MUCH needed Improvements for Rainbow Skies...?

ICPosse8

Let me start off by saying that this game is simply amazing. All the content they managed to stuff in game is a true representation of how a game should be made. I have been absolutely dazed by how long and in-depth it is. However I'm sure most if not ALL of you have come across one, two, or maybe more things that make you wonder what SQS was thinking. Here are a few of my examples please feel free to leave yours.

1) Better dungeons must be added to the next installment, every one you step into feels like the last one you were in. Which makes me absolutely dread 'dungeon time'.

2) Better world mapping system, this goes without saying if you cant pull up a map and place a waypoint or if you are not able to accurately recognize where exactly you are on the map then you might have problems orientating yourself.

3) Better item/material/etc. management. It totally sucks shuffling through all the items on the tiny scroll window. It would be nice to pull up all the items at once to view or perhaps listing an item then listing a value next to it so it is less tedious a task.

4) Throughout the game there were many things to improve on such as weapons, character levels, heck even the skill moves could be leveled up but how about we also gain upgrades for walking speed. This would be invaluable to the gamer over the long haul and would reduce the grind while still maintaining freshness.

5) EVERY SINGLE BATTLE felt almost exactly the same save the characters that appeared and that was only the case when bosses came around. Change the music, change the layout of the arena, change something!

6) Less fetching on sidequests and more killing, capturing, rescuing, stealing, whatever works just no more fetching please!!!!

7) No personal in-game music!?!? You would think a game with such a grind and the repetitive soundtrack would at least allow you to play your own music, nope!

8) Last but certainly not least on the list are the skill move cut-scenes. Seriously, when I'm grinding through a hour long dungeon I DO NOT want to see the same skill move effect over and over and over again. They should give us an option to turn them off this way we will not be so hard-pressed to use our skills due to the nausea induced clip that's activated when we do.

Edited by ICPosse8

• 2 weeks later...

1. Disagreed, even though even better dungeons of course is better. I think most of the dungeons were pretty varied.
  2. You can press a button to center to exactly where you are on the world map, so some of your complaint here is not true at all. I too would want to be able to place waypoints on the world map though, and maybe see it all in the corner of the screen with it showing what is behind the map too, but just barely, so one can follow the map properly and see what is behind it.
  3. You can sort already. The reason for why items don't stack is because many of them are not alike and even if they were alike they kinda make the space in the inventory limited. This can be solved in other ways, but I had no problem with doing it this way. I've seen far worse implementations.
  4. It sounds like you were grinding quite a lot, but honestly, I had no problem with the walk speed. It takes you around the world map in short enough time, and you don't really want to go too fast to explore and fight enemies etc. I would have liked to see several points where you could teleport to the various key places you've been. I kinda like that you have to fight your way to get places meaning you will have to plan your trip before going.
  5. The battle grid layout, the battle music, the battle background, the formation of the enemies, the groups of enemies, etc it was all changed most of the time. There are quite many sound tracks in this game, and many of them are for battles and dungeons etc.
  6. What you are asking for was already there. I know the quests were about fetching stuff, but most of the time you would have to fight some boss to get there or the boss drops what you were asked to get. Sometimes you are asked to rescue people. The thing about the fetch quests were that you had to go back to the person who gave you the quest to get the reward, but other character could also give you a reward for doing the quest, but yeah, I think that was a limitation to their quest system. Someone had to give you the reward. Would have made little sense to get the reward when you killed the boss instead of going back to tell the person who asked you to do it that you've done it and then get the reward from them.
  7. There are some very few games I've felt I had to use other music, but this game I didn't feel like doing that. I like the music, I even purchased the soundtrack. :p I guess near the end you will be a bit tired of some songs if you grind, but you don't really need to grind much in this game at all if you do it correctly.
  8. You can already skip these, but you gotta unlock the feature to do so. I'm not really sure how to unlock it, but if you use it often enough you can press one of the shoulder buttons to skip it. So yeah, this already exists.

It seems I disagreed with almost everything you suggested. Many of the things you mentioned aren't correct or aren't entirely correct and it seems you don't know about certain features etc. I guess that is a problem and could have been better explained in the game.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Disagreed, even though even better dungeons of course is better. I think most of the dungeons were pretty varied.
  2. You can press a button to center to exactly where you are on the world map, so some of your complaint here is not true at all. I too would want to be able to place waypoints on the world map though, and maybe see it all in the corner of the screen with it showing what is behind the map too, but just barely, so one can follow the map properly and see what is behind it.
  3. You can sort already. The reason for why items don't stack is because many of them are not alike and even if they were alike they kinda make the space in the inventory limited. This can be solved in other ways, but I had no problem with doing it this way. I've seen far worse implementations.
  4. It sounds like you were grinding quite a lot, but honestly, I had no problem with the walk speed. It takes you around the world map in short enough time, and you don't really want to go too fast to explore and fight enemies etc. I would have liked to see several points where you could teleport to the various key places you've been. I kinda like that you have to fight your way to get places meaning you will have to plan your trip before going.
  5. The battle grid layout, the battle music, the battle background, the formation of the enemies, the groups of enemies, etc it was all changed most of the time. There are quite many sound tracks in this game, and many of them are for battles and dungeons etc.
  6. What you are asking for was already there. I know the quests were about fetching stuff, but most of the time you would have to fight some boss to get there or the boss drops what you were asked to get. Sometimes you are asked to rescue people. The thing about the fetch quests were that you had to go back to the person who gave you the quest to get the reward, but other character could also give you a reward for doing the quest, but yeah, I think that was a limitation to their quest system. Someone had to give you the reward. Would have made little sense to get the reward when you killed the boss instead of going back to tell the person who asked you to do it that you've done it and then get the reward from them.
  7. There are some very few games I've felt I had to use other music, but this game I didn't feel like doing that. I like the music, I even purchased the soundtrack. :p I guess near the end you will be a bit tired of some songs if you grind, but you don't really need to grind much in this game at all if you do it correctly.
  8. You can already skip these, but you gotta unlock the feature to do so. I'm not really sure how to unlock it, but if you use it often enough you can press one of the shoulder buttons to skip it. So yeah, this already exists.

