enough bolts, having to spend so much replenishing ammo every time I failed checkpoint). After that I breezed through the game and finally got the plat.

R&C 2 is WAY, WAY better, though I can't believe R&C1 was ever considered good enough and popular enough to warrant a sequel.

I think you are rushing the game, by the time I got to Drek's Fleet I had bought every upgrade and weapon from the Gadgetron vendor and I only needed 50,000 more bolts for the R.Y.N.O. I just started playthrough 2 a few hours ago and all I need is 10,000 bolts for the R.Y.N.O.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this game frustrating and annoying back in 2002 (always hated it compared to 2 and 3) and even now, I despise some aspects of it for the following reasons:

- overall cumbersome movement

- lack of strafing

- poor lock-on

- lack of health (only until later on when you can purchase)

- poor checkpoints (at times you're sent back to the start)

- lack of bolts to buy weapons (mainly the RYNO)

With that being said, it is still possible to finish the game and I haven't died too many times. Everything else about the game is enjoyable and was to a high standard back then. It is still a timeless classic today but they made a huge jump in improvement with #2 and then #3.

I thought this game was a nice change of pace when I started playing (didn't do much gaming back when I had a PS2 so I missed great games like this). It's old school, so I didn't expect the game to virtually hand me freebies or easy checkpoints. The concept of pressing :circle: to shoot or pressing :triangle: to back out of menus felt odd, but I don't think there was a point in the game where I was frustrated at all. If I failed, it always felt like my fault, or something I could easily correct when I tried again.

It's a very fun game with a little challenge thrown in here and there. I'm just glad I got to play the game, even if I'm a generation late.

The health issues in this game just require you to take it a little slower than the other games in the series, or at least in my experience. It is a harder game, partially because of no strafing, but it's still doable. It's not the hardest game you'll ever play, but it was a beginning, and it's still a really awesome game; a great 3-D platformer with good, fun combat throughout and diverse, funny, interesting, and useful weapons.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this game, I have to agree with some of the gripes. The sparse checkpoints are ridiculously stupid. Especially considering the enemies respawn even though you lose your ammo. Also, the camera can be dumb at times.

I think one of the worst aspects, though, is the lack of depth perception in the game. Sometimes it's impossible to tell how far you are from something during a leap due to the weird camera angle.

One thing I do like about the game, though, is that enemies don't take many hits to kill, even on Challenge Mode. I hate games that make you sit there and just pump out tons of ammo into an enemy. No fun.

I think one of the worst aspects, though, is the lack of depth perception in the game. Sometimes it's impossible to tell how far you are from something during a leap due to the weird camera angle.

Totally agree with this, happened a lot of times where I got hit by something when I thought I wasn't near enough or the other way around... very strange =/

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...