A friend request plea

CypherNova139

<rant> (if wrong forum, please move. Tried finding a matching forum... If this has been said before, sorry. Had to rant.)

Lately I've been getting a few strange friend requests. And a LOT of blank ones.

A few examples:

First one: Wanted help with NFS:Most wanted for the 5 friends trophy, but only found that out when I asked why, his FR was blank. When I replied and asked him why he was friending me, his first sentence was "Well don't accept me then". Ok that's a compelling reason to accept you. Delete.

Second: Some guy sent me a blank request, asked him why, no response. Checked trophies, literally nothing in common. Next day I delete the request, only to have a new one of his show up a few hours later. Sent reply back asking why, no response, delete, get new request next morning. Repeat 2 more times.

About used the block list on him but haven't gotten a new request lately, must have gotten the hint.

Third: I helped someone get the co-op trophy in R&C Full Frontal Assault (Vita version). His friends comment on the (P) trophy activity, including me (had to tell him congrats ;) ). One of his friends then sends me a blank fr. Asked him why and he tells me since I'm friends with the (P) earner I should be friends with him (He had bad English so I assume this is what he meant). Checked trophies, nothing in common again. I said no to his request and he sends back this message, and I quote: "You're a coward." (complete with screenshot of his photo app on his vita showing a picture of sad face of him, was creepy). I msgd the (P) friend to unfriend him too.

Fourth: Got a blank request from a level 25. Huh? I would think at that high level this is common sense to NOT send blank requests. Replied and asked him why (checked trophies, nothing in common again) and I quote: "FORGET IT". Still don't know why the fr.

TL;DR

When you send a friend request you MUST put some sort of note explaining why I am receiving this request. Whether you mention a game title or write an essay doesnt really matter. To me blank requests shows 1) You can't take the time to write so you're not really serious. 2) You are a noob and playing with you will be annoying. 3) You assume I read minds. No I don't.

Since I help with several different games, making me look at trophies and guess as to which game you wanted help with, or just friending me to have a 278th friend on your list is annoying. And I don't friend just to be friends, got to have a game in common.

</rant>

What silly requests have you gotten?

Thought you were asking for friends. :facepalm: Sorry mods :o

I get the odd one here and there where they look at my profile asking for help, I ignore since I have the (P), self boosting the game, or don't plain have the game anymore.

I do get a few blank ones here and there which I ignore anyways.

I agree with you OP about sending messages in friend requests. I have no idea who you are or what you want, especially since I receive about 3-4 requests a day. I also hate when friends of people you've gamed with, send you request for their games.

I was boosting Tomb Raider with 3 people. Literally after helping them get the platinum for 5-6 hours, they had 3-4 more people join and they left. The new people told me the previous players told them I was the go-to person for the platinum. I would have felt bad if I told them I was done playing Tomb Raider so the next day I helped them.

After helping them, I got more requests for Tomb Raider help so I helped the next and rinse and repeat. After 4-5 straight days of helping 10+ people get Tomb Raider platinums, I deleted the game from my PS3 and just told people I didn't have the game anymore.

I'm willing to help people but these guys could have helped their friends instead of sending them to me. Every time I turned on the system, I would have a ton of messages asking if I was going to play Tomb Raider. I couldn't even continue working on my backlog peacefully being flooding with TR invites. I never want to see Tomb Raider again. I thought buying the Definitive Edition but it repulses me when I see it.

[EDIT] I had to put "No more TR" for my little shout out box on my profile to stop the invites and messages after.

Edited by JayPBM

Third: I msgd the (P) friend to unfriend him too.

Did he do that?

On-topic: I used to get a lot of blank FRs but i never really looked at the person's profile to check if we had any games in common, i always denied them. Every once in a while i'd get a FR from someone who actually writes something, but i always ended up deleting them some time late, i felt bad for doing that and it was making me overthink too much, so i decided to change my privacy settings.

