XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > General Discussion > PlayStation Conversation > PS3 Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Default Kontrol Freek Analog Extenders

XBox 360 & PS3 Precision Engineered Controller Accessories | KontrolFreek

Has anyone tried these? Both types look interesting. I would think that reaching the buttons would take just a split second longer since your thumb has to travel a little further. Could take some getting used to.

I like that it gives PS3 controllers a convex top of the analog sticks; I've used a 360 controller for many, many hours and now that I've been using a PS3 controller for almost a year now, I still give the slight edge to the 360's analog sticks, which is what the FPS Freek seems to mimmick.

eLefAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to [PS3T]kira

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Helping Hand   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

Those look like they would hurt my thumbs.
[PS3T]kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Those are pretty ugly.

IamCaboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jake_357

Awards Showcase 10,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

How are you suppose to melee in a game?

And no one sings me lullabies, And no one makes me close my eyes, So I throw the windows wide, And call to you across the sky...
Jake_357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   A+ Thread Award   5,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Bright Idea!   Member of the Month Winner   Killzone Gaming Night Award   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)

I have them. I have the FPS ones and the Racing "U" shaped ones. They click onto L3 and R3 perfectly. No slippage, and they don't come off when things get intense. The concave design is ideal for when your thumbs get sweaty. I'll never understand why Sony didn't use this style on their controllers. Well built, great design. If you like the 360 thumb toggles, then these are definitely worth your money. I have never owned a 360 and I still prefer these. It just makes more sense. As for hitting the buttons these add-ons don't get in the way at all.

I don't know if they improved my KZ2 abilities, but they definitely didn't make them any worse.

Last edited by FiftyQuid; 04-11-2010 at 01:36 AM.
FiftyQuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Helping Hand   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Bronze Submission

These things look like XBOX sticks, and I hate that feeling. I'd rather have it rounded out than in.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   A+ Thread Award   5,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Bright Idea!   Member of the Month Winner   Killzone Gaming Night Award   Bronze Submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PS3T]kira View Post
These things look like XBOX sticks, and I hate that feeling. I'd rather have it rounded out than in.
They should. They were designed around the XBOX sticks. I'm a PS3 fanboy and I still like them.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyQuid View Post
They should. They were designed around the XBOX sticks. I'm a PS3 fanboy and I still like them.
I'm not saying I dislike them because they're on the XBOX, I just don't like how the tip of the sticks round in instead of out. I like out alot better.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Right on, Fifty. I'm thinking about getting them, but wonder if there's a "learning curve" associated with the extra distance between the sticks and the buttons. I don't have a racing game yet, but I really enjoyed Forza, Burnout and Dirt when I had a 360.

eLefAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PS3T]kira View Post
I'm not saying I dislike them because they're on the XBOX, I just don't like how the tip of the sticks round in instead of out. I like out alot better.
Easy dude. It's a preference thing. I like in, you like out. All is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLefAdEr View Post
Right on, Fifty. I'm thinking about getting them, but wonder if there's a "learning curve" associated with the extra distance between the sticks and the buttons. I don't have a racing game yet, but I really enjoyed Forza, Burnout and Dirt when I had a 360.
eLefAdEr, I'd buy the FPS ones. I haven't used the "U" type very much. In fact, they are back in the case they came in. I found the tips of the "U" limited your steering. You could still go left and right, but not as far as without them installed. I'm only talking about millimeters here, but I didn't like it. I couldn't get use to the positioning on them either. I started with the "U" perpendicular to the control, then slowly tweaked it counter-clockwise, but I never really felt 100% with them.

With the FPS Freeks installed there is minimal rubbing. If you push R3 all the way to the right you'll rub up against the sometimes, but it's not enough to care about, and it has never misfired a button on me. When you're installing them, they pretty much snap on. I used a small precision screwdriver to make sure they sat on top of the toggles properly. If you order them, and snap them on you'll understand what I'm talking about. Underneath is where I used the screwdriver to "perfect" the installation. If you want I can maybe do up a video for you, but I can't promise when it'll be done as I'm busy all weekend.

The FPS obviously take a little bit to get use to. The L3 and R3 are higher by about half an inch. I've played for hours with them installed and I don't find my hands cramp up, or that there is any fatigue. It feels normal after a while.

BTW, I find I use the FPS for racing games too.

Last edited by FiftyQuid; 04-11-2010 at 02:44 AM.