It seems I disagreed with almost everything you suggested. Many of the things you mentioned aren't correct or aren't entirely correct and it seems you don't know about certain features etc. I guess that is a problem and could have been better explained in the game.

NO NO NO the mapping system was all whacked out. When you opened it you got a bland map not showing anything in detail. Sure it showed mountain and tree formations but you could barely tell WHERE exactly that was on the map. When you pull up the map it should have been something more like pulling up the actual Map of Orad or something of the sort. In other words the map that displays the character is not detailed enough and you have to scroll through its entirety in order to see the entire are but when you open up the map of Orad or of Euran then you can see an nice detailed view of the land but WITHOUT the characters position displayed.

I'm sticking by my stance on the boring ass dungeons IDK how you could possibly think they were all varied because they really weren't except for the actual layout. The walls the floors everything was almost exactly the same dungeon after dungeon.

I did hear about the skipping animations though after I originally posted this but I have still yet to implement it.

The soundtrack was totally lame and I'm not a big music person. Since you bought the soundtrack I guess your not much of a music person either.

Going back to the quests complaint, your argument holds no weight because your just trying to make it seem not as tedious as it actually was. Whether I have to fight a boss to get an item or take an item that I've collected to somebody else to get the reward they are both still FETCH quests! Every single quest required you to collect something.

Also I really don't see your meaning with the inventory issues. When I have 50 separate "Glass Shards" in my inventory when they could have easily been stacked into 1, than I find that completely stupid. You ever play Terraia? There are TONS of items in THAT GAME and they seem to have found the value of STACKING items. No item stack in an RPG... GTFOH!!!!!

Seriously this shit needs improved upon!

NO NO NO the mapping system was all whacked out. When you opened it you got a bland map not showing anything in detail. Sure it showed mountain and tree formations but you could barely tell WHERE exactly that was on the map. When you pull up the map it should have been something more like pulling up the actual Map of Orad or something of the sort. In other words the map that displays the character is not detailed enough and you have to scroll through its entirety in order to see the entire are but when you open up the map of Orad or of Euran then you can see an nice detailed view of the land but WITHOUT the characters position displayed.

I'm sticking by my stance on the boring ass dungeons IDK how you could possibly think they were all varied because they really weren't except for the actual layout. The walls the floors everything was almost exactly the same dungeon after dungeon.

I did hear about the skipping animations though after I originally posted this but I have still yet to implement it.

The soundtrack was totally lame and I'm not a big music person. Since you bought the soundtrack I guess your not much of a music person either.

Going back to the quests complaint, your argument holds no weight because your just trying to make it seem not as tedious as it actually was. Whether I have to fight a boss to get an item or take an item that I've collected to somebody else to get the reward they are both still FETCH quests! Every single quest required you to collect something.

Also I really don't see your meaning with the inventory issues. When I have 50 separate "Glass Shards" in my inventory when they could have easily been stacked into 1, than I find that completely stupid. You ever play Terraia? There are TONS of items in THAT GAME and they seem to have found the value of STACKING items. No item stack in an RPG... GTFOH!!!!!

Seriously this shit needs improved upon!

It shows just as much as an ACTUAL map would show, and you can press a single button to center on where you are... If you want an unrealistically detailed map then that's a totally different thing.

As far as I care the layout is what actually matters, not that they don't use a lot of time and money on designing a lot of different sprites and models etc. In my opinion designing what I think you request is just a waste of money. Gameplay is more important, and that is one thing this company and game gets right. It doesn't waste a lot of money on things that doesn't really matter that much.

You have still yet to implement the skipping animations??? I don't think you are supposed to implement it, the developers already have.

As far as me not being a music person... I have and listen to a lot of music, and very varied music too. Mostly classical, actual black and death metal, all kinds of psychedelic and experimental electronic and trance (acid, goa and lots of other strange stuff) or various types of ambient, prog rock, world, folk, all kinds of soundtracks, love 8 bit, bah lots of more... xD I've also professionally played an instrument and know how to play several. Point is anyways I'm a music person. :p And when it comes to soundtracks for games etc, I've heard and know a lot about it. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, I also really enjoyed the same composers Söldner-X 2's soundtrack.

As far as your complaints on the soundtrack goes, you complained it only had one battle soundtrack and background music etc. I can safely say, since I got the album, that it has 32 tracks and they last for 75 minutes. There's plenty of music in the game, and many battle themes.

