What do you think of rain? (Spoilers)

WolfDevin

Hey everybody, if you managed to put down GTA, you will have noticed that rain released today. I just achieved 100% in it and I have got to say that the atmosphere and the soundtrack for this game is absolutely incredible. I did think that towards the middle it got a bit repetitive, with all the creatures and unknown encounters I mean. It also is not that long of a game, not sure if it justifies the $15 price tag. Overall though, glad I purchased. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everybody, if you managed to put down GTA, you will have noticed that rain released today. I just achieved 100% in it and I have got to say that the atmosphere and the soundtrack for this game is absolutely incredible. I did think that towards the middle it got a bit repetitive, with all the creatures and unknown encounters I mean. It also is not that long of a game, not sure if it justifies the $15 price tag. Overall though, glad I purchased. What are your thoughts?

Hi, Still on chapter 3 (didn't have time this morning to play more. it was released in Europe today). So far looks interesting. It definitely seems short (took like 1h to beat almost 3 chapters and you just run through them most of the time). Even soundtrack is just 2 songs. But I like the atmosphere and will see what the end will be. Music is also amazing. I have encountered some rather annoying bugs, but it's an indie game anyway. So far I like the game more than Unfinished Swan that was a total disappointment for me.

I'm on chapter 4 atm, didn't pushed too much yesterday night as i wanted to enjoy it in small bites.

looks quite good to me, to be honest falls a bit short of what i expected but it's still a quite original idea. I got the feeling sometimes that there was supposed to be more, were not the deadline; but then again, i've been wrong in the past.

the music is nice and feels good after a day's work, but turning it on and just listening to the rain sounds tempting; i might give it a try later tonight.

However i feel i need to complain about the storytelling. the way the story is told, actually. those texts seem to be quite forced, and happened a couple of times to be forced to stop running and go back 2-3 steps just for the text to trigger again so i can read it

overall, i'd say it's a fun game to enjoy every now and then, but NOT in a rush. and certainly not finish it in a day!

I hoped it would be up there with Journey. But sadly imo, its not quiet up there. The game is extremely well written. And the soundtrack is so good. Fits perfectly with the game. But the puzzles were a bit too easy. But I kinda get why. People tend to give up on games, if they cant figure out the puzzles fast. The entire atmosphere in the game is really good.

It's a pretty great game. It certainly is a unique experience and something different from other games. Shame if people are missing out on it, just cause of the "No Platinum Trophy" crap.

I hoped it would be up there with Journey. But sadly imo, its not quiet up there. The game is extremely well written. And the soundtrack is so good. Fits perfectly with the game. But the puzzles were a bit too easy. But I kinda get why. People tend to give up on games, if they cant figure out the puzzles fast. The entire atmosphere in the game is really good.

It's a pretty great game. It certainly is a unique experience and something different from other games. Shame if people are missing out on it, just cause of the "No Platinum Trophy" crap.

Not having a trophy but rather a simple list was a reason I enjoyed it even more. I got to play it once, then chapter select for the memories, and now will play through it again next week, because it does relax me quite a bit, despite the few intense sections.

Hi, Still on chapter 3 (didn't have time this morning to play more. it was released in Europe today). So far looks interesting. It definitely seems short (took like 1h to beat almost 3 chapters and you just run through them most of the time). Even soundtrack is just 2 songs. But I like the atmosphere and will see what the end will be. Music is also amazing. I have encountered some rather annoying bugs, but it's an indie game anyway. So far I like the game more than Unfinished Swan that was a total disappointment for me.

Ok, I got 100% on the game yesterday and I was disappointed.

- Thank you for completing the game. And now, for no reason at all, you will have to replay the whole game again just to collect some orbs.

- But I didn't like the game. I don't want to play it anymore!

- Who cares!? We know that you are a trophy whore, so you will go for 100%. And to make even harder for you - we are not going to show collectibles for you!

Like seriously, did they have to do it like this!? I like exploration, so I already visited like 80% of the places where orbs where just hoping to find something. The game could become more interesting if player could collect stuff along the way. Instead it felt like designers were out of ideas and just to make game double as long and motivate the price - they force you to play it over again. Remove the music from the game and turn off the rain - and the game will be just a tech demo. Same like Unfinished Swan. I was hoping for ICO-like game with Journey feel, but it was just an interesting concept that wasn't developed properly. I liked the music and atmosphere of the game but it's not enough. It's not a screen-saver or dynamic theme... Now I totally understand poor reviews as well as low score for this game and I do agree with them. I would rate it 6 out of 10. Game is not worth 15$ and it is dissapointing, that something that looked so nice and promising during presentations turned out to be like this.

Edited by pilkjaer

I agree with pilkjaer. Aside from disappointingly being a rather bad game, not allowing to find the memories on the first run terminates what little sense of exploration there might have been. And it doesn't even make sense because those memories don't add much to the story afterwards.

It's like they just had this genious idea of swapping light vs darkness with dry vs. wet and then didn't know what to do with it aside from supersimple did it all before in thousand other games instead of actually making use of what could've made the game special.

Also, it's super short.

