Rumor: PS3 to get In-Game Video Chat

Bankshot123

http://sev1512.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/chat-resistance2.png?w=429&h=241

One of the most requested features to come with In-Game XMB was Voice Chat. However when 2.40 arrived, many people were disappointed to hear that it wouldn’t be featured with the update. Sony will deliver this addition sometime later this year, however they also hope to go one step further: In-Game Video Chat. And we’re not just talking about video chatting while you have the game paused. According to an inside source, In-Game Video Chat will enable you to video chat with a friend while actually playing your game. It will work in a similar fashion to BD-Live where there is a PiP (Picture in Picture) window in the top right corner of the screen so you can see your friend(s) while you chat with them. It’s unclear when exactly this will arrive but it should come via firmware update by the end of this year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see myself using the video chat feature much, unless it was with a lady from my PSN list. I'd use the voice chat once in awhile if someone wants to talk with me. Hey, it's better than having the phone on your shoulder while playing.

Are you people really buying this idea? I really doubt it'll happen.

After a year people doubted In-game XMB. And then what happened? Sony is starting to take chances and it seems it's working due to the PS3 just outselling the 360. They'll do anything they have to.

After a year people doubted In-game XMB. And then what happened? Sony is starting to take chances and it seems it's working due to the PS3 just outselling the 360. They'll do anything they have to.

Explain how, even though movement is paused in a game, the XMB lags.

Now try and tell me, a game can run at 60FPS, high resolution WITH a streaming video feed overlapping the game.

Seriously, is this rumor even remotely logical?

People have enough trouble running games at 60fps at 720p... Let's just deal with that for now. I'd be happy with just voice chat, thanks.

That's called bad coding, not lack of power.

The XMB has its own SPE, it doesn't have a lack of power running, it's just coded badly.

You'll see. By 2.60 it'll be smoother than an 18 year old's breasts.

So all this wait for the in-game xmb was because they were too lazy to code it before? I thought they were trying to iron out all the bugs and optimize it as much as they can before they release it.

Still, I would assume with Sony's coders' talent, they'll need a few years to make a game run without any hiccups with video stream at the same time. Not to mention that developers would have to implement it in their games because Microsoft has a patent for playing games while doing video chat (MSN games).

Ok, the last part was a joke, but let's be realistic here and just deal with what we have and what we might possibly get.

This is impossible this generation. A web browser crashes the whole PS3 system or keeps asking you to close a window because it doesn't have enough memory...

Edit: Just forget what I said... If they do it, then great. I'll be happy. Until then I doubt it. Let's just hope people don't get to a point where every firmware that comes out and this thing isn't announced, they get pissy and talk shit about the PS3.

Edited by HenryHSH

I agree that people shouldn't expect everything now, and huge new features every firmware update.

On the coding side, No, it's not that they're lazy, it's that they need a working product to optimize. Basically, what they do is go through trial and error, until they get a fully working, non crashing product.

Then, they release the product, and optimize it over the next half dozen or so updates, removing the bad code, and in the process, finding better ways, and more efficient ways to make the product work, therefore making the product perform better.

It's near impossible to get something perfect the first time, they just get it working, and iron out the bugs later. That's how it works.

I imagine if they ever implimented in game video chat, it would be like 10 fps to start, and low ass bandwidth, then, after a half dozen updates, it would be optimized to 15 or 20 fps, and have different res settings, et al.