Your complaints when it comes to the quests, the quests are as varied as you suggested already. It sure always are the way that you either need to get some item and bring it to someone or just talk to someone. This is exactly like you suggested too, but I guess you want the quests to end when you kill a boss or something, get the reward there and then without going back to the quest giver and get the reward from them. <_< Most of the time, while you had to collect something, it usually involved beating a boss (like you suggested), talking to someone, find the item, explore a cave to find it, explore the outside, fight off x enemies, fight off enemies for random loot etc. basically everything you ask for. <_< I'm not sure what other kind of quests you'd like to see. I know there exists other kind of quests, but there aren't many other types you can have in a game like this. If you really want varied quests etc, go play my favorite game, Tombi! (Tomba!).

Last thing you still seem to miss the point about. Why do you think they don't stack? Do you think it's because they implemented it badly? Nope, that's not the reason. It's because you got a limited inventory, you can't carry infinite loot. Yes, I know you could limit it like 99 is the max, but then you miss the point. You can only carry X amount of items. You can purchase bigger inventory etc. Sure you could still have made some stack, but it would have been somewhat confusing. You could also have it so some things are more heavy etc and you went after weight like in Demon's Souls. But this is the way they went.

This still isn't the main reason for why they don't stack, the reason most items don't stack is the same as in Demon's Souls. Each item is unique, it doesn't stack with the rest, because it simply isn't the exact same. Only some few items in Demon's Souls stack. It can be confusing when combined with limited inventory space etc the way it was implemented in Rainbow Moon, so I'm glad they didn't go that path. In any case, as I explained earlier, some items are unique, like crafting materials. They can have the same name, but different stats. Same goes for all armor etc, they must be treated as unique armor to be able to craft one and not all etc.

I don't agree with pretty much anything of what you say, and you are missing out on the biggest problems with the game, which isn't it's gameplay, because the gameplay is excellent compared to most RPGs this generation. The music is great and the graphics fit the game welll without having been too expensive, and I'd rather see they spend money on the biggest problem with the game than upgrading graphics or "more varied" graphics.

The biggest problem with the game is the story. I think what is missing from many of the quests you do, and why you complain about them without even giving a good reason, is that they just aren't engaging enough. This is simply because of the not too engaging story etc. There's some fun to be had, but I wish it could have been more epic or more funny than it was etc. I'd love to see a more serious side to the game, but that they still kept a lot of fun stuff here and there. Maybe some funny re-appearing bad guys, much like Namoris, but just some side-kicks or someone who doesn't really have anything to do with the story (like Gilgamesh in FFV or Wedge and Biggs in FFVII).

I think you are forgetting this is a pretty low budget game, and could almost be called an indie game. Don't go expecting a miraculous RPG, as those are very expensive. There are plenty of RPGs on PS3 that are far worse, in fact, this is one of the better RPGs on PS3. <_<

Edited by MMDE

It shows just as much as an ACTUAL map would show, and you can press a single button to center on where you are... If you want an unrealistically detailed map then that's a totally different thing.

As far as I care the layout is what actually matters, not that they don't use a lot of time and money on designing a lot of different sprites and models etc. In my opinion designing what I think you request is just a waste of money. Gameplay is more important, and that is one thing this company and game gets right. It doesn't waste a lot of money on things that doesn't really matter that much.

You have still yet to implement the skipping animations??? I don't think you are supposed to implement it, the developers already have.

As far as me not being a music person... I have and listen to a lot of music, and very varied music too. Mostly classical, actual black and death metal, all kinds of psychedelic and experimental electronic and trance (acid, goa and lots of other strange stuff) or various types of ambient, prog rock, world, folk, all kinds of soundtracks, love 8 bit, bah lots of more... xD I've also professionally played an instrument and know how to play several. Point is anyways I'm a music person. :p And when it comes to soundtracks for games etc, I've heard and know a lot about it. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, I also really enjoyed the same composers Söldner-X 2's soundtrack.

As far as your complaints on the soundtrack goes, you complained it only had one battle soundtrack and background music etc. I can safely say, since I got the album, that it has 32 tracks and they last for 75 minutes. There's plenty of music in the game, and many battle themes.

Your complaints when it comes to the quests, the quests are as varied as you suggested already. It sure always are the way that you either need to get some item and bring it to someone or just talk to someone. This is exactly like you suggested too, but I guess you want the quests to end when you kill a boss or something, get the reward there and then without going back to the quest giver and get the reward from them. <_< Most of the time, while you had to collect something, it usually involved beating a boss (like you suggested), talking to someone, find the item, explore a cave to find it, explore the outside, fight off x enemies, fight off enemies for random loot etc. basically everything you ask for. <_< I'm not sure what other kind of quests you'd like to see. I know there exists other kind of quests, but there aren't many other types you can have in a game like this. If you really want varied quests etc, go play my favorite game, Tombi! (Tomba!).

Last thing you still seem to miss the point about. Why do you think they don't stack? Do you think it's because they implemented it badly? Nope, that's not the reason. It's because you got a limited inventory, you can't carry infinite loot. Yes, I know you could limit it like 99 is the max, but then you miss the point. You can only carry X amount of items. You can purchase bigger inventory etc. Sure you could still have made some stack, but it would have been somewhat confusing. You could also have it so some things are more heavy etc and you went after weight like in Demon's Souls. But this is the way they went.

