Opinion: Best Way to Complete?

escoletsgo69

Hey everyone. I was wondering what would be the best way to complete the two DLC trophies? IMO, trying for a mostly stealth, no kill playthrough would be the way to go. However, I am still waiting for the game and did not play 2033. Does anyone with more experience have an idea on this? Would it be better to make this your kill playthrough? I plan on going for these on my 2nd playthrough (either stealth or guns blazing/kills). Thanks.

If you haven't played 2033 then I do not recommend going straight into the DLC as it's massively more difficult that the other difficulties. I would save the DLC for your second or third playthrough but go down the stealth route as ammo is extremely scare and the A.I more aggressive so going in Rambo style will get you killed.

Is this ranger mode just an extra hard mode, or is it like 2033. I remember in 2033 you died in only a few hits, but so did your enemies. For me it was a challenge, bit not impossiblem. I used stealth as much as possible and got it done. I haven't started ranger yet cause the codes didn't work at first. I'll be trying it soon.

Ranger Mode is designed as an Uber Hard mode as you have less ammo, no HUD or Radial menus, enemies are far more aggressive, you can only have 2 guns and supplies are scarcer.

So far, I have progressed to Red Square, where I am a little stuck. But Ranger Hardcore mode was not difficult at all where you are only facing human enemies, but on the surface or in tunnels with Watchers, I find it brutally tough, running out of ammo frequently, and sometimes filters. I had to finish off the rhino melee style. I have had to use military ammo in my weapons. I'm only an average gamer. Good players probably fare much better.

I would not recommend Ranger mode, if you have not played original style. I did it, but I did not figure out that I even had mines and grenades until I was about halfway through the game. And it took a while to cue into the scenes where I had to mash :square:.

I'm in the middle of this playthrough. Up to Bolshoi. Any suggestions for weapons in future chapters? I'm rocking the pistol from the locker on facility and the Bastard right now. This mode is intense. I ran out of ammo and filters while fighting watchmen down the escalator w/Pavel. Really enjoyed this game.

You should definitely stay stealthy around human enemies. Figure out which routes to take to turn electrical boxes and/or lights in general. Use throwing knives and sneak attacks, but don't kill everyone if you can get passed the chapter without having to in case they call for back up. I haven't had a problem with running out of ammo if you save your bullets for the mutants. Backpedal and keep your distance while shooting the mutants.

Edited by King David

It was very easy on hardcore ranger. But also one of the best games i ever played. Brilliant fps game.

Go for stealth kills as much as u can ( also throwing knives ), 4 barrelled shotgun can kill every monster easy, and monsters are not to be afraid of, cuz mostly they even don't recognize u sneak behind them or just they fear u.

For bosses spare claymores, Big Mamma was about 2-3 Claymores and nothing more. :D

Soldiers mostly screw the situation, RPK with one single headshot will do the job, or knives.

I'm in the middle of this playthrough. Up to Bolshoi. Any suggestions for weapons in future chapters? I'm rocking the pistol from the locker on facility and the Bastard right now. This mode is intense. I ran out of ammo and filters while fighting watchmen down the escalator w/Pavel. Really enjoyed this game.

I always found more shotgun ammo than anything else, it seemed. I liked the shotgun with the revolving magazine (shambler, I think) and a rifle that I think was the Valve. Save mines and grenades for when you really need them. I mostly used reflex sights,but in Red Square there is a rifle with a 2x scope on a dead guy near the middle. That made getting the snipers easier. And I shot out the spotlights before triggering the enemies to spawn.

The mutant encounters were the most challenging.

Human AI will stand right in front of you and not know you're there (assuming your little blue light isn't lit). Mutants come from all directions right at you, regardless of sight.

still had a lot of fun playing on Ranger mode. Fun to not have a hud and find out at times how much wish it was there.

I recommend to play on Ranger Hardcore as your last playthrough (it was fourth in my case). By that time you'll know the locations, where are the supplies, how to deal with enemies etc. This mode is basically a speedrun - filters are not a problem, as you already know, where to go and not wandering around, just to admire rain or sth :). Ammo is not a problem either - just remember to loot every corpse you come across - since stealthy approach is the best. Most of Watchmen attacks can be avoided by simply running past them and reaching your goal (once again - knowing the locations is the key).

There are couple of glitches that you can use to your advantage, like first time on the surface with Pavel - after you get out of the plane, let him kill the Demon then run straight to the point (ignoring Watchmen jumping off the roofs) where you enter the building and stay there waiting for Pavel.

Monsters won't attack you - let Pavel deal with the mutants.

There are more situations like this, so try to run instead of fighting - 90% of monsters fights can be avoided.

Edited by WrednyPL

• 1 month later...
There are couple of glitches that you can use to your advantage, like first time on the surface with Pavel - after you get out of the plane, let him kill the Demon then run straight to the point (ignoring Watchmen jumping off the roofs) where you enter the building and stay there waiting for Pavel.

Monsters won't attack you - let Pavel deal with the mutants.

There are more situations like this, so try to run instead of fighting - 90% of monsters fights can be avoided.

Sweet i'll try em' out thanks :)

I beat it last night. Here are some tips:

1. You only need to shoot the bear when the Watchmen jump up on her. I think that shooting her before they attack causes them to attack her sooner, but if you just run around the stage eventually the bear will be attacked anyway. This is useful to know if you're running low on ammo after the Red Square chapter.

2. Speaking of the Red Square, consider using your Claymores by the spawning points of the four enemies that try to flank you. Doing this should eliminate them and allow you to pick off the snipers without fear of getting attacked from the sides. It will make this part much easier. You can set up the Claymores while Pavel is shouting at you.

3. A sniper rifle is not essential but very very helpful on The Chase level especially after you reach the train. Enemies mow you down in seconds and the cover on the train doesn't always protect you, so firing from a safe® distance is better than trying to shotgun everyone.

4. Shadow Ranger is close to impossible on this difficulty level due to Train / Chase levels. I was able to avoid killing anyone up until the Train but then it became necessary.

5. Use your grenades / TNT / mines frequently. These are all over and seem to be just as numerous on Ranger Hardcore as on the other difficulties.

6. You should always carry a shotgun - preferably one with four barrels - since these mow down Watchmen efficiently.

7. When you're waiting for the boat to arrive before the Dark Water chapter you can run around the room (going up and down the escalator) instead of engaging the lizard creatures in combat.

• 1 year later...
Anyone else have the same opinion?

I tried an all stealth run in this DLC once and died almost immediately because the A.I is practically psychic and you can take 3-4 hits at most before dying, which would render the Train section virtually impossible.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo.