Ace bunyan race on Vita

okay I did not know this can get this hard. I don't recall it was this hard on PS3.

So I have been trying a couple hours and still can't beat the second race.

Only if they changed one of two things:

make the drifting/turning less sensitive

or

give me a damn up/down reverse control..

Any tips?? except for practice.. I got close as missing only 1 ring.

Edit: Ok. I finally did it. One of the tips i can provide is you should change the camera sensitivity to low somehow that makes it a little easy for me.

Edited by YokA_sun

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, the Ace Bunyan races are probably going to be platinum blockers for me on Vita (and I've platted every single other R & C game that exists, and been playing these games for over 10 years). Thinking about buying some grips or something for the analog sticks to hopefully help with their ridiculous sensitivity.

• 3 weeks later...

The sensitivity of the analog stick is very frustrating going for that platinum bolt; it took me several hours (yes hours) to finally get a clean run. It was much, much easier on PS3.

With that said, towards the end of my marathon's worth of attempts I was having better-control-success with pressing the square (accelerate) button as soon as the next ring was lined up.

For example, you are heading towards the next ring and start swinging to the left. Well, without the accelerate I would frequently overshoot too far to the left. However, if I accelerated just as my reticule would pass over that ring it seemed to considerably help in preventing my overshooting. And to clarify, just tap the accelerate; just enough to correct your line.

I realize this is pretty minor detail, but it sure seemed to help me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the first time I have regretted choosing the Vita version over a PS3 version of a game. These races and not being able to properly strafe using the touch controls has made this experience unenjoyable.

EDIT: I need to read up on the device, but has anyone considered (or resorted to) using the Playstation TV to finish these races? I can see the PS3 sixaxis taking these turns much smoother and at $100 it is a steep price for a trophy/plat but I might use it in the future for other Vita games, etc.

Edited by pennysticks
Vita TV question

• 3 weeks later...

The races on vita makes you crazy.

I won them all 2 days ago. (the 3. race is a joke).

I have no tips other than boost at the beginning (left ace behind) and keep trying and keep trying .... until the perfect run.

It is not really up to you or your skills, it is up to vita. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The races on vita makes you crazy.

I won them all 2 days ago. (the 3. race is a joke).

I have no tips other than boost at the beginning (left ace behind) and keep trying and keep trying .... until the perfect run.

It is not really up to you or your skills, it is up to vita. :mad:

Finally done this, initially extremely frustrating but once you get the hang of the finicky controls it becomes very doable.

It is definitely encouraging to see others complete it, thank you for posting in here! I also found out R&C 2 is NOT compatible with the Playstation TV, so that is not an option. I will attack this soon and I will succeed!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't blame the vita, it's the coding of the ship that is fucked up on the vita version, there is nothing wrong with the vita sticks. Porting developers are guilty, not the cute little thing you hold dearly between your hands.

By the way, people managed to play RnC 2 using the homebrew of the PS TV (not gonna link it because I think that is illegal? but google is your friend), races are equally bad using the DS3 on the HB PS TV.

Wow. Just wow. This is unbearable, god-awful! I struggled pretty bad on the PS3 with this shit but eventually got it. I might have to give up on the Vita version though because it's looking pretty goddamn impossible for me to beat. Kudos to those that have achieved this, no idea how the fk you did! But unfortunately I might just have to walk away from this one...unless someone has some miracle tip??? Nah, didn't think so.

Yuri I'd love to know where you got that info from in regards to it having nothing to do with the Vita and everything to do with the coding??? So the Vita's not to blame huh? Whatsoever? Yeah, okay. Sorry but I just don't buy it. The Vita is horrible and makes EVERY game ya play on it so much harder than it needs to be. According to all that I've read about that Homebrew thing, Sony patched it. Besides, if it plays just as badly what was the point of even bringing it up?

*EDIT* So I figured I'd try the Homebrew thing because according to all I've read if the firmware on your PS TV is 3.52 or lower (which mine is) the hack will still work. Followed all the instructions to a "T" and for some reason 2 of the 3 games I tried didn't work, which are The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season retail version and The Wolf Among Us, also retail version. My retail version of The Sly Cooper Collection, however, DID work. I've been doing some digging on the Net and discovered that other people can verify that the R & C Trilogy WILL work. I can't verify this myself because unfortunately I don't have the game downloaded on my PS TV and can't access PSN because a Firmware update is required. If I update to the latest version the hack will no longer be running, making it so I cant bypass the black-list. Looks like I'll have to import an expensive copy from Europe unless I can find a way around downloading a game without being current on the Firmware.

Oh, and just an F.Y.I. to anyone interested: Not all games will work with this hack. I don't know how to include links so search the following: "How to get Netflix (and more!) working on the PlayStation TV" by lazygamer.net. Not only does it give you the instructions on how to do the hack, it also gives a list of games that were once black-listed but are now playable once the hack is performed successfully.

Edited by TacoNinja

• 5 months later...

*EDIT* So I figured I'd try the Homebrew thing because according to all I've read if the firmware on your PS TV is 3.52 or lower (which mine is) the hack will still work. Followed all the instructions to a "T" and for some reason 2 of the 3 games I tried didn't work, which are The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season retail version and The Wolf Among Us, also retail version. My retail version of The Sly Cooper Collection, however, DID work. I've been doing some digging on the Net and discovered that other people can verify that the R & C Trilogy WILL work. I can't verify this myself because unfortunately I don't have the game downloaded on my PS TV and can't access PSN because a Firmware update is required. If I update to the latest version the hack will no longer be running, making it so I cant bypass the black-list. Looks like I'll have to import an expensive copy from Europe unless I can find a way around downloading a game without being current on the Firmware.

This is extremely helpful to me. My version of R&C 2 Vita is a download, not disc - I thought you simply put the vita memory card in the PS TV and work it from there. Either way it looks like I would be locked out of ever getting the game to work if I bought a PS TV (on sale at Gamestop right now with DS3 and Lego Movie game for $57) and tried to email myself that "homebrew" as this machine (the PS TV) is considered to be all but discontinued buying it for one trophy which I wouldn't be bale to get would be a fools errand.

Haven't tried these races in a few months but I was hoping this homebrew was going to be a frustration saver. oh well, back to trying to get my muscle memory on these tiny little sticks to steer this thing through a million little rings once again

• 5 months later...

Of course there were so many Ratchet players suffered like me on the Vita version.

I spent 3 hours on this crap race. Not only you need pass all 50 rings but also beat the hell opponent.

I have a "joystick" which could make you hold Vita much more comfortlaby but it surely won't change at all the sensitive left stick. You need remember exactly which angle you need to pass each ring and also boost at the begnning to surpass your opponent. Which parts you could screw your attempt? I think it'll be the 3rd time you're in outerspace then you go into the base. After the base part, just calm down and fly carefully.

I felt my heart almost jumping out of my throat and my heartbeat was that fast before getting the damn platinum bolt. Now i can move to next planet and wish there won't be any problem for me to platinum this poored port.

• 6 years later...

So, if you're struggling with the Ring Challenges on PlayStation Vita, here's what I recommend doing:

1: Go into Settings and set Camera Movement Speed to Slow.

2: Practice. A LOT. If you're getting frustrated, take a break and come back to it when you're ready.

3: Use the PS2 or PS3 Versions as reference and try to replicate it on Vita.

4: Make sure your ship's crosshairs are lined up with the rings, because it determines the direction(s) your ship moves in.

5: Keep Ace Bunyan as far away from you as possible, so he doesn't distract you.

Good luck.