This still isn't the main reason for why they don't stack, the reason most items don't stack is the same as in Demon's Souls. Each item is unique, it doesn't stack with the rest, because it simply isn't the exact same. Only some few items in Demon's Souls stack. It can be confusing when combined with limited inventory space etc the way it was implemented in Rainbow Moon, so I'm glad they didn't go that path. In any case, as I explained earlier, some items are unique, like crafting materials. They can have the same name, but different stats. Same goes for all armor etc, they must be treated as unique armor to be able to craft one and not all etc.

I don't agree with pretty much anything of what you say, and you are missing out on the biggest problems with the game, which isn't it's gameplay, because the gameplay is excellent compared to most RPGs this generation. The music is great and the graphics fit the game welll without having been too expensive, and I'd rather see they spend money on the biggest problem with the game than upgrading graphics or "more varied" graphics.

The biggest problem with the game is the story. I think what is missing from many of the quests you do, and why you complain about them without even giving a good reason, is that they just aren't engaging enough. This is simply because of the not too engaging story etc. There's some fun to be had, but I wish it could have been more epic or more funny than it was etc. I'd love to see a more serious side to the game, but that they still kept a lot of fun stuff here and there. Maybe some funny re-appearing bad guys, much like Namoris, but just some side-kicks or someone who doesn't really have anything to do with the story (like Gilgamesh in FFV or Wedge and Biggs in FFVII).

I think you are forgetting this is a pretty low budget game, and could almost be called an indie game. Don't go expecting a miraculous RPG, as those are very expensive. There are plenty of RPGs on PS3 that are far worse, in fact, this is one of the better RPGs on PS3. <_<

Ok I really think you missed the first paragraph of my original post. If you did happen to read it than you would notice that I commended this game for its amazing gameplay, graphics, and world design in general. So you trying to back up the gameplay and say its good its pointless because I already agree with you.

Once again the mapping system blows. Just because you can center yourself in the center of the map does not mean it gives you an accurate description of WHERE exactly you are located. You can defend it all you want but the fact that nothing is labeled and its a crude hand-drawn map does NOT help!

And ok I'll let up on the music because you obviously seem to have a varied taste and its not really that big of an issue.

Your argument makes no sense with the item stacking though and your reference to Demon Soul's is silly. I understand clearly that there are items that have different stats and can not be stacked (such as the Elixers or Imp Horns) however there is absolutely NO difference in glass shards or things of the such. They may have been trying to add an element of difficulty with the limited inventory but its simply shoddy when you have 45 different slots being taken up with the same items (i.e. gold bars). Why the hell would I want that? Why would YOU want that?

This game is fantastic and I love it but these things need changed and your obviously no help. I bet if it were up to You the next title would be exactly the same with a stronger story (which I also feel needs improvement) same music and everything! I really don't think your input is valid.

Your argument makes no sense with the item stacking though and your reference to Demon Soul's is silly. I understand clearly that there are items that have different stats and can not be stacked (such as the Elixers or Imp Horns) however there is absolutely NO difference in glass shards or things of the such. They may have been trying to add an element of difficulty with the limited inventory but its simply shoddy when you have 45 different slots being taken up with the same items (i.e. gold bars). Why the hell would I want that? Why would YOU want that?

This game is fantastic and I love it but these things need changed and your obviously no help. I bet if it were up to You the next title would be exactly the same with a stronger story (which I also feel needs improvement) same music and everything! I really don't think your input is valid.

It's not silly when it's the exact same thing. You want it to be like Demon's Souls, but there they use a weight system instead. All craft items can not stack, same thing with equipment. Non-leveled items like a normal potion which does the same thing every time and can't have varied stats, could potentially stack. You could potentially do the same thing as in Elder's Scroll where they made even more stuff stack, even if they can be leveled items etc, but they only stack when they are exactly alike. While all this is good and well, then you miss out on the fact that it makes for a very inconsistent inventory system. The way it is now is that you can store x amount of items.

When it comes to storing gold, I don't think there is any reason to do that as far as I remember. Most item you should sell or use to craft things with. You don't need the bad equipment. You also don't get to stack up with lots of potions etc for battles unless you want to sacrifice space in the inventory for it. You know there is a passive skill that allow you to use items without it using a sub-turn... just imagine if you had lots of potions.... <_<

The only thing I really think needs some good improvement is the story, it would make the quests and generally the whole game more fun to play. It's an RPG and the story usually is an important part of those games. Everything else is totally fine/great for a budget game like this. Whatever you think about my input being valid or not, then most of what you complained about in your original post already exists or isn't exactly very agreeable. This is not an AAA title, and you seem to miss that point. This game doesn't have a budget anywhere near a Final Fantasy game. The game was also priced correctly, and I paid less than 8,5GBP for it at release.

A bit beside the point, but this company makes "niche" games. They got 3 games on PS3, where 2 are shmups, and then there is this game that also caters to people who liked the world map of old FF games and wanted a more fast paced "JTRPG" battle system. If you really want to give them some feedback, you can do that on their forums... http://www.eastasiasoft.com/index.php/forum

Edited by MMDE

• 8 months later...

I agree with the OP on a number of points. Especially the map. I don't know how many times during post game, that I've been trying to go across the world and just get completely confused as to where I am and what direction i need to go. Only point i don't agree on is the music. While yes it is unimaginative, lame, and overall boring. Just mute it. Play your own music on an mp3 player or stereo; that's what i did.

• 4 months later...

I actually don't think game is all that great, I wouldn't even call it good. There are so many things that would have to be changed in order for me to play the sequel including the dreadful pearl system. Either change it or remove it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about 40 hours into the game right now, not even close to being done and I definitely agree with some of the complaints here.

Most definitely, the world map is an issue. The lack of location names on the map and just general lack of detail are big-time omissions. As in, I can't believe the game was released without them.

Secondly, agreed on the skill animations. Yes, after awhile, you can unlock the ability to skip but... A) It's stupid to have to do that; B) Not every animation can be skipped and C) It takes too long to even earn the skip ability; D) It's stupid to have to do that (yes, I repeated myself). Seriously, make us watch the animation 5 times or something and then let us skip it. For EVERY spell/skill. Seeing the animation for "Painful Aim" 50 billion times gets a little old after awhile.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, there should definitely be an option to automatically skip animations after seeing them once, like in Disgaea. This game is slow enough, it needs anything it can get to streamline.

I also feel like I am constantly fighting the menus and the inventory system. They just feel awkward, especially if I have put the game down for a few days. It's like learning them all over again.

Very pretty game, and liking the combat well enough, but it is really, really slow going.

• 2 months later...

I agree. The game is slow as hell and the UI doesn't help. Menu scrolling is very basic (not grouping items??? with limited bag space?? c'mon!), and switching between characters in-menu is simply terrible. Food should either go to the character that needs it the most automatically, or just have "group hunger" to deal with. Individual switching with R2 and L2 is dumb. All characters should appear on the left side of the screen instead of their unique, huge - and quite lousy - drawings.

Battle system is kind of ok, but battles drag for too long because of the skill animations. As others have said, the skill to skip them (which I haven't acquired in almost 50 hours of gameplay) comes too late, and this didn't need to be an issue at all!

Oh... the map sucks big time :mad: it's not only simple, it feels unfinished. Markers are only a small complaint, but what about naming locations, or being a bit more structured (i.e. having edges, instead of just seeing huge, empty map spaces go by until you get somewhere).

Fetch quests are terrible. It's all about going back and forth between people who are standing right next to each other but can't talk to themselves. The story is simply based on fetching X number of things, and game length depends on this arbitrary design. Instead of making each location interesting due to a story-related quest, you just need to go grab a piece of something there and there and that's it. No context, no story, no depth.

Music is fine, though. Kind of boring for having you grind so much, but it was one of the best aspects of the game. As opposed to character designs.

A sequel would have to go a LONG way and still be free for PS Plus for me to play it. It's a very average-quality game with a lot of lost potential.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree. The game is slow as hell and the UI doesn't help. Menu scrolling is very basic (not grouping items??? with limited bag space?? c'mon!), and switching between characters in-menu is simply terrible. Food should either go to the character that needs it the most automatically, or just have "group hunger" to deal with. Individual switching with R2 and L2 is dumb. All characters should appear on the left side of the screen instead of their unique, huge - and quite lousy - drawings.

Battle system is kind of ok, but battles drag for too long because of the skill animations. As others have said, the skill to skip them (which I haven't acquired in almost 50 hours of gameplay) comes too late, and this didn't need to be an issue at all!

Oh... the map sucks big time :mad: it's not only simple, it feels unfinished. Markers are only a small complaint, but what about naming locations, or being a bit more structured (i.e. having edges, instead of just seeing huge, empty map spaces go by until you get somewhere).

Fetch quests are terrible. It's all about going back and forth between people who are standing right next to each other but can't talk to themselves. The story is simply based on fetching X number of things, and game length depends on this arbitrary design. Instead of making each location interesting due to a story-related quest, you just need to go grab a piece of something there and there and that's it. No context, no story, no depth.

Music is fine, though. Kind of boring for having you grind so much, but it was one of the best aspects of the game. As opposed to character designs.

A sequel would have to go a LONG way and still be free for PS Plus for me to play it. It's a very average-quality game with a lot of lost potential.

Well said old friend, but lets not forget how poor the English is. Might as well be a free ap game on my phone.

• 1 year later...

Late to the party, as usual.. But better late than never in this case, for sure.. Let's jump right into it

First, this was all rather entertaining: but let's start it off right. If you don't like this game, or you wanna trash it.. Don't play it. Problem solved; ok? You wouldn't like it if someone just came into a random ass thread of one of your favorite games of all time and just started talking trash about it.. Illegitimately.. For no rhyme or reasons..

Second, gonna have to agree with MMDE on this one.. Which I never agree with MMDE.. We talk in group chat on skype.. We always butt heads and we're always arguing or debating over something stupid.. But M is right here.. Absolutely correct. It was a low budget game to begin with from an indie studio making an indie RPG. The game is absolutely phenomenal and I wouldn't change a damn thing about it. It's imperfections make it have that much more defined character and that much more grit and overall real-ness to it. I understand this thread and I do respect it.

From a stance on.. How would you make rainbow skies better? Yeah I could see it like that.. But just reading it at its length and seeing all the complaints about RM.. It comes off as loudly as: how could you make rainbow moon better? Or even: how could you make such a crappy game like rainbow moon?

I read your disclaimer. But tbh imho it was like one of this advisory disclaimers.. Warning: this shit will blow up if tampered with.. Caution: I'm about to kick you in the balls, so run away.. Lol. I can clearly see the topics title. So, I won't belabor the point..

