XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > >

Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
DawningWolf55

Awards Showcase Helping Hand   Community Gaming Event Gold   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Maximum Clubs Top 5   First PS4 Game Nights   1,000 Posts   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Word of Mouth - Silver   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Default Does your PS4 Get Loud or Hot? Here is a fix!

So I was just about to exchange my PS4 when I found it was as loud as a hair dryer and that I could feel the heat a mile away. I heard that quite a lot of people were having this problem too. So I realized my entertainment stand had a wall behind it. So I made an opening in it so it could breathe. Man, did that do wonders! I can barely hear it anymore and I don't feel the heat towards me anymore. For those having this problem, make sure that it has a complete opening behind it. Make sure it's not closed in at all. Otherwise you WILL have this problem.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Zenred

Send a message via AIM to Zenred Send a message via MSN to Zenred Send a message via Yahoo to Zenred Send a message via Skype™ to Zenred

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

I really wish more people paid attention to how they have their electronic devices set up, you are now all basically hooking up computers to your television, so having the vents face down on the carpet or encased in glass or against a wall is only hurting you. Luckily the PS4 has a fail safe "killswitch" if it starts to overheat but why do that to yourself.

Mine is quiet as hell, way quieter than my PS3 ever was.

Follow my live stream at www.twitch.tv/dernez and comment and/or yell at me for being generally awful at games.
Zenred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
DawningWolf55

Awards Showcase Helping Hand   Community Gaming Event Gold   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Maximum Clubs Top 5   First PS4 Game Nights   1,000 Posts   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Word of Mouth - Silver   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenred View Post
I really wish more people paid attention to how they have their electronic devices set up, you are now all basically hooking up computers to your television, so having the vents face down on the carpet or encased in glass or against a wall is only hurting you. Luckily the PS4 has a fail safe "killswitch" if it starts to overheat but why do that to yourself.

Thing is, my PS3 used to be in that spot and it worked just fine purely quiet pretty much. The PS4, I put it in the same spot my room becomes a sauna and it gets very very loud. It outputs so much heat that it makes it hum like a motorbike and makes you hot.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
AverySegaw

Send a message via Skype™ to AverySegaw

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

It's a general rule of thumb to give your electronics at least 6 inches of space on all sides for breathing room. It's also better to store devices like game consoles that are used often in an open environment to aid in air flow and heat dissipation. Most entertainment storage furniture pieces aren't built with game consoles in mind, usually only things like cable boxes or DVD/BD players should be stored in the compartments since they do not generate extreme amounts of heat.

Storing your new PS4 in a space barely big enough for it is just asking for the "Red Line of Death" or worse.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Sylon08

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Quote:

This. People need to let their electronics breathe.

The only time I hear my PS4 at all is when the disc spins up. Once the disc is spinning though, and any other time, the system is silent.

Sylon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
alexyov1

Send a message via MSN to alexyov1 Send a message via Yahoo to alexyov1

I got lots of room but still gets a bit warm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131115_121506_Rathburn Rd E_HDR.jpg (92.7 KB, 174 views)

alexyov1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
mjc0961

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

Quote:

This. These things are computers. PS3 and 360 were computers. You need to let them breathe, you can't toss them in an enclosed space. Seems like Sony needs to have some kind of screen during the initial set-up that says "be sure to keep your console in an open space where it can breathe" to make sure people know.

My PS4 is louder than my PS3 though. The game sounds drown it out so I'm not bothered, but it is louder. My PS3 is the slim though, if you're comparing it to the jet engine that is the fat PS3 then yeah, PS4 is quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawningWolf55 View Post
Thing is, my PS3 used to be in that spot and it worked just fine purely quiet pretty much. The PS4, I put it in the same spot my room becomes a sauna and it gets very very loud. It outputs so much heat that it makes it hum like a motorbike and makes you hot.
You are lucky that your PS3 didn't have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyov1 View Post
I got lots of room but still gets a bit warm
It's still going to get warm no matter where you put it. It's a computer. It's got all kinds of electrical components generating lots of heat inside. Next time your PS3 is on and running for a while, go put your hand on it. It will be warm too. So will your TV. These things get hot. The important thing is to put them in a well ventilated area so they don't cook themselves on their own heat.

Your set up will be fine for keeping your consoles healthy.

mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
kfree7

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 5 Champions - EBGobblins   Word of Mouth - Bronze   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

I'll need to move mine as well. Out in the open to breath is a much better idea.

Tell us about the new games How many games have you played and how many have you completed?

Who deserves to hear from you on The Shout Out Thread!!
kfree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
ONUOsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon08 View Post
This. People need to let their electronics breathe.

The only time I hear my PS4 at all is when the disc spins up. Once the disc is spinning though, and any other time, the system is silent.
Really? Do you play with the volume turned up loud? Because mine has fan noise whether it's in my entertainment center or not - I've tried both. It's nowhere near as bad as my first ps3 was, but it's definitely not silent either.

ONUOsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
alexyov1

Send a message via MSN to alexyov1 Send a message via Yahoo to alexyov1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post
This. These things are computers. PS3 and 360 were computers. You need to let them breathe, you can't toss them in an enclosed space. Seems like Sony needs to have some kind of screen during the initial set-up that says "be sure to keep your console in an open space where it can breathe" to make sure people know.

My PS4 is louder than my PS3 though. The game sounds drown it out so I'm not bothered, but it is louder. My PS3 is the slim though, if you're comparing it to the jet engine that is the fat PS3 then yeah, PS4 is quieter.

You are lucky that your PS3 didn't have problems.

It's still going to get warm no matter where you put it. It's a computer. It's got all kinds of electrical components generating lots of heat inside. Next time your PS3 is on and running for a while, go put your hand on it. It will be warm too. So will your TV. These things get hot. The important thing is to put them in a well ventilated area so they don't cook themselves on their own heat.

Your set up will be fine for keeping your consoles healthy.
my TV is led so it doesn't generate too much heat plus is over a foot apart, when I'm playing ps4 the ps3 is off and vice-versa, my cable box even when is off generates a bit of heat but the HTiB does not, so I feel safe, I try to keep my stuff clean, free of dust, that helps a bit as well

alexyov1 is offline   Reply With Quote