Trouble with the game after latest patch?

Okay so based on a cursory look at the forum this isn't an issue but...

I recently picked up A Crack in Time from Gamestop and started playing it. After the first level and the video that follows it the screen goes black and then my PS3 struggles to get the disc to move on to the next event (you can here it revving up).

I've had issues with patches in other games where one of them actually breaks the story mode (Uncharted 2 for example is impossible to complete thanks to one of the patches, luckily you can just delete the patch but that means you have to download close to 200 MB later which can be a pain depending on how bad your internet is), and I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't the case before I take it back.

I'm pretty sure its the disc (no scratches and no visible damage by looking at the bottome, but the edge clearly shows some kind of warping going on), but I just want to make sure, especially since this would mean having to wait until tomorrow to get back to playing the game.

Luckily I got it from gamestop (less than 7 days ago), so I should have no issue returning it, if it is indeed the disc.