What would I do to make rainbow skies better? Well.. Not a lot actually.. It could honestly go either way.. Make a carbon copy and tweak a few things.. Gold!!! But if I were forced to change some things.. Hmmm.. Well I would add some sort of multiplayer.. PvE, PvP doesn't matter.. If multiplayer was a no go.. I would add a class customization system.. Something like final fantasy tactics or something of that nature where you had a job tree and you could go certain paths after hitting X level.. Could be every 10 levels or so.. But these job or class customizations would determine a character's utility.. So, their skills and abilities would be derived from the path you carved out for them in their tree.. Even better, every character could have a unique growth tree

Count me as another person who is a really big fan of Rainbow Moon. I do recognize where some of the complaints are coming from for people, but as it’s been said, this was designed from a small indie company, and it was also their first RPG. I think they did damn fine job for their first time.

That said, I feel there are ways to make improvements to any game, including Rainbow Moon. But as long as they keep the core of what makes it enjoyable for me (turn-based, a good challenge, not easy to gain coin, and yes, that grind nature), then I am ok with any changes they do make.

Looking over the first post, and the list of issues, Rainbow Skies is already making improvements in most of those areas.

1) Better Dungeons – Both Eastasiasoft and Sidequest Studios are on record in saying that almost all of the dungeons will be unique. You won’t get that ‘sameness’ that was evident in many of the dungeons. They’ve said there will be 10 times the amount of assets in the game, which will play a large part on making those dungeons unique.

2) Better world mapping – I do agree with the issue on this one. The world map could have done much better. There wasn’t a lot of info on the map (namewise), and it was difficult to find where you were at if you scrolled anywhere, unless you exited out and came back in. That said, they’ve said the world map will also be a large improvement in Rainbow Skies. There will be a better zoom function, and more things will be labeled on the map making it more informative. You can see this already on some of their pictures.

3) Better item/material management – This is one I disagree with. It really doesn’t take a lot to scroll up and down through the items in Rainbow Moon by tapping the L/R buttons. And making items stackable would be the worst thing they can do. Part of the enjoyment/challenge for me in Rainbow Moon is your limited inventory space. You have to really think what you want to keep and when you are going to use it. It’s also why I really like the expanders, as it gives you something else to spend your money on due to space is so valuable.

Armor and weapon expanders are pretty useless, but Recovery and Miscellaneous, especially Recovery, most definitely needed. And I’ve been told we will see a similar system in Rainbow Skies, which I am glad to hear.

4) Upgrade for walking speed – Eh, this one I don’t think is too big of a deal or really needed. Walking around was not all that slow (was fine for me). But if it’s that important to that many people, then maybe they could make you walk a little faster by pressing a button. However, from reading all the info on Rainbow Skies, I have not seen anything mentioned about a faster walking speed. And looking at their video (which is about two years old now) the walking speed looks about the same. But I definitely do not feel this would fall under a MUCH needed change.

5) Layout of battle screens – Again, like mentioned above, they are going to have a lot more assets this time around for Rainbow Skies. So I am sure you will see very different battle layouts, and you can already see this in pictures they’ve shown of the game.

6) Quests – They have indicated there will not only be a great deal number of quests (at least 200) but much more variety, as well. As well as a much more involved and easier system in keep track of all your quests. Keep in mind that Rainbow Moon has a total of 66 quests, post-game quests included.

7) No personal, in-game music – I can’t say this complaint is really justified. There aren’t many popular games that have the option to play your own music, so not seeing the option in a game from a small indie company is not surprising. Besides, the soundtrack for Rainbow Moon is great and competes with many AAA titles, and is even better in some respects. From what I’ve heard from the soundtrack of Rainbow Skies, it sounds just as good.

8) Skill cut-scenes – The system they have set up for Rainbow Moon doesn’t bother me all that much, where you use it enough times and eventually have the option to bypass the cut-scene. The more advanced (and flashy) skills, you can bypass them more quickly.

But they have indicated that skill animations will be able to be skipped from the beginning if they are used multiple times in a row. How that differs from Rainbow Moon exactly, I am not sure. But even if it’s relatively the same, this would not upset me.

There is one change that I felt was needed, but not mentioned here. Something minor, but one of my biggest pet peeves. But when using a Seed of Revival, not being able to choose the square you want them to come back in. I don’t know how many times they were revived right next to an enemy square, only to die immediately again. However, it was said that you will be able to choose which square to revive them in for Rainbow Skies.

OK, This is coming from someone who is not that big a fan of this game. However the 100 or so hours I already put in this game are definitely fun and rewarding.

For #1 I am actually OK. I would say the dungeons, while lack a bit polishing, are very well designed in layout and monster set up. This is all I care about.

#2 agree. They should also put indicators for side quests. or even better, bags/chests

#3 This is my biggest complain. Why can't I press up at the top and go to the bottom of the item list immediately, that could save lots of time scrolling 200+ materials to find those things you wanted to sell. And I personally don't like them mixing materials and quest items together. Stacking would be nice but not really necessary. they could implement a limit on stackable items if they want to preserve the "challenge".

#4 walking is OK but I wish the sail speed is faster.

#6 I don't really have complains regarding quests. No matter how they are wrapped, in the end of day, they are still killing X monsters/picking Y items for MMMM exp and NNNN golds. However, i would say it would be nice if they reduce the travel between NPCs. Say, when you pick up the dog, you should be teleport to the NPC directly.

#8 Even we could keep the current implementation for PC skills, I would very much like an options to turn of enemy skill animation. Watching Namoris skill animation for like 70 times is no fun.

don't really have any complain regarding #5 & #7.

