Playstation 4 vs Xbox One. The facts.

Dr Popodopolus

“Xbox One will surprise the world during E3,” “We will kill Sony at E3.” claimed Microsoft's Global Marketing Director, Craig Davidson.

Well, now it's over, let's have a look at the aftermath.

Xbox One Pros: New and improved controller. Decent voice recognition.

Xbox One Cons: 24-hour internet checks, zero backwards compatibility for both downloaded & physical games (with no streaming service), restricted game sharing and used game policy, forced Kinect purchase with free privacy invasion, all games are licensed with no physical ownership, old headsets are not compatible, ugly VCR-style design, mandatory horizontal console stand, inferior hardware, region-locked consoles and blu-rays, non-removable or upgradeable 500GB hard drive.

Cost: £429 / $499 / €499

Playstation 4 Pros: New and improved controller with innovative touchpad and "Share" button, no mandatory internet checks or connections, streaming service for selected PS3 titles, unrestricted game sharing & used game policy with 100% game ownership, no forced Move purchase, PS3 bluetooth headset compatibility, sleek and slim design, vertical & horizontal console stand, superior hardware, region-free consoles & blu-rays, removable and upgradeable 500GB hard drive.

Cost: £349 / $399 / €399

Playstation 4 Cons: None

Final scores:

Xbox: 1

Playstation: 4

All factual. No bias. Make up your own minds.

Discuss.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in all honesty microsoft had better exclusives. only new exclusive i saw was The Order 1886.

Better launch exclusives, better exclusives? Hell no, we still have a ton of exclusives on PS3 that are better than anything MS showed so do you honestly think because they had a couple lined up to show that now they are the console with the better exclusives?

You missed some cons.

Namely ps4s lack of full BC and having to charge for online, actually you forgot charge for online for MS too.

in all honesty microsoft had better exclusives. only new exclusive i saw was The Order 1886.

Um we don't even know if half those games MS showed are exclusives most of them are made by third parties and MS likes to pulled timed exclusive BS at the start of a gen. MS has a far weaker first party and I don't think they have enough money to buy enough exclusives on their console I mean publishers are going to want pretty much everything they expect to make if it was multiplat upfront from MS because of Xbox ones horrible sales to be.

Edited by Stalemate666

Better launch exclusives, better exclusives? Hell no, we still have a ton of exclusives on PS3 that are better than anything MS showed so do you honestly think because they had a couple lined up to show that now they are the console with the better exclusives?

im also talking about ps4 exclusively. yes we have last of us & beyond two souls but as far as ps4 goes only noteworthy exclusives for me were killzone and infamous. from what they showed at their conference they showed more new exclusives and more new ips that interested me. if finaly fantasy xv and kingdom hearts 3 were exclusive it might be a different story but microsoft showed off a lot of cool looking games that im a little jealous of.

im also talking about ps4 exclusively. yes we have last of us & beyond two souls but as far as ps4 goes only noteworthy exclusives for me were killzone and infamous. from what they showed at their conference they showed more new exclusives and more new ips that interested me. if finaly fantasy xv and kingdom hearts 3 were exclusive it might be a different story but microsoft showed off a lot of cool looking games that im a little jealous of.

I totally agree with ramez. I still don't get why GT6, beyond two souls and the last of us wasn't pushed onto next gen console PS4. I think MS has better exclusives so far.

Not to mention on the PS4 you can turn off all the Social Networking stuff if you wish, where as on the Xbox One it's all forced with minimal options for disabling them (even when the Kinect is off it's still on standby waiting for the command to turn back on again).

Good point made in a civilized manner!

Don't worry, the only things worth worrying about would be Quantum Break and potentially Titanfall. I've been on Xbox LIVE for 6 years and Halo and Gears are not the console-sellers they once were in my eyes. Believe me, I was die-hard Halo 3. Halo 4 was a massive let-down in terms of multiplayer at least. 343 have gone off in an alien direction with the multiplayer. Halo 3 was pretty much the reason I bought my 360, however, I would not buy an Xbox One for Halo 5.

I think a game like Dead Rising 3 will probably end up on PS4 in the future (a la Bioshock for the PS3), whilst Forza is good but it'll just be a copy-paste job of Forza 4.

I agree with this. I'd take franchises like God of War, Infamous, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance & Uncharted with all the other great first party titles over anything Microsoft has. They only really have Gears of War, Forza, Fable & Halo in terms of franchises. All of which no longer interest me.

I bet we'll get Uncharted 4 & LittleBigPlanet 3 down the road for PS4. These are the kind of games that I would refer to as "Killer apps" along with the upcoming Infamous and Killzone games to support them.

You missed some cons.

Namely ps4s lack of full BC and having to charge for online, actually you forgot charge for online for MS too.

I kinda let them cancel each other out, but I take your point. Personally I don't mind paying for an online console service and can usually get the subscription on Xbox LIVE for £25-£35 for a year which only works out as a few pounds per month for something I'll be using all the time. If I dedicated my time to the Playstation Network then I'm sure it'd feel worth it.

yeah titanfall look cool but then again titanfall looks a lot like killzone which i love to death so i wont be missing out that much.

Titanfall is the only game on the XBOX that I wish was for both consoles, I have been looking forward to Respawn's game ever since they were formed and it is a terrible choice that they decided to let it be an exclusive, less money for them because right now XBOX is the losing console.

Why does anyone give 2 shits about BC? I remember going from PS2 to PS3. At the time the PS2 had some great games still coming out for it and I thought I would be playing PS2 games still. But once I started playing PS3 games I could never be bothered to play PS2 games again.

I can's see myself playing KZ:SF or BF4 with 64 players and then thinking to myself "you you what, I want to play Remember Me right now on my PS4." And if I did have a craving to play some old ass game my PS3 will still be around somewhere collecting dust like my PS2 did for years before I finally gave it away. Move on people, you sound like Nintendo fans :whistle:

Why does anyone give 2 shits about BC? I remember going from PS2 to PS3. At the time the PS2 had some great games still coming out for it and I thought I would be playing PS2 games still. But once I started playing PS3 games I could never be bothered to play PS2 games again.

I think it is because despite all the graphical improvements, a lot of PS3 games will look and play similar to the upcoming PS4 titles. The leap won't be as high as the PS2 to PS3 jump. I would have sold my PS3 if PS4 was fully backwards compatible, but now I guess I will have to stick with it for a while.

I can's see myself playing KZ:SF or BF4 with 64 players and then thinking to myself "you you what, I want to play Remember Me right now on my PS4." And if I did have a craving to play some old ass game my PS3 will still be around somewhere collecting dust like my PS2 did for years before I finally gave it away. Move on people, you sound like Nintendo fans :whistle:

Because they want to play games they paid for with ease of use. Whenever consoles are compared to pc, it's always worth noting pc doesn't have to worry about future proofing

Because they want to play games they paid for with ease of use.

WTF does this mean? How is Sony taking away someone ease of use? Are they sending jack-booted thugs into your home and taking away your PS3? Are they smashing your receiver or TV so that you cant change input sources?

M$ will not have better exclusives in the long run. PS has a strong reputation with many of the Japanese studios like NIS, Compile-Heart, FROM, Atlus, etc that will bring exclusives to their console.

Only thing M$ has going for it is its own in house exclusives unless they are gonna continue paying out big bucks for third parties to develop stuff for them which I doubt. It's likely only something they are doing at launch.