Any chance to get PS4 without a preorder before Christmas?

ShadowStar83x

Now, before you ask, considering I've been quite vocal about not getting PS4 right away, I'm not having a change of heart. I don't plan on getting a PS4 until after E3 2014 at the earliest. Probably later. I'm not really asking for myself.

My sister decided a short time ago she wanted to get a PS4 for her boyfriend for Christmas. She had a chance, but waited too long. :facepalm: Since I'm the big video game shopper in the family, she's asking me to do it. Of course, she's paying me to do it, so I can't complain! :p Anyway, my question is do you think I have any chance? I'm not really getting my hopes up, but I'd like to know what my chances are.

Worked in retail, especially during the Wii craze several years ago and I will tell you, it will be VERY hard to find a PS4 without pre-ordering. Even with a pre-order, some people are having to wait to get theirs. I would assume most of the retail stores and possibly even online stores will be sold out by Black Friday (American sale day after Thanksgiving for those that aren't familiar). And no one knows when stores will be resupplied with them. My store almost had to wait a month for more shipments to come in.

Some stores will have the big consoles (PS4 & Xbone) saved up for Black Friday to meet demands or requirements (I can't remember what it was called) but even if stores have them, it will be nuts trying to get one. Not to mention, dangerous. And don't count on any sales for them. The games, maybe. But definitely not the consoles.

Remember, some people will be selling the consoles for a lot more than they're worth. NEVER get those. A lot of people are tempted to do so but it's never worth the extra couple hundred dollars. Just wait it out.

There's loads of suppliers in the UK still offering orders and guaranteeing them before Christmas, I see you're over the pond though, Hope you manage it bud.
Walmart was while they were offering it. I told her not to wait, but she didn't listen.

ShopTo Is guaranteed before Christmas if you ordered know I ordered before they changed the description because it said release day so guess I got lucky. Also I think game and amazon are aswell
Only Amazon is here and they aren't.

Worked in retail, especially during the Wii craze several years ago and I will tell you, it will be VERY hard to find a PS4 without pre-ordering. Even with a pre-order, some people are having to wait to get theirs. I would assume most of the retail stores and possibly even online stores will be sold out by Black Friday (American sale day after Thanksgiving for those that aren't familiar). And no one knows when stores will be resupplied with them. My store almost had to wait a month for more shipments to come in.

Some stores will have the big consoles (PS4 & Xbone) saved up for Black Friday to meet demands or requirements (I can't remember what it was called) but even if stores have them, it will be nuts trying to get one. Not to mention, dangerous. And don't count on any sales for them. The games, maybe. But definitely not the consoles.

Remember, some people will be selling the consoles for a lot more than they're worth. NEVER get those. A lot of people are tempted to do so but it's never worth the extra couple hundred dollars. Just wait it out.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Not going to try for one on Black Friday. It'd be insane and I'm sort of against it since it usually starts on Thanksgiving night now.

I doubt that either the Xbox One or the Playstation 4 will come close to the craze that is the Wii. The Wii was in a "Perfect Storm" scenario. The PS4/Xbone aren't. I bet it will be hard to find for two or three weeks after, but it won't be the half year wait that the Wii was.

I have a friend in just about every retailer's head office, and at least here in Canada I can tell you that the majority of stores will be able to not only fill all of the preorders, but will also have in the range of 10-50 EXTRA PS4s on top of the preorders. This is for day 1.

There are expected to be more shipments prior to, and again shortly after, Black Friday.

I would say you'll be fine. Find a retailer that doesn't just do video games for your best bets. The amount of preorders for the average Gamestop in my area is ~200-300 per store, whereas the Futureshops in my area are seeing ~50-100 preorders.

The Futureshop around the corner from me, for instance, has 90 preorders currently, and will have 25 more on top of that as reserves for non-preorders. All of the preorders have been guaranteed day 1.