Also, i have a story to share just like the ones you wrote in the OP: one person called me "selfish" or some other shit because i didn't want to add him. Basically, he tried to friend me but since we don't have any friends in common he messaged me saying something like "add me because i can't [add you]". I then replied with: "sorry, but i don't add people anymore", after that he decided to be a jerk and make me feel bad, without going too in-depth he told me that my "[trophy] level isn't good", i found it ironic because he had his trophies private. Oddly enough, one day later he decided to send me a message apologizing for what he said. It was weird, maybe his mom saw what he was doing. :whistle:

I used to send blank FRs back when i got my PS3 but i was never mean to people, if they asked me who i was i'd reply to them. I used to add people i found on YouTube and just like i do now, they all deleted me at some point. History repeats itself. Now a days if i wanna add someone, it's probably because i wanna boost some trophy with them and instead of sending a FR i send a message first, some of them reply, others don't... who knows why, who cares.

I honestly don't have a problem with blank friend requests. I don't know if people here are overly paranoid about blank friend requests or it's just a 'me' thing, but I honestly don't see the harm in adding a person just because they don't explicitly say why they are adding me or how they know of me. It's part of the social experience of online connectivity.

I honestly don't have a problem with blank friend requests. I don't know if people here are overly paranoid about blank friend requests or it's just a 'me' thing, but I honestly don't see the harm in adding a person just because they don't explicitly say why they are adding me or how they know of me. It's part of the social experience of online connectivity.

Me either. When I came over to this forum I picked up the mentality that "blank requests are evil" and just never accepted the ones that had no explanation. Now I'm less strict because I don't really care if they're on my friend's list and can more easily see public PSN info about me. They had some reason or another for adding me, maybe it was a putting in a random series of letters, but it never bothered me if it was blank. Now I'm just add happy although I do ask that, if they can, put in where they heard about me.

Plus, messaging is always nice. :)

That's nice if you like a huge friends list. For those of us who would rather manage it and not let it grow to crazy size, and actually be friends with those who are in friends list instead of hundreds of people you never even talked to, then I check trophies for games in common, no blank friend requests, no one under trophy level 4 (below that shows you are brand new), etc. being more strict.

You are popular and can just delete them. Imagine how many some of the worlds top gamers get. I got several the other day and actually added them. They met me in a chat lobby and seemed like cool brits. Most I delete unless they have a specific thing we would be focusing on and they post it in the message. Happy Thanksgiving gamers!

That's nice if you like a huge friends list. For those of us who would rather manage it and not let it grow to crazy size, and actually be friends with those who are in friends list instead of hundreds of people you never even talked to, then I check trophies for games in common, no blank friend requests, no one under trophy level 4 (below that shows you are brand new), etc. being more strict.

It's not that I particularly like a large friends list, but it organically grew to be the size it is today because I don't discriminate. Looking through my friends list, I recall interacting with 89 out of 117 people. I still interact with a good majority of them, but some are friends' accounts that don't get on often or people I added when I was part of this site's clans. You prefer a tight list of friends while I'm cool with an open list of acquaintances and friends alike. Your way is certainly not wrong, but from my experience I can say some of the best people I've talked to were added from a blank friend request.

I'll add them as it doesn't really bother me. If there is no interaction for a while or if they ask me to game share I'll delete them. I figure that they have gone to the effort to add me so there must be a reason they want to be friends.

It takes less than 5 seconds to delete someone from your friends list, so there is no reason to worry about them.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll add them as it doesn't really bother me. If there is no interaction for a while or if they ask me to game share I'll delete them. I figure that they have gone to the effort to add me so there must be a reason they want to be friends.

It takes less than 5 seconds to delete someone from your friends list, so there is no reason to worry about them.

Exactly this. None of my 'real-life friends' game on the Ps3 so I don't mind finding a few folks with similar game tastes etc...to have online. Most are folks I met through boosting.