Old School Skill Point Glitch Fix

okay after getting several confirms on both youtube and this site i think it's best if i just made a thread for the sake of ease. some of you may have experienced an odd glitch where the old school skill-point will not unlock after killing all the enemies with gadgetron weps even after several times (8 in my case :p). unlike what some speculate this has nothing to do with the choice of weapons OR the two self detonating guard robots near the slingshot path and there is an easy fix for this.

when you are experiencing this glitch in your game go to any other planet, save there then completely switch off your console. switch it back on, return to the testing facility and try again. that's it.

oldest trick in the book really but there was some confusion about what caused this. i finished the trilogy myself a while back but in case you are still reading this same easy to do trick applies to many disturbances in the R&C trilogy.

give it a try and let us know here okay? your input helps people!

Edited by SIE

I'm sure. It's odd that it's fiddly though because I played through this 5-6 times on PS2 when I was younger and never encountered a problem with this skill point, but I tried about the same amount of times on here and never got it until I basically killed everyone outside with the Visibomb.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This worked for me!! Thanks so much for posting this. I went through the level very carefully 4 times and I was getting so frustrated. I tried the go to another planet, save, shut down, reboot, go back to Dobbo and I did the level the exact same way as I've done it before and it worked!

• 3 months later...

Not working for me.

I avoid using wrench too but still no luck.

Now I'll try killing every enemy by myself, avoiding enemy killed by friendly fire or water.

EDIT: Done this way

1) Setup: save on other planet, switch off PS3, switch on, go to planet Dobbo

2) Used only Visibomb

3) Enemies not killed by friendly fire

4) Enemies killed by visibomb or by visibomb + falling into water (3 in my case)

5) Wrench not showed a single time

Edited by GaF

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd just chime in that I got this skill point by saving on another planet and quitting the game, after 3 normal failed attempts. No guarantee that was what did it, but it sure seems that way.

For what it's worth, I knocked some enemies into the water by accident (with old guns), accidentally killed 6 of the chicken bots in the downstairs area by the explosion from a nanotech level up, and still got the skill point.

• 2 months later...

I completed the level and didn't get the skill point, so I thought I'd go through the whole thing again in case I missed an enemy and low and behold there was one of those floating black and green spike ball things that I missed. I was kinda hiding behind one of the pillars in the factory(or whatever it's called). So make sure you run through the level again before turning your system off.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Would I still get the skill point if I upgraded the weapons? There seems to be different contrasting answers to this question.

EDIT: To answer my own question, yes. If you upgrade your weapons, you still get the skill point.

Edited by OwenRocky

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing everyone!

when you are experiencing this glitch in your game go to any other planet, save there then completely switch off your console. switch it back on, return to the testing facility and try again. that's it.
This worked like a charm. I've never had a problem with this skill point on PS2 but couldn't understand why it didn't unlock in the remaster. I'm glad someone found a workaround. ;)

• 1 month later...

After 3-4 times not working i've decided to look on the web. Googled Ratchet & Clank 2 Old skool glitch and it brought me here lol..

I've done another planet, saved and turned off the ps3, and it worked ;)

Thanks a lot! I was on challenge mode, wearing the tuxedo, using mostly Mega Tesla Claw and Mega Visibomb.. I used the wrench also and some of them dropped in the water :D

okay after getting several confirms on both youtube and this site i think it's best if i just made a thread for the sake of ease. some of you may have experienced an odd glitch where the old school skill-point will not unlock after killing all the enemies with gadgetron weps even after several times (8 in my case :p). unlike what some speculate this has nothing to do with the choice of weapons OR the two self detonating guard robots near the slingshot path and there is an easy fix for this.

oldest trick in the book really but there was some confusion about what caused this. i finished the trilogy myself a while back but in case you are still reading this same easy to do trick applies to many disturbances in the R&C trilogy.

give it a try and let us know here okay? your input helps people!

Followed SIE's advice to the letter and it worked for me after not getting it three times in a row. Leaving and coming back must reset whatever is causing the skill point to not register. I believe I died in between completing the outside areas and before going into the factory (whatever the area is called where you need to use the glider to get through intially) and as far as I could tell no enemies suicided but some may have fallen in the water by getting blasted with R&C 1 weapons. Also, played it on the Vita if anyone needed confirmation for that

• 7 months later...

I got it with this method, while walking through an area I had killed everything a few minutes earlier with the visibomb. I would suggest walking through the level again after killing everything not only to check for missed enemies but in case visibomb kills wouldn't register otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you. Finally got this after getting frustrated and restarting for the third time. To shed some light, I did use my wrench and I did let one of the non-old school weapon "show" itself. I also didn't destroy the turret that lays out those electric traps. For what it's worth, I also didn't use the Tesla Claw and the Walloper.

• 1 month later...