Kontrol Freek Analog Extenders

eLefAdEr

controller_w_logo2.png

XBox 360 & PS3 Precision Engineered Controller Accessories | KontrolFreek

Has anyone tried these? Both types look interesting. I would think that reaching the buttons would take just a split second longer since your thumb has to travel a little further. Could take some getting used to.

I like that it gives PS3 controllers a convex top of the analog sticks; I've used a 360 controller for many, many hours and now that I've been using a PS3 controller for almost a year now, I still give the slight edge to the 360's analog sticks, which is what the FPS Freek seems to mimmick.

I have them. I have the FPS ones and the Racing "U" shaped ones. They click onto L3 and R3 perfectly. No slippage, and they don't come off when things get intense. The concave design is ideal for when your thumbs get sweaty. I'll never understand why Sony didn't use this style on their controllers. Well built, great design. If you like the 360 thumb toggles, then these are definitely worth your money. I have never owned a 360 and I still prefer these. It just makes more sense. As for hitting the buttons these add-ons don't get in the way at all.

I don't know if they improved my KZ2 abilities, but they definitely didn't make them any worse.

Edited by FiftyQuid

kira;681683']I'm not saying I dislike them because they're on the XBOX' date=' I just don't like how the tip of the sticks round in instead of out. I like out alot better.[/quote']Easy dude. It's a preference thing. I like in, you like out. All is good. :dance:

Right on, Fifty. I'm thinking about getting them, but wonder if there's a "learning curve" associated with the extra distance between the sticks and the buttons. I don't have a racing game yet, but I really enjoyed Forza, Burnout and Dirt when I had a 360.
eLefAdEr, I'd buy the FPS ones. I haven't used the "U" type very much. In fact, they are back in the case they came in. I found the tips of the "U" limited your steering. You could still go left and right, but not as far as without them installed. I'm only talking about millimeters here, but I didn't like it. I couldn't get use to the positioning on them either. I started with the "U" perpendicular to the control, then slowly tweaked it counter-clockwise, but I never really felt 100% with them.

With the FPS Freeks installed there is minimal rubbing. If you push R3 all the way to the right you'll rub up against the :circle: sometimes, but it's not enough to care about, and it has never misfired a button on me. When you're installing them, they pretty much snap on. I used a small precision screwdriver to make sure they sat on top of the toggles properly. If you order them, and snap them on you'll understand what I'm talking about. Underneath is where I used the screwdriver to "perfect" the installation. If you want I can maybe do up a video for you, but I can't promise when it'll be done as I'm busy all weekend.

The FPS obviously take a little bit to get use to. The L3 and R3 are higher by about half an inch. I've played for hours with them installed and I don't find my hands cramp up, or that there is any fatigue. It feels normal after a while.

BTW, I find I use the FPS for racing games too. :)

Edited by FiftyQuid

They look uncomfortable to me, but I'd have to actually hold it in my hands before I could state an opinion one way or the other.
They aren't bad. Like I said, you just have to get use to them. This thread has inspired me to do up a video review. I'll try to get it posted here within the week.

Isn't there an L2/R2 add-on as well?

You're thinking triggers. They're made by someone else. Hit the SEARCH and I'm sure you'll find a thread related to them.

I ordered them a while ago as well as the other ones (Speed Freek). I play with a Xbox360 controller on my PS3 and the FPS Freeks fit very well. I only put it on the right stick for the aiming though. I don't play FPS at all on consoles but it was also nice for Dead Space.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I'm about to order the FPS ones, just looking around the 'net to see if there's a better price than the official website.

Don't feel like you have to post that video review just for me, Fifty... but I won't stop you, either. :D

I'm not promising anything.

BTW, don't bother looking around for a better price. I couldn't find one. Buy them from the source.

OK, I'm not waiting anymore. I just finished my order for the FPSFreek ones through their eBay store -- always nice to pad the feedback profile. :D And I also ordered the L2/R2 trigger extenders from GameStop. :o

I just pimped my controller... I'll take a pic and post it here when everything's installed.

I should be getting them later next week, so I will report my first impressions soon and perhaps a more in-depth review after I've put in some more playing time with them.

Thanks again to Fifty and everyone else for their input!

• 2 weeks later...

I received these in the mail last week, and now that I've put about 10 hours of playing time in with them installed, I have a couple of tips/suggestions for anyone who is considering a purchase:

1) I've noticed there is a small amount of contact/rubbing that occurs between the tabs that hold the extenders in place and the plastic housing of the controller. This friction is minimal and happens only within a specific range of the full 360º range of motion -- between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the right analog stick, and between 9 and 12 on the left (or the raised area of the d-pad on the left and the button pad on the right). If you want to make it as smooth as possible, you can sand or grind the edges of the tabs so that the rubbing stops -- but be VERY careful not to remove too much or the tabs won't grip the top of the analog stick properly, and you'll be screwed. Before attempting this, install the extenders, test their range of motion and take notice of how much contact is taking place; then you can remove the proper amount of the tabs without overdoing it.

2) Having both extenders installed can be cumbersome with certain games. A good example is Battlefield: Bad Company 2, as I like to use the Select button to spot enemies. When the left analog extender is installed, this becomes very difficult to do on a regular basis. I have since removed the left analog extender and kept the right analog extender in place, and it feels very comfortable.

These are two very minor issues in my mind; overall I am very satisfied with their quality and performance. I may post detailed pictures in the near future for reference.

They look a bit protrousive...couldn't they have moulded the white case onto halfway up the analgoue stick's surface, instead of having the full stick holding up the surface? And the white looks a bit disspleasing on the black PS3 controller.

Might get a set, I loved the Realtech triggers so the same may be true for these.