Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >
Subscribe    Donate

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #1
KingBaboska

Default All New PT Concept Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixYFjCtbgLc

I had to recorded on my Iphone during the conference.

This looks really different than any other silent hill game which I am excited for.
Old September 18th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Noid
̴̙͎ͦ̿͊̀̓͒͆Ņ̬̃̋͐̾ͮ̀̚

Send a message via Skype™ to Noid

Awards Showcase Gotta Beat The Noid's List   Biggest Game Night of 2015   Bronze Submission   Signature of the Month Winner   Triple Scooper   Platinum Trophy Guide Submitter   Gold  Road Map Submitter   Vy's Glow in the Dark Role Playing Mix   Maximum Clubs Silver   Trophy Survivor: Kyrat - Minion   First Subscriber Game Nights   Staff - Graphics Team
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)

Here's a significantly higher quality version:

Old September 19th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
CaptainNick

Makes me think it's really going to be a first person game. Wonder when we'll get to see some actual gameplay.
Old September 19th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #4
SoaringEagle23
Loving/Hating Destiny RNG

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   First Subscriber Game Nights   Donator Level 1   Basic Subscriber   Community Gaming Event Silver   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNick View Post
Makes me think it's really going to be a first person game. Wonder when we'll get to see some actual gameplay.
I agree. As much as I'm loving the direction that Kojima Productions is taking, I'm hoping that they won't abandon what made the Silent Hill series so memorable, with the game being in third-person and having to battle your inner monsters. As cool as all of the ghouls in the trailers are looking, I still want to see the monsters that are based on the person's inner psyche, because that in my opinion is what makes the game scarier.

Old September 19th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Noid
̴̙͎ͦ̿͊̀̓͒͆Ņ̬̃̋͐̾ͮ̀̚

Awards Showcase Gotta Beat The Noid's List   Biggest Game Night of 2015   Bronze Submission   Signature of the Month Winner   Triple Scooper   Platinum Trophy Guide Submitter   Gold  Road Map Submitter   Vy's Glow in the Dark Role Playing Mix   Maximum Clubs Silver   Trophy Survivor: Kyrat - Minion   First Subscriber Game Nights   Staff - Graphics Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringEagle23 View Post
I agree. As much as I'm loving the direction that Kojima Productions is taking, I'm hoping that they won't abandon what made the Silent Hill series so memorable, with the game being in third-person and having to battle your inner monsters. As cool as all of the ghouls in the trailers are looking, I still want to see the monsters that are based on the person's inner psyche, because that in my opinion is what makes the game scarier.
Who's to say these monsters are not of the player character's psyche?

And frankly, third person doesn't a Silent Hill game make. Look at what Resident Evil 4 did for the RE series. Change can be good. I find first person horror games to be significantly scarier, since you can more easily empathize with your character. You ARE them. Third person relies FAR too much on jump scares.
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #6
SoaringEagle23

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   First Subscriber Game Nights   Donator Level 1   Basic Subscriber   Community Gaming Event Silver   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__Noid View Post
Who's to say these monsters are not of the player character's psyche?

And frankly, third person doesn't a Silent Hill game make. Look at what Resident Evil 4 did for the RE series. Change can be good. I find first person horror games to be significantly scarier, since you can more easily empathize with your character. You ARE them. Third person relies FAR too much on jump scares.
You do make a good point Noid. The only problem I have with the game being first-person is because we've been seeing a trend of first-person perspective horror indie games with some being good while others have had difficulty trying to capture what it set out to do.. I do agree with your RE4 comparison that change can be very good, but it can be very difficult to have that change be something everyone can adjust to and enjoy once it finally comes out.

As for the monsters, maybe you're right and this might be a new breed of the monsters that's been present throughout the series, but it'd be nice to see them be more unique than just zombie- and distorted-looking people. One of my favorite aspects of the old Silent Hill games has always been the monsters, both of what they look like and what they represent. I'll put a link below but the variety of designs for the monsters in the previous games each had their own unique look to them and personally that's what made each of them feel "alive" within the game; if that makes sense. With having the new monsters look too human, it could get repetitive eventually. But still, I've got high hopes that this game will be great and maybe the start of a whole new Silent Hill(s) series of games.

Silent Hill Wiki: Monsters
Monsters - Silent Hill Wiki - Your special place about everyone's favorite resort town.

