"Tournament failed"?

SoPoF

• 3 weeks later...

Same here. Twice now.

I did some quick checking on the dev's game site, but found nothing. I'm guessing it's some rule that's taken for granted. The only thing I notice is that is usually happens in the endgame, when I'm chasing the King down to try for a checkmate. Maybe it's a limit of the number of moves per game?

Anyway, I've posted the question on the dev's forum. I'll update if they answer me.

Edited by davebgimp
update

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm just spit ballin' here, but could it say "Tournament Failed" because of a draw? That would lead to both players losing, right?

Ok guys, I just replayed the tutorials and found out the correct terminology for the "draw". It is called a stalemate. "Stalemates commonly occur in the endgame, when few pieces are left on the board. Care should be taken to prevent an accidental stalemate." Hope this helps. I have officially finished the tournaments. (Thank God!)

Edited by belldandy47
correction

Ok, according to Wikipedia there are three different ways to "Draw" a match. By stalemate, threefold repetition, and the fifty-move rule. Read: Draw (chess) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also for an example on how to stalemate (and probably how it is happening to you), see diagram labeled "example of stalemate" at the top of the page: Stalemate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope this helps!

It might not seem fair but disabling an opponent like that is a stalemate, that's just how chess goes

Frxn is correct, you must Mate with still allowing the opponent's king a place to move. However, if he was to move then he would still be in check.

• 1 year later...

A stalemate is when you put your opponent in a position where he can't move any piece but at the same time he is not in check. If he were in check and his next move could not get him out of check, then that is the checkmate.

So my guess is you are either stalemating your opponent or getting to the 50 move rule. A stalemate, like was already said, results as a draw...meaning no one has won...meaning the tournament has failed because you have to win every game.

• 1 month later...

I got tournament failed when I captured my opponents second last piece (it was a pawn) and left him with only the King. His King wasn't surrounded as he still had plenty of room to move it, but I'm not sure if this is classed as a stalemate. I now make sure my opponent still has pieces other than just the King left.

Edit: I should note that I was playing the PS3 version of the game as I haven't played the Vita version yet, but the rules should be the same for both versions.

Edited by stevieboy1975