Count me as another person who is a really big fan of Rainbow Moon. I do recognize where some of the complaints are coming from for people, but as it’s been said, this was designed from a small indie company, and it was also their first RPG. I think they did damn fine job for their first time.

That said, I feel there are ways to make improvements to any game, including Rainbow Moon. But as long as they keep the core of what makes it enjoyable for me (turn-based, a good challenge, not easy to gain coin, and yes, that grind nature), then I am ok with any changes they do make.

Looking over the first post, and the list of issues, Rainbow Skies is already making improvements in most of those areas.

1) Better Dungeons – Both Eastasiasoft and Sidequest Studios are on record in saying that almost all of the dungeons will be unique. You won’t get that ‘sameness’ that was evident in many of the dungeons. They’ve said there will be 10 times the amount of assets in the game, which will play a large part on making those dungeons unique.

2) Better world mapping – I do agree with the issue on this one. The world map could have done much better. There wasn’t a lot of info on the map (namewise), and it was difficult to find where you were at if you scrolled anywhere, unless you exited out and came back in. That said, they’ve said the world map will also be a large improvement in Rainbow Skies. There will be a better zoom function, and more things will be labeled on the map making it more informative. You can see this already on some of their pictures.

3) Better item/material management – This is one I disagree with. It really doesn’t take a lot to scroll up and down through the items in Rainbow Moon by tapping the L/R buttons. And making items stackable would be the worst thing they can do. Part of the enjoyment/challenge for me in Rainbow Moon is your limited inventory space. You have to really think what you want to keep and when you are going to use it. It’s also why I really like the expanders, as it gives you something else to spend your money on due to space is so valuable.

Armor and weapon expanders are pretty useless, but Recovery and Miscellaneous, especially Recovery, most definitely needed. And I’ve been told we will see a similar system in Rainbow Skies, which I am glad to hear.

4) Upgrade for walking speed – Eh, this one I don’t think is too big of a deal or really needed. Walking around was not all that slow (was fine for me). But if it’s that important to that many people, then maybe they could make you walk a little faster by pressing a button. However, from reading all the info on Rainbow Skies, I have not seen anything mentioned about a faster walking speed. And looking at their video (which is about two years old now) the walking speed looks about the same. But I definitely do not feel this would fall under a MUCH needed change.

5) Layout of battle screens – Again, like mentioned above, they are going to have a lot more assets this time around for Rainbow Skies. So I am sure you will see very different battle layouts, and you can already see this in pictures they’ve shown of the game.

6) Quests – They have indicated there will not only be a great deal number of quests (at least 200) but much more variety, as well. As well as a much more involved and easier system in keep track of all your quests. Keep in mind that Rainbow Moon has a total of 66 quests, post-game quests included.

7) No personal, in-game music – I can’t say this complaint is really justified. There aren’t many popular games that have the option to play your own music, so not seeing the option in a game from a small indie company is not surprising. Besides, the soundtrack for Rainbow Moon is great and competes with many AAA titles, and is even better in some respects. From what I’ve heard from the soundtrack of Rainbow Skies, it sounds just as good.

8) Skill cut-scenes – The system they have set up for Rainbow Moon doesn’t bother me all that much, where you use it enough times and eventually have the option to bypass the cut-scene. The more advanced (and flashy) skills, you can bypass them more quickly.

But they have indicated that skill animations will be able to be skipped from the beginning if they are used multiple times in a row. How that differs from Rainbow Moon exactly, I am not sure. But even if it’s relatively the same, this would not upset me.

There is one change that I felt was needed, but not mentioned here. Something minor, but one of my biggest pet peeves. But when using a Seed of Revival, not being able to choose the square you want them to come back in. I don’t know how many times they were revived right next to an enemy square, only to die immediately again. However, it was said that you will be able to choose which square to revive them in for Rainbow Skies.

#3 This is my biggest complain. Why can't I press up at the top and go to the bottom of the item list immediately, that could save lots of time scrolling 200+ materials to find those things you wanted to sell. And I personally don't like them mixing materials and quest items together. Stacking would be nice but not really necessary. they could implement a limit on stackable items if they want to preserve the "challenge".

I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to put the option to push up on the controller and wrap around to the bottom of the list, that would be a good addition. However, even still, I feel it is still quick enough to scroll to the bottom of the list in Rainbow Moon.

I don't ask this in a smarmy or critical sense, but you are aware you can scroll down, by page, by pushing right on the d-pad? You don't have to scroll down for each item? Pushing left on the d-pad scrolls by page going up. I think I said L/R in my last post, that was incorrect. But either way, the option is there. And it does scroll quickly, there is no delay when pushing right or left on d-pad.

Having to scroll on the item lists (Recovery, Miscellaneous and especially Materials) was something I did hundreds of times throughout the game, and it never felt cumbersome or took too long because it could be done quickly.

And I still feel stacking in any sense would really not be a good idea. The intention is to think carefully on what you keep, and when to use your items, so you always have enough space. Stacking would negate that needed strategy, even if it is small stacks. It would also negate the importance of the expanders, as well.

And to do all of this just to make the items scroll faster is just not worth what you would lose. Especially considering, as I indicated above, there are means where you can already scroll extremely fast.

Hmmm, you know what that's actually new to me.