Old September 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Noid
̴̙͎ͦ̿͊̀̓͒͆Ņ̬̃̋͐̾ͮ̀̚

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringEagle23 View Post
You do make a good point Noid. The only problem I have with the game being first-person is because we've been seeing a trend of first-person perspective horror indie games with some being good while others have had difficulty trying to capture what it set out to do.. I do agree with your RE4 comparison that change can be very good, but it can be very difficult to have that change be something everyone can adjust to and enjoy once it finally comes out.

As for the monsters, maybe you're right and this might be a new breed of the monsters that's been present throughout the series, but it'd be nice to see them be more unique than just zombie- and distorted-looking people. One of my favorite aspects of the old Silent Hill games has always been the monsters, both of what they look like and what they represent. I'll put a link below but the variety of designs for the monsters in the previous games each had their own unique look to them and personally that's what made each of them feel "alive" within the game; if that makes sense. With having the new monsters look too human, it could get repetitive eventually. But still, I've got high hopes that this game will be great and maybe the start of a whole new Silent Hill(s) series of games.

Silent Hill Wiki: Monsters
Monsters - Silent Hill Wiki - Your special place about everyone's favorite resort town.
One thing you have to keep in mind is that Silent Hill essentially stopped being the Silent Hill you're referring to after The Room, and that wasn't even a Silent Hill game originally. Origins came out, and essentially everything after that was a rehash of the same base concept.

Take Pyramid head as the primary example. There's no reason they should have been in any game aside from 2. Period. They were a personal punishment for that games protagonist, made up of pieces of his mind to punish himself.

So why does he appear at all in other games as the same manifestation? Origins had an offshoot of PH with The Butcher, but even he had barely any reason to exist within the game. A blatant attempt to recreate old Pyramid Head, which when it failed was followed up with FUCKING PYRAMID HEAD!

The originality in the series died with SH3. I firmly believe that what I've seen so far (of the new Silent Hills) is the closest thing to truly carrying on with the franchise since then.

Last edited by Noid; September 19th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old September 19th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #8
SoaringEagle23

Quote:
One thing you have to keep in mind is that Silent Hill essentially stopped being the Silent Hill you're referring to after The Room, and that wasn't even a Silent Hill game originally. Origins came out, and essentially everything after that was a rehash of the same base concept.

Take Pyramid head as the primary example. There's no reason they should have been in any game aside from 2. Period. They were a personal punishment for that games protagonist, made up of pieces of his mind to punish himself.

So why does he appear at all in other games as the same manifestation? Origins had an offshoot of PH with The Butcher, but even he had barely any reason to exist within the game. A blatant attempt to recreate old Pyramid Head, which when it failed was followed up with FUCKING PYRAMID HEAD!

The originality in the series died with SH3. I firmly believe that what I've seen so far (of the new Silent Hills) is the closest thing to truly carrying on with the franchise since then.
I completely agree about what you said with Pyramid Head, and as cool as that character is, he really shouldn't be in any other game but 2. And I've noticed how every game after 4, or even 3, kind of fell short of what the series holds true, and that can account to how the original developers stopped the franchise after 4. Much like how the RE franchise took a drastic change to the gameplay to keep the series alive, hopefully with this new start, it can get back the feelings that the original game had.

Old September 19th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #9
solstice
The Man That Follows Hell

Send a message via Skype™ to solstice

Awards Showcase Guide Supplement Silver   Basic Subscriber   Trophy Survivor: Kyrat - Minion   5,000 Posts   Platinums We Have Earned On High   Jingle Spells   Word of Mouth - Bronze   Community Gaming Event Gold   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Bronzer Than Nothing   Maximum Clubs Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)

This game looks nothing like Silent Hill, but it looks fucking insane regardless. I look forward to shitting myself in the future.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #10
PsychoDelusion

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth - Gold
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Quote:

Let me respond to your Pyramid Head question and why his appearance was needed in every silent Hil

Silent Hill Homecoming: "The Bogeyman" aka Pyramid Head made an appearance because Alex felt guilt about the death of his brother and also an inner part of his wanted to get revenge from his parents for treating him they did

Silent Hill 0 (Origins): The Butcher had a similar role with Pyramid Head. Travis felt guilt for the death of his parents and had a constant need of escaping the past. The Butcher though was dragging him there.

Every Silent Hill game is unique. New areas in every game mean new fear. Just take the Silent Hill Hotel from SH Homecoming as an example. A huge abandonned hotel which is yours to explore. Even games like Silent Hill need some renovation