The game is very straight forward. You'll run, walk, or climb most of the game, along with some simple puzzles, and no face to face combat. Halfway through, you'll eventually be lead by the AI character. The "memories" are easily found on the second play by going back to the areas you explored on your first playthrough, but, at that time, found nothing there.

I think the game would have been better if you could have found the "memories" on your first playthrough. It's that information from the memories that added a tiny bit more to the story, the reason why all of this had happened. But that would have made the game even shorter.

Below, in the spoiler, are the text for those memories I typed up... if you'd like to look them over again for the fun of it.

[spoiler=4599]>CHAPTER 1

01: Daybreak[spoiler=4545]

"He was born on a bright, clear morning...

Both hands grasped the sun...

And in them he felt the world's existence..."

02: Dusk[spoiler=4546]

"She was born under a setting sun...

The kindly brightness of its rays filled her room...

And she felt that the night would never come...

03:The Town's Memories[spoiler=4547]

"The town remembered both the dawn and the setting of the sun...

It knew that even behind the blinding brightness of the day...

Lurks the darkness of night...

>CHAPTER 2

04: The Big Wide World

[spoiler=4548]

"The world in which he lived was small...

But he was able to move through it as he pleased...

In this, he felt pleasing confinement... He felt safety..."

05: The Faraway World

[spoiler=4549]

"She was forever staring from her window...

It framed the world outside like a picture...

And strangely, she never tired of it..."

06: Premonitions

[spoiler=4550]

"The town looked on uneasily...

From far off, the night pressed inward...

Eager to consume the two completely..."

>CHAPTER 3

07: A Face in Profile

[spoiler=4551]

"He sat in the square, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the circus...

A hat fluttered down in the air before him...

And in a window, he briefly saw her face..."

08: The Wind

[spoiler=4552]

"She toyed idly with her new hat...

The wind took it, and blew it into the square below...

It was then that she saw him sitting there..."

09: A Meeting

[spoiler=4553]

"The town set in motion a gentle breeze...

So that the two of them might meet...

So that they would not be lost alone..."

>CHAPTER 4

10: Metamorphosis

[spoiler=4554]

"He did not know...

That she could not come to the circus...

That for her, the dawn would never come..."

11: Little Lost Child

[spoiler=4555]

"She was lost, alone...

No matter where she wandered... No matter who she looked for...

There was nothing but the empty night..."

12: A Landscape

[spoiler=4556]

"The town lost sight of her...

Her face, such a familiar part of the landscape...

Was now nowhere to be seen..."

>CHAPTER 5

13: A Presence

[spoiler=4557]

"He, too, took to staring from his window...

The music that drifted gently to him on the wind...

Soothed his troubled soul..."

14: Vanishing Shadows

[spoiler=4558]

"She began to forget all that she had known...

In an attempt to remember, to claw back her lost memories...

She tried to make her way back to the people she knew were waiting for her..."

15: Welcoming the Rain

[spoiler=4559]

"The town welcomed the rain...

Though the unceasing downpour deepened the girl's loneliness...

Without it, she would never remember the truth..."

>CHAPTER 6

16: Into the Night

[spoiler=4560]

"The boy, too, was swallowed by the night...

And though the darkness washed away his very being...

He took no notice, and went after her into its depths..."

17: A Beacon

[spoiler=4561]

"She saw a beacon... A light to guide her out of the darkness...

But she would not escape from the night alone...

They would seek the dawn together..."

18: A Shadow Appears

[spoiler=4562]

"The town continued to pour down rain upon them...

So that she would not lose her way...

So that he might find her..."

>CHAPTER 7

19: The Darkness

[spoiler=4563]

"The darkness pursued him... Tried to engulf him...

The night began to seep into the cracks in his heart...

It began to control him..."

20: Behind the Night

[spoiler=4564]

"She finally became aware of the night's true nature...

They would never escape it by running...

They must chase it out, so that their own night might return..."

21: The Light

[spoiler=4565]

"The town was being turned against them...

Not even the light of the moon reached that forsaken place now...

But still it fought to give them a glimpse of the dawn..."

>CHAPTER 8

22: Awakenings

[spoiler=4566]

"The girl brought an end to the night...

Though it meant that she must remain in the darkness...

She did what she knew she must in order to awaken him..."

23: Awaiting the Dawn

[spoiler=4567]

"She waited patiently for him to arrive...

The dark and lonely night through which they had run...

Was rich with the silence of the coming of the day..."

24: Daybreak

[spoiler=4568]

"The town had only to watch over them now...

The rain had finally abated...

And the two were lost no longer..."

I think the game was a little over-priced. Though I will admit I was hoping for something on the level of Journey. Two player co-op might have made the game a bit more fun; and added a couple of trophies to list, as well.

This is a C.A.M.P game. It's where games like Trash Panic and Tokyo Jungle came from...

Playstation C.A.M.P (Company) - Giant Bomb

"This program is open to anyone residing in Japan and allows gaming enthusiasts who want to get into the games development / designing industry to submit their unique ideas to PlayStation C.A.M.P which could then be developed into games for the PlayStation 3 or PSP.

