what speed is needed for Netflix streaming? and is anything in HD?

Copperkid

im trying out this 2 week trial and i'm streaming a movie, now i know that i dont have the fastest speed through AT&T but i'm wanting to upgrade if necessary. anyways i currently have Downstream up to 3.0 Mbps and Upstream up to 512 Kbps. and was looking to go one step up to the fastest which is 6.0 Mbps and 768. i just wanted to ask any of you that use this streaming service on ur ps3 if this was enough (the 6.0) to stop the movie from buffering throughout the film.

it seemed to buffer like every 15-20 mins. also i noticed that even the "HD" movies on there would still come in at 480p on my tv. as well as the other streaming movies. is there anything above this to actually get 720 or higher or int he works?

any hints or tips would be a lot of help in my decision to keep this service. i dont know much about the download speeds and stuff like that but i wanted to see if anyone else had ran into this problem or if they had something 6.0 or near there that didnt run into any buffering troubles. thank you

I have the same exact package plan with AT&T. I couldn't get the fastest because I'm just out of range for it right now. However, I too use Netflix for streaming movies and have had no problem whatsoever with that speed (knock on wood):

Downstream Up to 3.0 Mbps

Upstream Up to 512 Kbps

I've only watched about 10 different movies so far though. The cost for the pacakge I have (without a home phone line) is $40/month.

I have the same exact package plan with AT&T. I couldn't get the fastest because I'm just out of range for it right now. However, I too use Netflix for streaming movies and have had no problem whatsoever with that speed (knock on wood):

Downstream Up to 3.0 Mbps

Upstream Up to 512 Kbps

I've only watched about 10 different movies so far though. The cost for the pacakge I have (without a home phone line) is $40/month.

is this wifi as well through to ur ps3?

This is what it says on Netflix:

Certain titles are available to watch in HD on your PC/Mac; and on your TV via a Netflix Ready Device.

To watch in HD on your PC or Mac, you need the following:

Silverlight 3 or higher

A screen resolution of at least 800 x 600

A high-speed internet connection at time of playback (typically 5 Mbps or higher)

To watch in HD on your TV via a Netflix Ready Device, you need the following:

An HD TV and component or HDMI connection from your Netflix ready device to your TV

A high-speed internet connection at time of playback (typically 5 Mbps or higher

I've been using Netflix on demand thru the PS3 for a while now and its awesome. I cant remember what my internet speed is though.

By the way Copperkid, I like your avatar. Silverhawks rock!!!!

Edited by razorwind

I watch plenty of netflix HD thru my PS3 on my tv. I do run my PS3 wireless as my apartment complex won't allow me to run cables all over the place. I rarely have issues though. I go through comcast. My wireless router is a netgear rangemax-N

Imo netflix instant streaming is well worth it. I especially love all the B horror movies they have on there!!

I don't stream on my PS3 or Wii but I do stream pretty often on my iPad through both my wifi at home and my 3g service on AT&T. I don't know what 3g is capable of speed wise but I have watched it on there with no buffering and the stuff has been in HD so it's definitely possible to do it on less than stellar internet.

And like you said, I know they offer stuff in 420p. I don't know whether they offer anything in 720p but I can assure you they do not carry anything in 1080p streaming.

For watching on my iPad, the quality is definitely good enough. If I were going to use the streaming service on my PS3 I might be dissapointed by the HD if they only had it in 420p but that's why I don't stream anything onto it.