Five finger fillet - pause cheat defined

The Captain

After having spent probably 3 hours or so trying to get this dam, stupid trophy I feel I should explain in better detail how the 'cheat' works.

As probably all know, there are five rounds. The first four have exactly the same pattern, increasing with speed each time. You might be able to do these rounds without the cheat, but it took me about an hour to succesfully beat the first four rounds over and over, practice, practice paid off in the end. The fifth round is always random and the pattern you get varies each time in difficulty, I came across at least one pattern where the highlight marker went to the next finger five/six times in a row. Its just too quick to do legit, I commend anyone who can do it properly. Could be the time you done it the pattern happened to be an easy one, and you succeeded and had lady luck on your side. But for most people, its near impossible, especially if you don't want to spend hours and hours of frustrating gameplay, unable to plant that knife in Abbott's forehead or other suitable gruesome end..

So anyway, you can use the cheat all the way through or just get as far as you can on your own then use the cheat for the rest.

I've read all the posts floating about, and they don't define what they mean. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what they were saying. Start + X, or X + Start, whatever it didn't work out.

What you have to do, is once the knife is in the area that is next to be hit, slam down start & X at exactly the same time. I used two thumbs for this, found it the easiest way. So if successful, the game is paused and the knife went down between the fingers. You can see the next place where the knife is going to have to go, take as much time as you like.

If the next area is the next finger along, you need to tap X, then almost immediately slam your thumbs down again to hit the marker. If the spacing is further away, obviously you have more time and makes it easier for you. So rinse and repeat until you get all 32 markers owned. Is helpful to count as you go along, up to you. The split second you are sure the knife will come down between the fingers, slam your Start & X buttons as if they were the same button, timing must be precise at the same time, not a microsecond apart.

So the equation is Start + X , (pause - view next marker) X

Its still not simple to do and will take some practice, and the last X you press when coming off of pause is key, as you need to time the next thumbs down on buttons spot on. Try the game over and over, chances are you will get an easier pattern at round 5 if not successful to begin with. The cheat does take some practice to pull off, but compared to the real deal, the cheat is in a different galaxy of difficulty compared to doing it legit..

P.s I know there are other threads/posts already on this, but without starting a new thread it gets lost in pages and pages of forum waffle and is hard for people to find. I posted the original RDR five finger fillet solution as a post, only for it to be copied over and over and lost into nothingness lol. So hence a thread for people to find easily. I don't take any credit for the Start + X technique, only a defined explanation of how it works as I'm sure lots of people don't get how it works. Congrats on whoever discovered this method!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well explained, kudos on that, but just like you i still find it difficult to master. I only tried once for this trophy for about 20 min and i am ashamed to say i never got past round4, damn! It takes a lot of precision/coordination to hit start/x at the right spot or else it's very ez to screw up and need to start again.

I will try it again at some point and i hope i'll be calmer or it could cost me a controller and/or a led tv lol.

So ef the minigames annoying as hell!

Btw i played the 5ff in RDR and got the trophy for it and i think it's much manageable, at least for me.

Just got it by using this method on rounds 4 and 5! YEEES! Took me around 20 min and i did it exactly how u said!

Edited by Un4given

I don't know if anyone has done this legit, but the pause cheat is the only way that I would have ever gotten this trophy. I counted about 30 hits and I just don't see how its possible to do without assistance.

p.s. Rage has to be the biggest dissapointment i've had since I realized that was it for my growth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks so much to OP. The key is really to press both buttons at the same time. This gives you so much more time than to first press X and then start. Made it on the first try after countless tries without the cheat and after some tries with the wrong timing. Thanks again.

Cheers for the tip really helped with the final round.

I had the first 4 rounds down to perfect everytime but the minute the random round can it was all over. The one I finally did it on had so many next to each other it was annoying I tried it legit untill my last try then I thought I'd use this method and it worked a charm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll say that it certainly did work, as I had probably tried round 5 at least 10+ times with 15 stabs being my best. using this method I got it first try (the I tried legit twice and the pause trick as normal every other time) There are roughly 32 stabs I believe as shown in the vid and a huge thing is to just focus on each upcoming stab and take a quick breather if you need to (man that sounds dumb for a game but hell I've done it plenty in MLB).

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant!!! After wot seemed like ages tryin to do round 5 "normally", just used ur excellent description an finished it 2nd time of tryin. Just need to win a race 4 the platy. For anyone else stuck on this sooo annoying trophy I wud say deffo try this "cheat", it works. Thanx again.

Hey all, I just wanted to let you all know that I have finally found our saviour for this trophy! Her name is Angela...

She has never played a game in her life and has only heard about this mini game and say's that it is sooo easy and that she can do it no problem! She says that she cannot believe that this was even considered hard for any of us!

Let's also not forget that she never even attempted to try this game, let alone any game that resembles this game!

Does anyone have anything that they would like to say to Angela?

Post it!

This is not a joke...I cannot get this damn trophy no matter what I do. But I got this smart ass friend who thinks she can do anything! Help me prove my point to her that this is no joke!

Edited by gmorra

Amazing thank you. Only trophy that was threatening the plat attempt. I struggled on round 4 most of the time, had to do the pause thing on that on a few occasions with the ones close together.

Found that the right timing for me when they were next to each other was to press start+x as soon as I saw the knife lift off the table after resuming from the previous pause.