How To Change From NAT Type 3 to NAT Type 2

SpiderMike

PS3 NAT Types (Generalized)

* NAT Type 1

You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.

* NAT Type 2

Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.

* NAT Type 3

You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

How to find out your NAT Type

To find out your PS3s NAT Type simply go to:

Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Test

You'll be disconnected from the PSN while you perform your test. Once complete you'll know which NAT Type your PS3 is.

If you have NAT3 connection on your PS3, sooner or later you are bound to notice problems when playing current and future PS3 games and features. The most common as of now is WarHawk. This guide will walk you through how to change your NAT type 3 to NAT 2 (Dont worry if your lost there is a glossary down below to tell you exactly what everything is!) so you can eliminate this discrepancy

Before we begin I will like to let you know there is more than one method to do this. One way is to enable DMZ for PS3 (some routers support this!) and/or disable UPnP You can also follow the tutorial below if all else fails!

If you have NAT3 this is what you should see:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/spidermike_reborn/1-1.jpg

Glossary

* DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)

Short for demilitarized zone, a computer or small subnetwork that sits between a trusted internal network, such as a corporate private LAN, and an untrusted external network, such as the public Internet.

* MAC Address (Media Access Control Address)

Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network medium. Consequently, each different type of network medium requires a different MAC layer.

* NAT (Network Address Translation)

Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.

* Port

In TCP/IP and UDP networks, an endpoint to a logical connection. The port number identifies what type of port it is. For example, port 80 is used for HTTP traffic.

* Port Range Forward

An interface on a computer to which you can connect a device. Personal computers have various types of ports. Internally, there are several ports for connecting disk drives, display screens, and keyboards. Externally, personal computers have ports for connecting modems, printers, mice, and other peripheral devices.

* Static IP

Generally refers to elements of the Internet or computer programming that are fixed and not capable of action or change. The opposite of static is dynamic.

* TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)

Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which they were sent.

* UDP (User Datagram Protocol)

Abbreviated UDP, a connectionless protocol that, like TCP, runs on top of IP networks. Unlike TCP/IP, UDP/IP provides very few error recovery services, offering instead a direct way to send and receive datagrams over an IP network. It's used primarily for broadcasting messages over a network.

* UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)

Short for Universal Plug and Play, a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment, software and peripherals of the 400+ vendors that are part of the Universal Plug and Play Forum.

How do I change my NAT Type

If your NAT Type 1 or 2 then you don't need to change a thing, everything is working as it should. If you're NAT Type 3 then you're in the right place and should try these steps. There is no guarantee what worked for me will work for you and since we all have different routers and I cannot offer support on your personal situation. The best I can do is tell you what worked for me and hope you can put the pieces together.

* In most cases you will have to assign your PS3 a static IP address. I can't tell you step by step how to do it to your router but hopefully now that you know what it's called you can find your way. You'll need to know your PS3s MAC address to assign a static IP. To find your MAC address simply go to

Settings > System Settings > System Information

You should now see your MAC address, I suggest you write it down.

* Once your PS3 has an static IP address you need to open up a few ports. In my situation I simply went to

Applications & Gaming > Port Range Forward

This is basically what I see..

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/spidermike_reborn/2-1.jpg

Ultimately you need to open ports

TCP: 80, 443, 5223

UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658

* Once you've done this turn off your PS3 and power cycle your router. Run another Internet Connection Test and you're hopefully NAT Type 2.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/spidermike_reborn/3-1.jpg

Congratulations your PS3 is now NAT Type 2 and fully functional!

image cred:nekon (cos I couldn't get NAT 3 even if I wanted to)

Might be worthwhile to change this into a general networking thread and then putting it up as a sticky. Any opinions?

Im easy

We could have a Tech Center like over at x360a. This would go there if we had one. :D

Whatever is best for the site.

Well yeah, you're the mods do what's best. I agree though maybe we do need a tech center for this. I have lots of guides I could post on behalf of PS3 networking.

I can't make new forums, unfortunately. But I will tell Webb to do it. ;)