Punisher - Review

Shinfo

Your Views on the game  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your Views on the game

• Awful
    • Average
    • Amazing

I enjoyed writing the terminator review so much i thought i'd keep it going :)

Story: 7/10

The main storyline is unbeleviably short (4 levels if i remember correctly) But has a nice element to it, and actually fits quite nicely into the whole Unreal tournament feel to the gameplay. The comic cut scenes actually make the story a lot more unique and shows the attention to detail that i would expect from such a huge comic franchise tie-in.

Gameplay: 5/10

This is where i felt the game fell short; For 6 pounds off the PSN, i wasn't expecting another call of duty 4, but for Unreal tournament going for close to the same price now, i expected something similar, And i really did not get that. The (almost archaic) non-regenerative health system seems to be more of an annoyance than its unreal counterpart. And sometimes. the actual combat leaves me scratching my head at what just happened. The mid fight upgrading of guns is fun and gives you a bit more joy as you run around with a fully upgraded rifle or rocket launcher.

Controls: 8/10

Standard shooter controls, even has a Call of duty esque imitation setting so you do not have to memorize another set of controls for yet another FPS. No problems here.

Graphics: 4/10

To me, the graphics are a massive let down in this game, The levels are quite nice looking with some water effects glistening away in the background, but still...characters have no fluidity and seem like akward, stiff models floating around firing at you. But again, for 6 pound, you get what you pay for.

Sound: 1/10

Ouch, this is a major letdown in the game. The voice acting is simply terrible, with actor's voices simply not matching their in game persona's. The same 3 quotes are blurted out at sporadic intervals per match and seem to just be stuck on loop. The music is a generic rock/metal loop (badly) designed to incite a bit of Metal fuelled adrenaline into your deathmatches, sadly it comes out as just annoying.

Wow Factor: 2/10

When i found out the game was out i was expecting a big wow...I only got a very very small wow, withing 5 minutes of playing, i was instantly anti-wowed. Even after multiple plays, It goes up maybe one notch of wow, and sits there comfortably watching the proceedings.

Replay Value: 6/10

I gave this a 6 simply because of the online features and the weapon upgrades will make you keep playing and playing. Sadly the story mode is a one play though wonder which again, is a shame as they could have done more with that. And the trophies and in game achievements will make you want to play it a bit more.

Multiplayer Experience: 6/10

It's an unreal tournament spin-off, fundamentally it's going to be good online. And it is fun; The other guns are so stupidly long to get, its rare to find someone who is not on the same level as you in terms of gear, and even then, you can just gang up on them (Good old online playing ethics) But on a serious note, it's not great, but its not bad aswell.

Rent Or Buy This Game? N/A

Seeing as renting isn't an option, give it a buy, 6 pound is what, A few beers? If your a Punisher fan, you may be happy to make that sacrifice.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: 5/10

This game is all out average, there is no other word for it. Punisher fans (like me) will buy it for the characters (all pulled out from the punisher universe) and the fact it is a Punisher based first person shooter where you can finally put a bullet in Barracuda's face one and for all. But non-Punisher fans will see this as another Sub-par Online shooter and then will find them asking themselves "Now where did i leave Unreal?" But for 6 quid, you cant really go wrong.

Thanks :) Yeah i do agree, it looses its appeal quite quickly . Kinda helps if you got mates who play it on multiplayer i guess. The best thing tho has to be the attention to detail on the story characters. But sadly this game could have been a lot more.