Why so little interest?

BlueTigerCub

I'm just wondering why there seems to be so little traffic for this game on this site and on the web in general? I haven't even seen anyone on my friends list playing this. As soon as I heard about this game at E3 last year I couldn't wit for it to come out. I mean, who here didn't enjoy Portal and wasn't craving some more first person puzzling action?

I know this game isn't as polished as Portal and certainly isn't perfect (e.g. imprecise and floaty jumping) but the puzzle mechanics mixed with some platforming is a lot of fun. That said, I'm not sure I can be bothered to go back through the levels to achieve all the speed, shift and no death goals.

£8.79 seems a small price to pay for a little more portal-esque fun, and if you're in any doubt - just stump up the cash and buy it - you won't regret it.

Here's hoping the DLC is reasonably priced... :whistle:

...with a plus discount would be great...

Edited by BlueTigerCub

though I didn't know of the game till I tried the demo, I must agree with you. taking the price into consideration, you get many hours of fun and challenges.

I actually found it very fun to see in what other ways I could solve the puzzle. using different dimension, or see if I could use less shifts than in previous tries.

I'm sure I'll get it at some point. I love puzzlers. I've been a bit put off by the fact the game had 2 DLC packs preplanned. For over £10 and only 8 hours or so of gameplay I think the DLC should have been part of the game.

I'll just wait until everything is out and get it in a bundle deal later down the line.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sure I'll get it at some point. I love puzzlers. I've been a bit put off by the fact the game had 2 DLC packs preplanned. For over £10 and only 8 hours or so of gameplay I think the DLC should have been part of the game.

I'll just wait until everything is out and get it in a bundle deal later down the line.

The DLC does indeed put people off, at least it did to me as well. It should have been part of the game since for the price asked even if not much 8 hours or so isn't a lot.

I mourn every little awesome PSN game that practically vanishes into thin air shortly after being relesed due to little interest to it (*sniff* I'll always remember you Outland).

This game is good, however it suffers from the same problem as most indie/PSN games - there's just not enough buzz about it, so for most people it goes unnoticed.

I too heard about QC a long time ago when it was just announced, however if it were not for my habit of checking the demo section every week, I would have completely missed it. There are no ads for it, no articles, no reviews, no nothing. So it's little surprise that most people either ignore it or just don't notice it.

For those who's not played the DLC yet. Desmond Debacle cost something like 1.5 pounds, but was not worth it - it only added 6 new levels no new mechanics and the level design was somewhat iffy. Oh, and the titular Desomnd only appeard in only 2 levels =\ All in all, the DLC screamed "cash in" to me.

Edited by purifico

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So is it worth picking up, now that it's in the deals section for $7.49? I saw something on this in the last year and actually forgot about it (like some of the others in this post) until seeing it now on PSN for half off...but seeing as there is/will be DLC it makes me wonder if I should wait for all the DLC, buy it now, or just pass all together. I don't have ps+. Any input would be nice. I already appreciate what was said above. I loved portal and portal 2, so naturally another puzzler sounds like a good thing too me. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't argue with free via PS+. It's a wonderful game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I think this went mostly unknown because of the awful name. "Portal" makes sense. "Quantum Conundrum" may make sense once you're in the game, but it's terrible at enticing people to give it a try.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
It was made by one of Portal's creators as far as I know. So just a random bonus :)

It isn't a 'random' bonus... It's a bonus... not super random as Square Enix published both Tomb Raider and Quantum Conundrum.

I got this game free of PS+... I can't say that I enjoyed it all that much. I loved Portal and Portal 2... Correction... I LOVE Portal and Portal 2... I'm a huge fan of puzzlers, but this one had some suspect map layouts. There's a difference between being clever and frustrating cuz the system mechanics (floaty throw, untrustworthy jumping) causes you to fail. And I didn't care much for the story / characters (which was a cool aspect of Portal)...

I've been looking forward to this game since I heard about it at E3... Been wanting to try it... And I'm extremely glad / grateful that PS+ has allowed me to do so, but I must say that I won't be buying the dlc (cheap cash-in) and I won't be returning to it anytime soon...

• 3 months later...

I got this game free of PS+... I can't say that I enjoyed it all that much. I loved Portal and Portal 2... Correction... I LOVE Portal and Portal 2... I'm a huge fan of puzzlers, but this one had some suspect map layouts. There's a difference between being clever and frustrating cuz the system mechanics (floaty throw, untrustworthy jumping) causes you to fail. And I didn't care much for the story / characters (which was a cool aspect of Portal)...

I've been looking forward to this game since I heard about it at E3... Been wanting to try it... And I'm extremely glad / grateful that PS+ has allowed me to do so, but I must say that I won't be buying the dlc (cheap cash-in) and I won't be returning to it anytime soon...

I feel this post gives a good example of why this game doesn't get a lot of traffic. I sought out this game when it was released because of the presentation at E3 in 2011 and the name involved related to Portal, and I enjoyed the experience but raged at the games mechanics that made getting goal times (needed for 100% of the base game as well as both DLCs) was made much more difficult. Bad spacial mapping and POV/spacial differences make knowing exactly when and where to jump/throw/shift, etc. difficult and frustrating. Its a First Person Physics Puzzle game with the weirdest and--at times--totally contradictory physics!

When it began being given away, first on PS+, than bundled with Tomb Raider, the game got a lot more players into the game and made my Goal Time, Shift Time, and No Death trophies all the more Rare :D because so many people played through some or most of it but couldn't be bothered to get the hardest of the trophies because they just didn't care or couldn't fine the patience.

The DLC is a different story. It seems the die hard fans (by PSNPs estimates this number is around 272 players for Desmond Debacle and 175 for IKE-Aramba) who actually bought and played the DLC have finished most of the five trophies in each of the two offerings, with a third of them getting 100% for Desmond Debacle and half for IKE-Aramba. I will finally be one of the 100 or so who have 100% this game and its DLC tonight (hopefully) and I only do so as an OCD completionist because I could do without the hours of stress this shoddy game with cheap mechanics and weird physics has put me through.

• 6 months later...

LOL, I guess it just depends on personal opinion. I think, the reason why this game got so little interest, is that you have to actually use your brain sometimes to get through levels. I never played puzzle games, but I personally liked this game a lot. I do not understand either why people say the physics are "weird" and "contradictory", they completely make sense and do their "job". The level design is indeed questionable sometimes, like the third level of the Desmond DLC, but all in all the levels are very creatively designed and I enjoyed playing them. Combined with the nice soundtracks, and the crazy prof telling you his stories, a nice game.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...