Any tips for Ace Bunyon bolt race?

I've been struggeling beating Ace Bunyon races to acquire any bolt.

It's the only thing I have left in this game (and upgrade weapons).

I've tried to change some settings to slow camera but no idea if it actually makes a difference.

I know I have to boost early so I can concentrate on normal speed at the tricky parts.

Anything that I should know that should help?

Any tips welcome!

There's not that much more to say. Boost long on any long clear stretch, e.g. at the beginning of the first of these races. Even if you depleted your boost you can continue to fire short bursts of boost, so use those as often as possible too, e.g. in the race mentioned before inside the asteroids.

And of course memorization of the ring placement and practice...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've spent almost all morning to beat the time limits in races and now this crap, why the f do I have to play some crappy minigames totally unrelated to the main game style is beyond me, moverover with trophies attached to them. If I want to play a race game or a shooter game I'd buy one, I don't buy platform/action games expecting to do races.

• 1 month later...
I'm doing the second race in Hrugis Cloud and it's even more infuriating than the first one. This f'in ship is f'in uncontrollable and isn't even possible to regulate the camera sensitivity. Didn't expect to get so frustrated with this game, hope the series don't get worse in the next episodes.

yeah, who the fuck gave this a 3.5 difficulty? these stupid ring races SUCK ASS, with zero sensitivity control and a ship that sort of randomly speeds up just when you need the most control. totally pisses me off...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by these stupid races. Yeah platinum difficulty deserve way more than 3. I'd say about 7 just because of the bulion ring races. Classic races were not particularly good but the ring races with the ship, they are crap. Insanely hard and frustrating, mostly due to the fkin' inverted controls.

This ruined the game.

• 7 months later...

first of all, he should be called ace butt-hole, instead of ace bunyon...

i'm still struggling to finish hrugis cloud (missed by ONE! DAMMIT), but i've learned a couple of things that might help someone. i know, this game is a thousand years old, but, hey, I'M still working on it, so maybe someone else is too...

some tips for anyone just starting these crap races:

1) use the initial boost trick to ditch ace early on. (there's a ton of info on this, so...) if you hear him laughing as you are racing later on AND you didn't miss any rings, you didn't boost long enough initially, so try adding another ring until you never hear him. if you do miss rings (but maybe continue the race to memorize the course, for example) he will catch back up to you at some point, even if you boosted far enough initially.

2) flight "controls" ARE invertable (at least they are on the ps3). do this under the options/camera settings.

2.5) you can also adjust the camera rotation speed (turn speed). i haven't used this, but i think it might help me for hrugis cloud so i'm gonna knock it up a notch to medium. BAM!

3) whenever possible, try to move left-right rather than up-down. i found the left-right controls to be far more 'responsive' and recoverable compared to up-down for some reason. left-right seems to fly like a spaceship, while up-down feels like a plane. go figure...

4) move up-down OR left-right. NOT both at the same time. if you do you'll just go flying off in some random-ass direction...

5) tap, tap, tap, tap. this thing is a space ship. so you are essentially controlling it with rcs thrusters. the trick is to just tap the controller a little bit until your nose is in the right direction (which totally sucks balls on the six axis stick).

6) crash! or don't crash! if you screw up and "restart challenge" a hundred billion times like i did, you will start to notice patterns. the rings will gradually get "thicker", and, at some point, they will all be visible from the start of the race (instead of just two), which can be very helpful. so, DON'T crash your ship on purpose and the run will get a little easier at some point... until rings start disappearing and your gunsight disappears, at which point, just crash your ship into something to reset everything.

7) if you need to use the R2/L2 ship rotation maneuver, try to center yourself on the next ring first. otherwise, your controls will be confusing until you are fully rotated, which takes a while sometimes.

8) curse like a sailor's red-headed stepchild on crack. it just seems like the thing to do...

9) if all this fails, just invent a time machine that slows down the game but allows you to move at normal speed. this might take a little time, but in the end it may be faster than doing it legit...

anyway, hope this helps someone get through this awful mess...

[EDIT]: and... got hrugis. i switched the camera from slow to medium for hrugis, which did the trick. i think it helped because that last section is so hard to see that you really need the extra maneuverability to compensate for misses/over-corrections. os glad to be done with this.so so glad. god i wish i had some beer...

