what is the YLOD?

isual

The Yellow Light of Death is a way for your PS3 to tell you that it's crapped out on you, and you're going to have to send it back to Sony. As far as I know, it can mean any kind of hardware failure. As far as frequency goes, it appears that the launch 60GB models are much more prone to have this happen due to a fault with the thermal paste that was used. But it can also happen on any model for any other reason as well (including 60GB models).

We really can't figure out more, because Sony pretty much just gave us this one universal error indicator (whereas Microsoft has a bunch of different ring of light combinations for different errors so you can get more details about what's wrong).

It's bad,, very bad.....

My 60 died after 14 odd months, the new sucker has been going strong for many a year now

Apparently it is a overheating problem, yet it's more to do with very minor warping of the disc after it gets a little too warm, but enough for it to bounce off the reader over and over to screw with the blu-ray side of it

I could still play PS2 games, yet anything 3 related didn't happen. I didn't pay that sort of money for a fat and heavy PS2

One should never leave a disc in it when turning on and off

One shouldn't let her fan hit third gear for too long and often

Edited by JadeShark

It's bad,, very bad.....

My 60 died after 14 odd months, the new sucker has been going strong for many a year now

Apparently it is a overheating problem, yet it's more to do with very minor warping of the disc after it gets a little too warm, but enough for it to bounce off the reader over and over to screw with the blu-ray side of it

I could still play PS2 games, yet anything 3 related didn't happen. I didn't pay that sort of money for a fat and heavy PS2

One should never leave a disc in it when turning on and off

One shouldn't let her fan hit third gear for too long and often

I had a 60 and it got the YLOD after 27 months or so. At least your system still turned on when you got it, mine was nothing but a paperweight with GTA stuck inside. The worst part is that it happened after only a 30 minute gaming session so its not like i was playing it to hell and made it overheat.

Where did you get this idea from that you should never leave a disc in it when you turn it on and off? I have always left a game in my console all the way back to the NES days, and have never had a problem. I just have never heard of this and was wondering what your reasoning was.

Where did you get this idea from that you should never leave a disc in it when you turn it on and off?

Read it somewhere, maybe a Playstation forum.

Apparently the disc can jump a bit when turned on as it will suddenly be jolted up to speed and can bounce off the reader, other than when inserting a disc while it's already on

This was about the 60gig and probably just a precautinary warning, but it couldn't hurt.

From most things that I have read, the YLOD is the 'general hardware failure' for the PS3. General hardware failures are usually due to heat: either too much at one time or too many heat cycles. People have apparently met with some success by opening their out of warranty PS3s and improving the cooling by replacing the thermal paste, cleaning out dust and polishing conductive surfaces. If you feel this is too advanced for you your best bet is to get it repaired by Sony.

Read it somewhere, maybe a Playstation forum.

Apparently the disc can jump a bit when turned on as it will suddenly be jolted up to speed and can bounce off the reader, other than when inserting a disc while it's already on

This was about the 60gig and probably just a precautinary warning, but it couldn't hurt.

Very interesting, I never heard that before. Seeing how I am anal with my systems and games I guess I am going to have to start doing this now.

mine ylod'ed on me right after i turned it on and then i heard asound looked up and there was this red light flashing so i tried to turn it on and then i saw the yellow light i wasn't mad though i thought that it was kind of funny that it happened a couple of days after i first heard about it and as far as leaving the game in i think he means don't leave the game in the ps3 on the off chance that it dies on you and you can't get the game out of it.

does anyone know if you can get your PSN name back if you don't have the original hardrive?

Edited by cajungamer

Probably not. I forgot to mention before that you have to format the HDD to a FAT32 file system. Very strange that Sony would still be in the dark ages there, considering that everything else about the PS3 is so advanced.

Is it only the gamesaves I need to back up? If so, I'll just use a USB Memory Stick

The only gamesave I worry about is my Resident Evil 5, as it doesn't allow you to copy it

I'm not sure. Mine just backs up everything, I think. Which is fine by me since I have a pretty big external. I don't know if there's a way to back up certain things only.

Of course, if all you want are the saves, back them up, but I don't know if you can get them without backing up everything else.

EDIT: Nope, I just tried it with my flash drive. It told me how much more free space I would need to perform the back up. It's not letting me choose what to back up. You could just delete everything else from your hard drive, though.

Edited by mjc0961

• 2 months later...

Hi. I also have the YLOD but i can still play my ps3. Something like once evrey 2weeks my ps3 crashes, when i turn it off a yellow light appears then goes off. Im able to turn my ps3 back on and its fine again.

I heard theres different types of YLOD's, so does anyone know which type i have?

Thanks.

As far as I know, there's only one type of YLOD and it means that your system is fucked. I've never heard of systems still working after they get YLOD, but I've had 360's that RRoD'd, worked a few hours later, then RRoD'd again, then worked a little more, and so on...

Eventually it will die permantely though, so get the repair process started and enjoy whatever play time you can still get out of your PS3 before the box comes. And make a back up of your files if you get the PS3 back on again.

can someone explain this to me on how this occurs? what is the frequency and is it a system fault? thanks.

I believe its basically a myth. Or largely a myth. A pathetic attempt to create a PS3 RLOD. The failure rate of the PS3 is less than 1%.

I believe its basically a myth. Or largely a myth. A pathetic attempt to create a PS3 RLOD. The failure rate of the PS3 is less than 1%.

Don't be an idiot, theres tons of videos on youtube of the yellow light and i've personally experienced it.

I find it pretty insulting for someone whose obviously misinformed to come on here and call it a "myth" when alot of us have genuinely lost save data and in some cases, money to cover the costs of a replacement.

So the only "pathetic attempt" around here, is you spouting rubbish on something you clearly have no idea about.

Don't be an idiot, theres tons of videos on youtube of the yellow light and i've personally experienced it.

I find it pretty insulting for someone whose obviously misinformed to come on here and call it a "myth" when alot of us have genuinely lost save data and in some cases, money to cover the costs of a replacement.

So the only "pathetic attempt" around here, is you spouting rubbish on something you clearly have no idea about.

If that post 'insulted' you, I suggest you avoid the internet because it may will crush you over sensitive nature.

so what I said, without the rage. Uppity I tell you.

*facepalm* Come on guys, can't anyone here say anything without turning a thread into a flame war? Knock it the fuck off.

jordan, it's incredibly ignorant to say that the YLOD is a myth for reasons mendel already described. SimplySupreme, there is absolutely no need for all these petty insults. Say it without the insults or don't say it at all.

What the fsck is wrong with you people today? : /

That's what I'd like to know. :(

Edited by mjc0961