Does your PS4 Get Loud or Hot? Here is a fix!

Resonating Starfall

So I was just about to exchange my PS4 when I found it was as loud as a hair dryer and that I could feel the heat a mile away. I heard that quite a lot of people were having this problem too. So I realized my entertainment stand had a wall behind it. So I made an opening in it so it could breathe. Man, did that do wonders! I can barely hear it anymore and I don't feel the heat towards me anymore. For those having this problem, make sure that it has a complete opening behind it. Make sure it's not closed in at all. Otherwise you WILL have this problem.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish more people paid attention to how they have their electronic devices set up, you are now all basically hooking up computers to your television, so having the vents face down on the carpet or encased in glass or against a wall is only hurting you. Luckily the PS4 has a fail safe "killswitch" if it starts to overheat but why do that to yourself.

Mine is quiet as hell, way quieter than my PS3 ever was.

I really wish more people paid attention to how they have their electronic devices set up, you are now all basically hooking up computers to your television, so having the vents face down on the carpet or encased in glass or against a wall is only hurting you. Luckily the PS4 has a fail safe "killswitch" if it starts to overheat but why do that to yourself.

Thing is, my PS3 used to be in that spot and it worked just fine purely quiet pretty much. The PS4, I put it in the same spot my room becomes a sauna and it gets very very loud. It outputs so much heat that it makes it hum like a motorbike and makes you hot.

It's a general rule of thumb to give your electronics at least 6 inches of space on all sides for breathing room. It's also better to store devices like game consoles that are used often in an open environment to aid in air flow and heat dissipation. Most entertainment storage furniture pieces aren't built with game consoles in mind, usually only things like cable boxes or DVD/BD players should be stored in the compartments since they do not generate extreme amounts of heat.

Storing your new PS4 in a space barely big enough for it is just asking for the "Red Line of Death" or worse.

This. People need to let their electronics breathe.

The only time I hear my PS4 at all is when the disc spins up. Once the disc is spinning though, and any other time, the system is silent.

This. These things are computers. PS3 and 360 were computers. You need to let them breathe, you can't toss them in an enclosed space. Seems like Sony needs to have some kind of screen during the initial set-up that says "be sure to keep your console in an open space where it can breathe" to make sure people know.

My PS4 is louder than my PS3 though. The game sounds drown it out so I'm not bothered, but it is louder. My PS3 is the slim though, if you're comparing it to the jet engine that is the fat PS3 then yeah, PS4 is quieter.

Thing is, my PS3 used to be in that spot and it worked just fine purely quiet pretty much. The PS4, I put it in the same spot my room becomes a sauna and it gets very very loud. It outputs so much heat that it makes it hum like a motorbike and makes you hot.
You are lucky that your PS3 didn't have problems.

I got lots of room but still gets a bit warm

It's still going to get warm no matter where you put it. It's a computer. It's got all kinds of electrical components generating lots of heat inside. Next time your PS3 is on and running for a while, go put your hand on it. It will be warm too. So will your TV. These things get hot. The important thing is to put them in a well ventilated area so they don't cook themselves on their own heat.

Your set up will be fine for keeping your consoles healthy.

This. People need to let their electronics breathe.

The only time I hear my PS4 at all is when the disc spins up. Once the disc is spinning though, and any other time, the system is silent.

Really? Do you play with the volume turned up loud? Because mine has fan noise whether it's in my entertainment center or not - I've tried both. It's nowhere near as bad as my first ps3 was, but it's definitely not silent either.

This. These things are computers. PS3 and 360 were computers. You need to let them breathe, you can't toss them in an enclosed space. Seems like Sony needs to have some kind of screen during the initial set-up that says "be sure to keep your console in an open space where it can breathe" to make sure people know.

My PS4 is louder than my PS3 though. The game sounds drown it out so I'm not bothered, but it is louder. My PS3 is the slim though, if you're comparing it to the jet engine that is the fat PS3 then yeah, PS4 is quieter.

It's still going to get warm no matter where you put it. It's a computer. It's got all kinds of electrical components generating lots of heat inside. Next time your PS3 is on and running for a while, go put your hand on it. It will be warm too. So will your TV. These things get hot. The important thing is to put them in a well ventilated area so they don't cook themselves on their own heat.

my TV is led so it doesn't generate too much heat plus is over a foot apart, when I'm playing ps4 the ps3 is off and vice-versa, my cable box even when is off generates a bit of heat but the HTiB does not, so I feel safe, I try to keep my stuff clean, free of dust, that helps a bit as well

my TV is led so it doesn't generate too much heat plus is over a foot apart, when I'm playing ps4 the ps3 is off and vice-versa, my cable box even when is off generates a bit of heat but the HTiB does not, so I feel safe, I try to keep my stuff clean, free of dust, that helps a bit as well

My TV is LED too. If I put my hand on it, it is warm. Not hot. Not going to burn my hand. But the point is that it's warm. It's always going to be warm because electronics generate heat. Thus you have to keep them ventilated well. Which you have done, so be proud: your set-up is an example that others should follow. ;)

And yes, you're right about the dust too. Every week I take all the discs out of my consoles, fully power them off, unplug them, and remove them from where they sit so I can dust properly. And about every month I take a vacuum to all the air vents and suck out as much dust as I can (same with my computer, it's actually gross how much shit builds up on a month. maybe I should do my PC more often actually).

Two most important rules: keep your consoles ventilated and free of dust.

The fat one for sure been running that bad boy since launch.

There's about 6 and 1/2 inches between the back end of my PS4 and the wall behind it. It doesn't have much wiggle room on the sides because it's in the same place as my Wii U and PS3, and it's getting a bit crowded there.

This is only from laying it horizontally though. If I stand it vertically, it would free up a lot more side space.

As for the room in the back, I hope that's enough.

I have mine in a stand with a back wall (minus small cutouts for cables) and a door. I leave the door open whenever it is running. I have left it on for 6 or 7 hours at a time and stays relatively cool and nearly silent. If i put my hand back behind it I can feel a little heat (just enough to feel it) and it is cool to the touch. It seems to be venting very well.

Now if only Battlefield 4 would stop crashing I could play the game I bought the system at launch for.:mad::(

I have mine in a stand with a back wall (minus small cutouts for cables) and a door. I leave the door open whenever it is running. I have left it on for 6 or 7 hours at a time and stays relatively cool and nearly silent. If i put my hand back behind it I can feel a little heat (just enough to feel it) and it is cool to the touch. It seems to be venting very well.

Now if only Battlefield 4 would stop crashing I could play the game I bought the system at launch for.:mad::(

I'm starting to wonder if something's wrong with mine, then, because my setup is nearly identical (minus the door) andy fan runs constantly when playing a game. Top of the system is fairly warm and the back by the cables is very warm, but it doesn't feel like much air is actually leaving the console despite the speed of the fan...

• 1 month later...

And the most obvious post of the year goes to....the OP! If you don't know that by now you must be completely new to console or even PC gaming (or common sense). As far as being vertical/horizontal, I agree with CLARKHIT above. I went vertical with the PS3 and started out the same way with the PS4 but it does cover 1 of the vents and it did make my PS4 louder than it is now horizontal.