How difficult are the time goals?

dcdfan

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. A few are super easy, and most of them take a few tries to figure out the optimal approach...but there are a bunch of really hard ones. I'm taking a break from QC until I feel like tackling the hard ones again.

One tip: don't even worry about shift goals and no deaths -- meaning, don't bother going after those trophies separately before attempting time goals. You can hardly beat goal time if you die or use too many shifts, so those will come naturally.

• 2 months later...
Agreed. A few are super easy, and most of them take a few tries to figure out the optimal approach...but there are a bunch of really hard ones. I'm taking a break from QC until I feel like tackling the hard ones again.

One tip: don't even worry about shift goals and no deaths -- meaning, don't bother going after those trophies separately before attempting time goals. You can hardly beat goal time if you die or use too many shifts, so those will come naturally.

Some maps (especially the time shift ones) are faster with more shifts so that's not true at all. I actually found alot of maps faster with more shifts, though if you do the time runs first and then the shifts you'll probably have less shift goals you need to meet, but shifts are pretty easy to do the first time around. Also one time I died because I just missed a jump but the checkpoint saved so I could reload the checkpoint and not lose any time.

Some maps (especially the time shift ones) are faster with more shifts so that's not true at all...

You said it better than I did.

What I was after is that it's a waste of time to try to get all the shift goals, then go back and do no deaths, then go back and do time goals. If you focus on time goals, most of the shift and no death goals seem to take care of themselves.

Your mileage may vary.

So, do the checkpoints save your current time? So, for example, let's say by the time you hit a checkpoint you have 50 seconds, if I continue and then restart from that checkpoint, will it start from 50 seconds?

I'm like the guy who opened the thread, I hate speedruns and this game is very tight with the timeframes. I'm stuck at "A Fluffly Journey of Enlightenment", the goal is 100 seconds and I can't get it any lower than 106, despite doing everything I saw in the youtube videos.

Help!

• 4 weeks later...
So, do the checkpoints save your current time? So, for example, let's say by the time you hit a checkpoint you have 50 seconds, if I continue and then restart from that checkpoint, will it start from 50 seconds?

I'm like the guy who opened the thread, I hate speedruns and this game is very tight with the timeframes. I'm stuck at "A Fluffly Journey of Enlightenment", the goal is 100 seconds and I can't get it any lower than 106, despite doing everything I saw in the youtube videos.

Help!

Okay, you know when he drops the couch onto the fan so he can ride it up to the top floor? He decided not to hit the button until after he dropped the couch. Hit the button. You will have enough time to grab the couch, drop it over the edge and then do a "faith jump" onto it from where you dropped it. You should land on it while it is already on its way up. I just beat it and got 98.01 seconds which is pretty fast thanks to that one trick I used. I don't use that weird jump grab that he does so I had to improvise elsewhere ;). This really takes me back to the original Portal and its super hard time runs. Some of those took me hours upon hours to beat and so far none of these have taken more than 10 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
These sound brutal, and it might be what keeps me from buying this :| I don't need to have 100% to enjoy it...but it's in my nature to try get them all...I just don't want to be cursing at my tv due to impossible times. If only I had PS+ to get it free :p

I just finished these today. For the most part they are easy, you can't expect all of them to be like that however, but like everything else practice does make perfect. The guide on the site is very well done and provides excellent videos which will help you earn both trophies for the Shift Challenges and Speed Challenges. Some may test your patience, but they are far from impossible.

Edited by Salvation

I just finished these today. For the most part they are easy, you can't expect all of them to be like that however, but like everything else practice does make perfect. The guide on the site is very well done and provides excellent videos which will help you earn both trophies for the Shift Challenges and Speed Challenges. Some may test your patience, but they are far from impossible.

Ah that's a relief to hear, just sifting through this forum I was getting nervous. Haha. As I've said before, I don't need to be 100% but if I can, I do like to go for it. Thanks for the input! I think I may have to pick this up tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on it (I think I have 90% completion) but they're not too bad. I actually managed to get the #1 spot on the leaderboard for one of the maps so far and I got 3rd, 4th and 5th on a bunch of others.

There's a great very helpful thread on the steam site or something with world record times and shifts on every level all with youtube videos. They're all on PC but most of them still work on consoles too.

Edited by solstice

• 1 year later...

The trophies for Goal Times and Shift Goals are nice and Rare, so getting them was frustrating but in the end it was rewarding.

Now the DLC Goal Times are a different story. The trophies for the two DLC goal times are both common at about 51% on PSNP but I can't seem to get them so I guess I am one of the 99 or so people who played the DLC who failed at achieving them so far. But I will.

• 4 months later...

Just finished the time trials and shift goals. I found some of them quite hard, and I'd say if you really aren't good with timed goals, you will have a lot of trouble. Some of them require very, very precise timing and if you're even 1 second off, you will miss it. The good thing is most of them are under a minute so you get plenty of quick retries. Very frustrating at times, but fun.

Collectible 11 is a fucking bitch to get btw and harder than most timed trials lol.

• 3 months later...