Mission 23 on Hard (is a pain in the.....)

BigPoppaT777

You know when you feel like throwing your controller at the screen?

For the life of me i just cant seem to beat this stage!

Ive done the campaign on easy and then redone all stages except the last one (23) on hard - one more blooming level for 2 trophies! Aaaargh!

I just seem to get overrun virtually straight away - ive even tried watching someone do it on youtube but the strategy doesnt seem to work for me. There seems to be far less enemies on the youtube runthrough than when i play it.

If anyone has any pointers for a tired, frustrated man then please leave them here!

I had a hard time as well until I found out how to beat it the easy way.

At the start of the mission simply build 1 Siegfried Blockhaus Bunker each at the south and west bases while they are still held by the allied AI. You will need to use 1 Blitz on the western sector as this is some distance for the truck to drive, also place the bunkers strategically well enough too not allow the AI to capture any buildings whatsoever. This will ensure that any and all enemy paratroopers fall or walk into their deaths. And don't worry, the bunkers will never be targeted by anything during the mission.

With this strategy you only have to place 1 or 2 bunkers in the close vicinity of your town in case some infantry might trickle in which I believe it will iirc, however just keep Camouflage up when bombers arrive until you're sufficiently covered by anti-air units (which should consist of 3-4 Wirbelwinds and when you can afford, as many 88's. 2 88's should be place asap as close to the small woods just north of your town.

I don't recommend throwing all off your resources on AA defence at the start but most should go into it. Try and get an artilley/anti-air base up pretty fast too for some PaK 40's (at least 5 and up to 10 to be safe).

There is no need at all to build armour as the JS tanks available from start is enough coupled with ATG's in the north forest. You do need to micromanage them in the beginning from not being overwhelmed as well as look for assault guns possibly aiming for your ATG's (an issue I first discovered later on was that the border for the northern sector from your base in fact go through the middle of the forest. If not careful it's easy to place your guns just enough north to not have them covered by Radio Silence which in turn makes them a target).

Somewhere in between when you feel safe enough that your northern front and air space is secured build at least 1 administrative building (aim for 2-3) and build an airport (JU 87's only along with 1 recon). Have these flown over to the west base ASAP as it will get hit hard (use appropriate ruses as Terror and Radio Silence).

Perhaps not the best walk-through but hopefully you'll understand what to do. As mentioned by building the 2 bunkers early on you practically only have to focus north while building AA units and getting your economy up.

Oh and when the Long Tom arrives just put it close to the bunker and have all the nearby troops clear the path towards your base. Once at your base you can finish the mission in minutes unless you want some payback that is.;)

Edited by Mellenthin

...Oh and when the Long Tom arrives just put it close to the bunker and have all the nearby troops clear the path towards your base. Once at your base you can finish the mission in minutes unless you want some payback that is.;)

I would highly recommend farming this level for as much XP as you can (and the level before it). You can only play the campaign through three times (once per difficulty) to harvest XP, and you can get the last level into a state where you can essentially put the controller down and leave it gaining XP...

Once you have the long tom, you can destroy everything on the map (except the HQ itself - you can nuke all the production buildings down the side though). You might need to send some surplus units on a suicide run to free up slots. This will work better if you haven't spammed bunkers.

When the map is yours, the enemy will continuously spawn a stack of tanks that will move across the front of the HQ, over a bridge and try to go around the edge of the map to come in your base from the side. Park a line of 5 or 6 tank destroyers between your base and the HQ, just far away so that the enemy doesn't engage. You will also need recon - I'd recommend air as he won't have anti air (although there are a load of towed guns in the various forests around the HQ). Then put 15 or so rocket trucks behind the tank destroyers. These will pick off the armoured recon that lingers as his tank stack runs into...

Put AT guns (4-6) in the trees over the bridge, just south of his western airfield. Also, if you haven't destroyed that airfield, you can farm a bit more XP: put 3 wirbelwinds south of it and a Puma right next to it. The puma will shoot most planes before they take off, but the odd one might get out.

I had this set up and left it. But the game crashed when my score was at 51k, so be warned. This is a good way to get XP though, as all the end of match bonuses are based on your score. I farmed this for 2 hours before and went from level 77 to 84 in one result screen lol.

Edited by InfiniteStates

• 9 months later...

heh i bought this game for coop fun but it seems hardly anyone is still playing and those missions, im already stuck on mission 4, when you need to protect the city in the desert that is a fake and you need to get a set amount of points, all of a suddent after i destroy the anti tank pilboxes a massive army comes rushing and i cant do anything against it... sigh. (and im even playing on easy, when this happened i was like wtf.. i had little trouble playing red alert 3 on hard but this is just so overwhelming man, it was like 30 tanks and 10 units of soldiers weaves through em... i cant beat that for god sake)