Two concepts that eventually became PSN games are Trash Panic and Tokyo Jungle."

Edited by Draghaughts

"This program is open to anyone residing in Japan and allows gaming enthusiasts who want to get into the games development / designing industry to submit their unique ideas to PlayStation C.A.M.P which could then be developed into games for the PlayStation 3 or PSP.

Two concepts that eventually became PSN games are Trash Panic and Tokyo Jungle."

Thanks for posting the memories. I didn't even bothered to read them. It was no point to do so after the game was already completed.

Tokyo Jungle was a really cool game and I found it super fun (still need to complete it). It was a good idea with good implementation. And it works via Remote Play on PS Vita. This makes it even better.

Rain on the other hand - just stayed as good idea. After playing Flower and Journey I never underestimate "short" games. It doesn't need to be a AAA title to be good (ex. Assassin's Creed Liberation on PS Vita is such a bugged rubbish). But it needs something more. Something that gets deep into your heart and mess with your emotions. I have no words to describe the way I felt when I play Journey and I completed the whole Journey with the same guy without saying a word. It was really once in a lifetime experience and it makes that game really special. Rain just starts as an interesting idea and when you are almost ready to dive in - nothing happens. It just stays flat. And you get slap in you face in the end with one more unplanned and totally irrelevant playthrough.

Thanks for posting the memories. I didn't even bothered to read them. It was no point to do so after the game was already completed.

... Rain on the other hand - just stayed as good idea. After playing Flower and Journey I never underestimate "short" games. ...

You're welcome on the text for the memories. I have to admit, though I read them, I really didn't take the time to give them much thought, either. I was kinda wondering why I had to go through the motions, just to get this bit of info (and of course to round out the trophies).

Don't want to turn this into a thatgamecompany thread, but, yes, Journey is the game that makes the possibilities for a short game worth looking into. It's one of my favorite games. I want more of this game. Everything about it, just came together perfectly. Journey and rain are the only two games I've preordered on PSN. Both games cost the same initially; maybe why I hoped on rain.

Just out of curiosity, here's the games C.A.M.P. has done so far:

Echochrome (PSP, PS3)

Trash Panic (PS3)

What Did I Do to Deserve this, My Lord? (PSP)

Patchwork Heroes (PSP)

Tokyo Jungle (PS3)

Open Me! (Vita)

Rain (PS3)

...so far.

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. It's not perfect, of course; if you wanted perfect, you'd be paying $60 for some AAA developer's product. For what it's worth, the story was great (though I wonder if it should have gone the Ico route and avoided text altogether), the music is phenomenal (though it repeats too often in the middle chapters), and the puzzles last only as long as they need to to progress you to the next scene or chase. And if you didn't feel your chest tighten during the chase scenes of the last two chapters, well, I don't know what's wrong with you. It's a 9/10 for me.

I liked the game, despite the fact that it's somewhat short. The price tag is typical for an independent game on PSN, and for the 4-5 hours you'll spend playing it's not a bad deal.

The game itself is very nice and you progress quickly without having to bang your head against the wall trying to figure out some fiendishly complex problem. The graphics and music are great and while the game probably could have been better, I can't say that I have many complaints.

All in all, a good way to spend a few hours of non-stressful gaming.

Yes it's a little short & I agree that this should have been cheaper than the $15 price tag, but I am glad I picked it up.

I first saw this @ E3 & immediately said I wanted to play it, hence the pre-order.

I love the game though. Quite an enjoyable experience.

Now Back to playing Beyond: Two Souls. :drool:

I played this at PAX Prime at the end of August, and immediately loved it. It's most definately worth the relatively small price tag. The soundtrack is simply stunning, and the story just pulls you in. I thought it was a fantastic game. I really enjoyed it, but I agree I wish there was a little more to it.

It's a cute, sweet, easy and touching little game. The music is absolutely great, subtle and not overdone.

It's not fancy with a lot of bells, colors and whistles, but wins me over with it's simplicity.

I didn't mind having to go through it a second time for collecting the memories, which I did without any help. (If I can do it, everybody can.)

Love this game.

Finished it tonight, I thought it was a lovely, elegant and simple game. The story was nice and the soundtrack great. My first complaint was the ladders. I respect the simplicity of a puzzle, but I'm kinda tired of lifting my partner up and having them drop a ladder/rope/whatever down for me in games. It was something that oddly kinda broke the emotional immersion for me. It's also an immediate "pointer" ("Hey look a ladder over there that isn't touching the ground, I'm obviously going that way").

My second complaint, that I think someone mentioned before, was the text. More often than not it was great, but at times I felt it was too descriptive, and breaking the moment. Get out of the way, I'm watching the actual events. And in the end, I would have preferred the text, like the game, in an overlay form on the ending scenes instead of constantly switching back and forth.

But, those two rather small nitpicks aside, I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought it, haven't had time to play it yet but I hope to do so soon. I heard it was good.

EDIT 11/15/13: I played through it, fun game and pretty easy for the most part. Nice to play a game where the A.I. ally isn't a dumb ass for once. :D

Edited by Tiberius

• 3 weeks later...