Edited by shathe

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, I read through the thread and no one gave these tips. Here we go:

1) Ignore the ship. Only the green reticle exists. This revelation made things SO much easier for me. You're not trying to maneuver a ship, you're just trying to make sure the green reticle goes inside, or even very close to the edge, of the checkpoint circle. The ship is just a prop.

2) Imagine the circles are flying towards you. Ignore the scenery around.

3) Always keep an eye on the next checkpoint. As you're aiming to pass through the circle in front of you be ready to make the move to go into the next one.

4) Learn the locations of all checkpoints. Sounds obvious, but trust me, you might spend a lot of time perfecting the first half of the race, then quit every time you miss a checkpoint in frustration and keep failing the second half when you're doing well because you never bothered to reach the end.:2walls:

5) Forget about Ace. All you need to do in the beginning is boost through the first 7 checkpoints without letting go (make sure you upgrade your ship's boost first) and then fly as slow as you want afterwards. He'll never catch up to you.:nana:

6) This was mentioned before but use gentle taps to correct the reticle. The controls are especially sensitive on the Vita.

Having said this, your worst enemy in this game are the shabby controls, so get used to it and practice. It might take you a LOT of tries (took me about 50 races) but you'll get better and this is not impossible at all.

Now I'm wondering if this will be any easier on PS3 :scared:

PS. On Vita, when you keep using "restart race" sometimes the game glitches and you can see more checkpoints ahead of you than you're supposed to. Use that to your advantage!

But it can also glitch so that the reticle or checkpoints disappear. If this happens, crash into the nearest wall and start the challenge again. Everything should reset.

• Like 1

These races were really frustrating. In the end, I was able to get all the rings by changing the camera speed to fast. The camera moved more when I tried to adjust my aim, but it seemed more consistent.

I don't think changing camera speed does anything for the ship. It's for Ratchet only. I tried all speeds and nothing changed.

Edited by RRDude_PBB

• 6 months later...

Are we all playing the same game? I just finished all three races in like 20 minutes and it was super fun and EASY, too easy even. All I did was boost for like 10 seconds total at the beginning of each race and then the opponent would never even be within reach anymore for the rest of the race. Then I just focused on going through all the rings, using the recticle as a guide to steer through the rings, but also a bit of intuition. Took me maybe three tries max per race :eek: I can't believe they made the opponent as easy as he is, does he ever even boost himself?

Edited by MeteoraXV

Are we all playing the same game? I just finished all three races in like 20 minutes and it was super fun and EASY, too easy even. All I did was boost for like 10 seconds total at the beginning of each race and then the opponent would never even be within reach anymore for the rest of the race. Then I just focused on going through all the rings, using the recticle as a guide to steer through the rings, but also a bit of intuition. Took me maybe three tries max per race :eek: I can't believe they made the opponent as easy as he is, does he ever even boost himself?

I'm not sure if it is specified enough in this thread, but the issue is with the VITA version of the game. The PS3 version is much easier - the issue is the small joysticks on the VITA and maneuverability of the controls through the rings.

If you were able to complete each of the Ace Bunyon races that award you a Bolt on the Vita without difficulty, please let us know.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a really difficult task on the Vita, I’m sure storming the Reichstag on Veteran in COD WAW was easier!

I can see this stupid race stopping me from getting the platinum.

*edit* Now done! Best tip is to use small taps/flicks to change the ships direction. The first rings before the tunnel can be done in one hit with the turbo on, if you can do this you’ll have enough of a lead to stay in front of Ace.

Edited by Xorro

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this. Not sure about the vita, but for PS2/3: Use a monitor/tv without delay. 

If you have trouble and see a lot of people find it easy, that's why.

Edited by Stepcore

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I feel like I found the place for my frustration. I'm actually considering abandoning this plat, just because of this last trophy.

The controls feel very finicky, and one small mistake costs you the entire race and platinum bolt. I read all your tips, which I presume would definitely work on ps3, but the Vita is annoying af in this trilogy. I remember how long it took me to do the Twisty McMarx trophy in the first game, this is worse.

Any encouragement would be appreciated.