I did miss quite some things in this game as i learned to skip the animation when the PCs are in their level 60s.... And I found out what those items do EXACTLY (on the top of the screen) not too long ago.

Thanks for the information.

BTW, last thing I want to mention but probably it is a far reach. I do wish they could adopt some WRPG approach, say, all the PCs are leveling at the same time.

I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to put the option to push up on the controller and wrap around to the bottom of the list, that would be a good addition. However, even still, I feel it is still quick enough to scroll to the bottom of the list in Rainbow Moon.

I don't ask this in a smarmy or critical sense, but you are aware you can scroll down, by page, by pushing right on the d-pad? You don't have to scroll down for each item? Pushing left on the d-pad scrolls by page going up. I think I said L/R in my last post, that was incorrect. But either way, the option is there. And it does scroll quickly, there is no delay when pushing right or left on d-pad.

Having to scroll on the item lists (Recovery, Miscellaneous and especially Materials) was something I did hundreds of times throughout the game, and it never felt cumbersome or took too long because it could be done quickly.

And I still feel stacking in any sense would really not be a good idea. The intention is to think carefully on what you keep, and when to use your items, so you always have enough space. Stacking would negate that needed strategy, even if it is small stacks. It would also negate the importance of the expanders, as well.

And to do all of this just to make the items scroll faster is just not worth what you would lose. Especially considering, as I indicated above, there are means where you can already scroll extremely fast.

Edited by maverick6146

Hmmm, you know what that's actually new to me.

I did miss quite some things in this game as i learned to skip the animation when the PCs are in their level 60s.... And I found out what those items do EXACTLY (on the top of the screen) not too long ago.

Thanks for the information.

BTW, last thing I want to mention but probably it is a far reach. I do wish they could adopt some WRPG approach, say, all the PCs are leveling at the same time.

Sure, not a problem. :)

I only knew about the page scrolling with the inventory lists because I was trying to see if there was a way to go faster, and found it by hitting left/right on the d-pad. I don’t even believe the information is on their controller scheme tutorial.

As for leveling for all party members, that has been a request by others, as well. I understand that complaint/request, but it’s not something I have too much of an issue with as I enjoy doing extra combats (grinding) in Rainbow Moon to bring everyone even.

In Rainbow Skies, there are only three characters, but you will be able to capture and train monsters (which then they are pets), and I would guess that only the monsters that participate will gain XP, but that isn’t something they’ve said either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got platinum and 5 robes away from unlocking level cap 999. Guess it is time to stop for me.

After a bit post-game play (beautifully designed, BTW), I would still say that skill animation skipping(not only PC's but also enemy's ) and inventory management (a "Get All" button after battle and more sort options) remain two of my most desired improvements.

the 3rd one maybe the mixing of materials and the quest items, which i began to dislike more and more towards the end of the game. The only side quest i was forced to be left is that "winter" quest, totally makes no sense.

Well, I probably will not jump to the next Rainbow game right away due to my huge backlog. but i do wish seeing a bigger and better game from the studio one day.

Sure, not a problem. :)

I only knew about the page scrolling with the inventory lists because I was trying to see if there was a way to go faster, and found it by hitting left/right on the d-pad. I don’t even believe the information is on their controller scheme tutorial.

As for leveling for all party members, that has been a request by others, as well. I understand that complaint/request, but it’s not something I have too much of an issue with as I enjoy doing extra combats (grinding) in Rainbow Moon to bring everyone even.

In Rainbow Skies, there are only three characters, but you will be able to capture and train monsters (which then they are pets), and I would guess that only the monsters that participate will gain XP, but that isn’t something they’ve said either way.

Just got platinum and 5 robes away from unlocking level cap 999. Guess it is time to stop for me.

After a bit post-game play (beautifully designed, BTW), I would still say that skill animation skipping(not only PC's but also enemy's ) and inventory management (a "Get All" button after battle and more sort options) remain two of my most desired improvements.

the 3rd one maybe the mixing of materials and the quest items, which i began to dislike more and more towards the end of the game. The only side quest i was forced to be left is that "winter" quest, totally makes no sense.

Well, I probably will not jump to the next Rainbow game right away due to my huge backlog. but i do wish seeing a bigger and better game from the studio one day.

So did you build yourself up to 999 yet? Or just unlock the ability to go that high? Don't forget there is a boss to fight at that level. There is also another one to fight 'on the way' getting that high (if you just unlocked the ability to go to 999 (I'm guessing you are in the 600s).

I do agree, the post-game was very well done. Although the only thing I would say they could do better is give more quests to get you up to 999. Once you unlock the ability to get to 999, and the highest shop level, there really isn't much to do except grind for experience, and the two bosses I told you about.

But I hear the optional content, including the post-game, is supposed to be much bigger for Rainbow Skies. And there are at least double the amount of total quests, so hopefully they will have quests all the way to 999.

I agree, a "Get All" button would be beneficial, although I haven't heard anything yes or no on that yet. In regards to mixing quest items with Materials, I understand what you are saying. But I think the reason they did that is a lot of quest items are things you can craft, as well. So they should have fell under the Materials inventory list.

I never had too much of an issue with it, myself. As long as they never would make a Material super rare, and also a quest item, where it would make it almost impossible to get again if you sold/crafted it, then I don't have an issue putting the quest items with Materials.

Myself, I am super excited for Rainbow Skies, and there is no way I will be able to wait to play the game when it is released. :)