PS4 System Update 2.00 Details

Archavia

PS4 system software 2.00 preview: USB Music Player, new Home screen colours, more - PlayStation.Blog.Europe

You may already know that PS4‘s upcoming system software 2.00, codenamed Masamune, adds some big features including, Share Play, YouTube support, and Themes, but that’s just the start. Let’s take a look at some of the other items that you can expect from this major update coming this Autumn:

• USB Music Player: PS4 owners will be able to play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the system, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
  • Change colours: PS4 owners can change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and grey.
  • Enhancements to live broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
  • Friend finder: PS4 will now suggest players you may know, recommending close friends of your close friends.
  • Content Area and Library: PS4′s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organise contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
  • Enhanced voice commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
  • Add to library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
  • Back-up data: Data on PS4 can be backed up and resorted using USB storage. This will back up all data for the console, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more.

I know some people will be happy about being able to sort their libraries.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS4 system software 2.00 preview: USB Music Player, new Home screen colours, more - PlayStation.Blog.Europe

I know some people will be happy about being able to sort their libraries.

I'm one of them.

I'm also kinda looking forward to being able to change the color of the background. I like blue but I like changing things up every now and then especially since I'm on the XMB a lot. Would've preferred to have the ability to have downloadable wallpapers but this'll do for now I guess.

Now, they just need to fix their damn servers! :rant:

I'm one of them.

I'm also kinda looking forward to being able to change the color of the background. I like blue but I like changing things up every now and then especially since I'm on the XMB a lot. Would've preferred to have the ability to have downloadable wallpapers but this'll do for now I guess.

Now, they just need to fix their damn servers! :rant:

Well there are Themes, and they'll likely include pre-determined backgrounds like PS3 ones, though it would be nice to be able to use your own. I'll be happy with having a purple background though!

And don't be silly, servers never get fixed :p

"Originally Posted by Blog, bitch" lolwut?

It's a pretty solid list and adds some much-requested features. The content area and Library changes will be great, making the main screen easier to organize. I'm hoping they sneak in the ability to pause downloads since there's no reason why they shouldn't have such a feature already.

The USB music player is also a great addition, and I know I'll be using it. Hopefully Sony's working at adding game storage and playback off of a USB 3.0 external HDD; it would not only help with people needing extra space but would also help save money over trying to find a HDD to fit inside the PS4.

USB Music Player: PS4 owners will be able to play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the system, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.

This. This is a step in the right direction. Hopefully we'll soon be seeing an option to view pictures and play videos from a USB stick. Maybe even support for .MKV, .GIF, and others. Add in a Youtube app and maybe some options to sort things better and I'd be one happy consumer.

As other have said, step in the right direction - but only just.

I couldn't believe when I read USB Music Player, seriously ?? Hopefully, they get around to fully implementing a proper Media Player in the future.

Also, I want Folders to organize my stuff, and want to be able to put stuff where and how I want it.

It would also be nice to have Offline Trophies and more sorting options for viewing them !!

Hopefully, these will come in time. Let's hope that we don't have to wait another year until we do !!!

As other have said, step in the right direction - but only just

Also, I want Folders to organize my stuff, and want to be able to put stuff where and how I want it

Hopefully, these will come in time. Let's hope that we don't have to wait another year until we do !!!

Folders are something I would really like also. Not complaining, I'm glad to see them get an update ready but there's nothing in there this time that I will use. Might change the theme but I like blue and have always ended up going back to it.

could someone please explain the "add to library' option for the free +games like I'm a 5 year old? Does it just add them to your library so you can download them later or will you be able to play them right from your library without downloading? I don't really see a point.

The way I read it is you can add it to your library without downloading it, so you can own it to download in the future. You will still have to download it to play it though.

The way I read it is you can add it to your library without downloading it, so you can own it to download in the future. You will still have to download it to play it though.

I got ya. So basically if my HDD is full and I want the game, but have no room until I'm finished with the one I'm playing I can add it to the library and then download it after I delete the game data of the one I'm playing.

I got ya. So basically if my HDD is full and I want the game, but have no room until I'm finished with the one I'm playing I can add it to the library and then download it after I delete the game data of the one I'm playing.

That's how I read it, which is nice. I'm tired of having to download a game just to purchase to have it for later.