Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3 & Vita)

Worst R&C?

Played the first level and was jut bored out of my head. Didn't feel as if there was any real end goal to work towards. The main enemy was meh. Overall just looked like they were sending out a new game for the sake of it. Why not allow us to keep our guns? Rather than just running around searching for it every level.

And this generator protection thing is annoying as well, reminds me of the "Your hood is under attack" thing from San Andreas. I'm at a node, finishing the last few enemies and they want me to run

Back and protect the camp >_>. Then when you return all the enemies are back at the node.

Edited by Fractal

Perhaps tower defense is just not your cup of tea. I'm not the biggest fan of that type of game, but am enjoying the heck out of this game! The only other tower defense game I've played is PixleJunk Monsters, and really liked it as well.

I agree with you about keeping the weapons, but I can see what Insomiac was trying to do and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as when I moved from the first to the second world and realized I no longer had weapons.

After playing it all the way through I began reading the reviews and comments on various sites. I don't understand why there is so much negativity against this game. It was never supposed to be another platformer. Expecting it to be one is unfair.

Never played the PSP titles. But I definitely have played every other one. Even with thinking of All 4 One, I consider this to be the worst one.

-

It has nothing to do with the new type of gameplay, it's everything else: lack of story, good characters, no consistant bolt count, nothing towards the effect of platforming, and the weapons really aren't outlandish. All of which are staples of the R&C franchise.

-

Each installment in the series introduced new, inventive weapons. The only ones I think of in this game are the Dopplebanger and the Thundersmack.

-

Pretty weak.

• 3 weeks later...

When I started playing I was like "oh fuck, why did I buy this?" Ended up getting pretty into it though!

When compared to the other R&C games I've played (1,2,3 and CiT) yes it is kind of weak, but its not like its really unfun, just lacking in content and length.

Worst part was having to grind out hoverbooting, I just cellotaped R2 and the L3 at a certain angle to keep Ratchet circling lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually liked how it was a tad different from the others, and how it took a different twist on the RTS genre. The only thing that annoyed me was how expensive all the defenses were, especially when you see how little damage they really do. The only worthwhile defenses are the second and third barriers.

As for the worst R&C, I'd say All 4 One still has that title. Having to mash the fire button to overload enemies' weakpoints was a pretty terrible idea.

• 3 weeks later...
It has nothing to do with the new type of gameplay, it's everything else: lack of story, good characters, no consistant bolt count, nothing towards the effect of platforming, and the weapons really aren't outlandish. All of which are staples of the R&C franchise.

-

Each installment in the series introduced new, inventive weapons. The only ones I think of in this game are the Dopplebanger and the Thundersmack

Ah, but you see, it's all about the gameplay. The game doesn't have much story, and the progression is boiled down to only two fronts: weapon levels, which are persistent, and skill point goals (challenges). But it offers a new replayability: the three objectives of the level, which you can complete on independent runs, and the multi-layered time objectives.

It's not primarily a platformer game, but there is platforming. The platforming manifests with a new sense of urgency, swapping care for compromise. You see a bunch of floating platforms you could easily double jump across, but you're in a rush; do you try and skip some by using the speedy hoverboot jump? But it throws off your control, and makes the landing harder to pull off.

Some of the people who will enjoy the game the least are the ones who go out from the base looking to explore as they usually do; no, you go on small expeditions. The base is not just another place on the map you pass through, it's THE place you must return to between trips.

And those bolts you collect have to be put to good, thoughtful use. I hear one of the patches made base defenses better value, but I played recently and had no problems. The weapon pods add to this same purpose- do you try and rush that weapon pod which may improve your ability to defend? Or do you return early and use what you've got? A player should come to the core understanding that, for the most part, there is no real base defence without the player. It's not a platformer with a new money sink element, it's a tower defense with an old exploration element.

Anyway, considering how I quite appreciate this game, I have to say my least favourite R&C would be Quest for Booty. This is not because it was a bad game, I did not regret buying it in any way. But it was short lived and there was no replay value, so it can't possibly be better than the other R&C's I've played which had all that it had but much more also. In fair consideration, it was a lot cheaper. But, in the knowledge of being fair, one mustn't forget that THIS game was cheaper too. And this game was a lot better value than Quest for Booty.

p.s. I haven't played All 4 One yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's between this and All 4 One for me. I think it may rank higher than A4O IMO but just above it and at the back. It just wasn't like the first 3 or A Crack in Time.

A4O is better for me. It just felt fun.

FFA has it's moments, but it's pretty tedious. A4O was never tedious, aside from some glitches (had more than FFA from my experience)

I don't know if it's fair to compare FFA to the rest of the R&C compendium. I think all things considered, it is a nice little diversion/title/spinoff and its price point reflects that.

I don't see myself getting 100s of hours of replayability out of it -multiplayer included- because the depth of gameplay isn't there, but for 20 bucks I can't really complain. Of course, the fact that it came with Cross-Buy and Deadlocked HD didn't hurt, either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I do think its the worst R&C which sucks because I am also playing through Sly 3 which is without a doubt the worst Sly game. I don't hate tower defense games but this game definitely makes me hate it but mostly because of idiotic design decisions. My sister got this game for me for Christmas so I will at least beat it once but I don't think I am going to waste my time with going for platinum.

• 1 month later...
Nah Secret Agent Clank is the worse. This game is actually pretty fun but its very different to other R and C games and also very short. I personally didnt think A4O was that bad but its still 2nd worse to secret agent clank.

Secret Agent Clank is so bad that it should be stricken from franchise canon. :pout:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's hard to choose between FFA and Quest for Booty,but i still think Quest for Booty was the worst R&C game.

I remember this one section in Quest for Booty where you had to defend a beach from some random enemies that just kept on coming and the screen was covered in green dust(i think there were a couple of these sections.),and when the endless waves of enemies kept coming i got a huge headache,and i think that's a good mark that tells you that the game is awful and you need to do something else.