XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > >

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
isual

Default what is the YLOD?

can someone explain this to me on how this occurs? what is the frequency and is it a system fault? thanks.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
mjc0961

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

The Yellow Light of Death is a way for your PS3 to tell you that it's crapped out on you, and you're going to have to send it back to Sony. As far as I know, it can mean any kind of hardware failure. As far as frequency goes, it appears that the launch 60GB models are much more prone to have this happen due to a fault with the thermal paste that was used. But it can also happen on any model for any other reason as well (including 60GB models).

We really can't figure out more, because Sony pretty much just gave us this one universal error indicator (whereas Microsoft has a bunch of different ring of light combinations for different errors so you can get more details about what's wrong).
Old 03-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Pottersfield610

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Yellow Light Of Death I believe is due to overheating, thats how mine got it. I got an original 80GB from August '07 but now got the newer 80GB. I will eventually try to fix my old one
Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
JadeShark

It's bad,, very bad.....

My 60 died after 14 odd months, the new sucker has been going strong for many a year now
Apparently it is a overheating problem, yet it's more to do with very minor warping of the disc after it gets a little too warm, but enough for it to bounce off the reader over and over to screw with the blu-ray side of it
I could still play PS2 games, yet anything 3 related didn't happen. I didn't pay that sort of money for a fat and heavy PS2

One should never leave a disc in it when turning on and off
One shouldn't let her fan hit third gear for too long and often

Last edited by JadeShark; 03-21-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
mycuccismells

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Member of the Month Winner
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeShark View Post
It's bad,, very bad.....

My 60 died after 14 odd months, the new sucker has been going strong for many a year now
Apparently it is a overheating problem, yet it's more to do with very minor warping of the disc after it gets a little too warm, but enough for it to bounce off the reader over and over to screw with the blu-ray side of it
I could still play PS2 games, yet anything 3 related didn't happen. I didn't pay that sort of money for a fat and heavy PS2

One should never leave a disc in it when turning on and off
One shouldn't let her fan hit third gear for too long and often
I had a 60 and it got the YLOD after 27 months or so. At least your system still turned on when you got it, mine was nothing but a paperweight with GTA stuck inside. The worst part is that it happened after only a 30 minute gaming session so its not like i was playing it to hell and made it overheat.

Where did you get this idea from that you should never leave a disc in it when you turn it on and off? I have always left a game in my console all the way back to the NES days, and have never had a problem. I just have never heard of this and was wondering what your reasoning was.

Trophy Card and Trophy Case in spoiler tag
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
JadeShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycuccismells View Post
Where did you get this idea from that you should never leave a disc in it when you turn it on and off?
Read it somewhere, maybe a Playstation forum.
Apparently the disc can jump a bit when turned on as it will suddenly be jolted up to speed and can bounce off the reader, other than when inserting a disc while it's already on
This was about the 60gig and probably just a precautinary warning, but it couldn't hurt.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Chapel

Send a message via AIM to Chapel

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

From most things that I have read, the YLOD is the 'general hardware failure' for the PS3. General hardware failures are usually due to heat: either too much at one time or too many heat cycles. People have apparently met with some success by opening their out of warranty PS3s and improving the cooling by replacing the thermal paste, cleaning out dust and polishing conductive surfaces. If you feel this is too advanced for you your best bet is to get it repaired by Sony.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
mycuccismells

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Member of the Month Winner
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeShark View Post
Read it somewhere, maybe a Playstation forum.
Apparently the disc can jump a bit when turned on as it will suddenly be jolted up to speed and can bounce off the reader, other than when inserting a disc while it's already on
This was about the 60gig and probably just a precautinary warning, but it couldn't hurt.
Very interesting, I never heard that before. Seeing how I am anal with my systems and games I guess I am going to have to start doing this now.

Trophy Card and Trophy Case in spoiler tag
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
LAClennell

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Bronze   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

People say it's best to back up your data

What would be a good device to do this, as I need something with at least 30GB Space

Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
mjc0961

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

External HDD. If you have an extra hard drive laying around that's big enough, just get an enclosure.
Closed Thread