Memory Management?

tpb

So I have had a PS3 for a while (the old 80 Gb model...) and am planning to buy the new DC universe game tomorrow. Sounds like it needs some big memory on the HDD so thought I would see how much memory I have free and what's taking it up?

Somehow I'm using 40Gbs of data... but all I have is save games and 1 game installed (Flight Control HD) - that's all! How do I figure out what's taking up all the space (the 360 has a great screen to see what's using your HDD space - is there something similar hidden in the PS3 menus)????

In the "Game" section - what is "Game Data Utility"?? How do I know what is safe to delete?

What about stuff like "Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity"? is that taking up space on my HDD? If so how do I delete it (Triangle doesn't give me a menu like everything else...).

Ive deleted game saves and stuff I know I dont need - but thats Megs of data... Certainly no where near Gigs!

Another thing... - on LIVE - you can download games - play them, delete them from your HDD and LIVE knows I own it and lets me re-download it later... is this possible on the PS3 with PSN?

Edited by tpb

So I have had a PS3 for a while (the old 80 Gb model...) and am planning to buy the new DC universe game tomorrow. Sounds like it needs some big memory on the HDD so thought I would see how much memory I have free and what's taking it up?

Somehow I'm using 40Gbs of data... but all I have is save games and 1 game installed (Flight Control HD) - that's all! How do I figure out what's taking up all the space (the 360 has a great screen to see what's using your HDD space - is there something similar hidden in the PS3 menus)????

In the "Game" section - what is "Game Data Utility"?? How do I know what is safe to delete?

What about stuff like "Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity"? is that taking up space on my HDD? If so how do I delete it (Triangle doesn't give me a menu like everything else...).

Ive deleted game saves and stuff I know I dont need - but thats Megs of data... Certainly no where near Gigs!

Another thing... - on LIVE - you can download games - play them, delete them from your HDD and LIVE knows I own it and lets me re-download it later... is this possible on the PS3 with PSN?

Game Gata Utility is game install data from games or updated patches (not saves or personal data). It is data from the disc to help improve load times. Like Bioshock 2 will install 4GB+ of data on your system that is required to play the game. Once I beat Bioshock 2 I deleted the Game Data.

I do that with every game I platinum/finish playing. Also if you have any downloaded PSN games those will take up space on the HDD. Triangle over any software/data will allow you to see the "information" letting you know the size of the file and then you can delete it if you want.

The only game data utility I keep are games that I continually play, like Burnout Paradise and patches for games I still play online like Black Ops. Otherwise I always delete the game data to keep space free.

Edited by QuantumMercury

you can freely enter and look around your game data folder

i would advise you to delete any game data of games that you have finished playing and arent likely to play in the near future

this is where all the data goes when you install a game before playing it and some games can have as large a data file as 5gigs so its worth deleting them.

i also have a 80 gig ps3 so have to keep an eye on my game data files but deleting them wont harm any games (although if you have one time exclusive content you may want to hang onto those files a bit longer, not that it will delete the exclusive content but it might annoy you if it does).

ninjad :p

So "Game Utility Data" is only patches and stuff? Therefore I can, in theory, delete all that stuff and it doesn't matter? Presumably it just means the next time I play that game it will download a load of updates again?

I love its power, and it has some great games, but why is the PS3 so bad at this?? Seems like whenever I put a game in there's masses of updates to do (which take forever) and apparently takes up loads of space for no particular reason!

(You guys were right by the way - freed up over 15 Gigs already!)

How do I chose to install a game to my HDD anyway? In the XBox you choose "Install Game" from the menu... not seen that setting in the PS3.

Edited by tpb

So "Game Utility Data" is only patches and stuff? Therefore I can, in theory, delete all that stuff and it doesn't matter? Presumably it just means the next time I play that game it will download a load of updates again?

I love its power, and it has some great games, but why is the PS3 so bad at this?? Seems like whenever I put a game in there's masses of updates to do (which take forever) and apparently takes up loads of space for no particular reason!

(You guys were right by the way - freed up over 15 Gigs already!)

How do I chose to install a game to my HDD anyway? In the XBox you choose "Install Game" from the menu... not seen that setting in the PS3.

Nothing like install game even exists for the PS3.

After I finish or plat a game and don't plan on playing it again (I usually end up selling games), I erase the game data and then all but the very last game save (Not sure why I keep that, it just makes me nervous not to).

Assuming you don't have a ton of music or videos on your ps3, that should help to free up a lot of your memory.

I feel like anyone who updates unless they had a 20-40 gig to start has almost wasted their money. Sure its nice to have that extra space but its not needed. With nearly 90 games played, I still have well over 20 gbs of space left because all you have to do is uninstall game data.

For example, when you check game data and it says "4069mb" that means its taking up over 4 gigs of space on your HDD. If you aren't going to play that game, get rid of it. I delete anything even close to one gig when I'm done with it and it leads to having a lot of spare space just in case I need to install something like Bayonetta.